Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

MasterGGM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Below is my video:

2018 Mustang GT PP1
Build Date: 11/14/2017

(1) I initially took the vehicle to Galpin Ford, with an appointment and with a Ford customer care case open. They were going to keep my car for 10 days before they looked at the vehicle because they were over-booked. They "tried to re-create the tick" and couldn't. I had taken my vehicle in for a lot of other alignment issues. The service adviser said the misalignments are within Ford's 10% acceptable threshold. I laughed at them and said there is no such thing as a manufacturer having a 10% acceptance threshold.. they were just trying to get rid of me. AVOID GALPIN FORD AT ALL COST! (2) I took the car back and went to Vista Ford in Woodland Hills. They could not recreate the noise. (3) Took it back to Vista, again could not recreate it. (4) Took it in again and they couldn't recreate the noise so I went in and recreated the noise - tech said it was normal but I can bring it in for the service manager to hear it. (5) Went on a Saturday to meet with the Service Manager, recreated the issue, the manager heard it and recorded a video for Ford hotline. (6) My digital dash randomly crashed and turned off for about 10 seconds a few days later - scheduled service and took the car in. Left the car in for both the digital cluster and the tick. They could not re-create the digital dash issue but went back and forth with Ford hotline about the tick. Ford told them to change the intake manifold. Apparently, this fixed the engine rattle (which I didn't even know I had) but the tick is still there (after I went in to re-create the sound for the service manager - within 5 seconds). (7) Left the car there and they are trying to get an FSE (ford engineer?) to look at the car. (8) Emailed the customer care manager stating that I have accumulated over 30 days of downtime for the vehicle (CA Lemon Law) and will be pursuing a replacement with a higher MSRP. Haven't gotten a response yet.

TLDR: Galpin ford is the worst dealer ever. Vista Ford (highly recommend) is working to fix the car; intake manifold didn't fix the tick - currently working with Ford hotline. I have accumulated over 30 days of downtime (warranty work) within the first 18 months/18,000 miles and will pursue a replacement.
Sponsored

Amiller324

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 10speed auto
Below is my video:

2018 Mustang GT PP1

(1) I initially took the vehicle to Galpin Ford, with an appointment and with a Ford customer care case open. They were going to keep my car for 10 days before they looked at the vehicle because they were over-booked. They "tried to re-create the tick" and couldn't. I had taken my vehicle in for a lot of other alignment issues. The service adviser said the misalignments are within Ford's 10% acceptable threshold. I laughed at them and said there is no such thing as a manufacturer having a 10% acceptance threshold.. they were just trying to get rid of me. AVOID GALPIN FORD AT ALL COST! (2) I took the car back and went to Vista Ford in Woodland Hills. They could not recreate the noise. (3) Took it back to Vista, again could not recreate it. (4) Took it in again and they couldn't recreate the noise so I went in and recreated the noise - tech said it was normal but I can bring it in for the service manager to hear it. (5) Went on a Saturday to meet with the Service Manager, recreated the issue, the manager heard it and recorded a video for Ford hotline. (6) My digital dash randomly crashed and turned off for about 10 seconds a few days later - scheduled service and took the car in. Left the car in for both the digital cluster and the tick. They could not re-create the digital dash issue but went back and forth with Ford hotline about the tick. Ford told them to change the intake manifold. Apparently, this fixed the engine rattle (which I didn't even know I had) but the tick is still there (after I went in to re-create the sound for the service manager - within 5 seconds). (7) Left the car there and they are trying to get an FSE (ford engineer?) to look at the car. (8) Emailed the customer care manager stating that I have accumulated over 30 days of downtime for the vehicle (CA Lemon Law) and will be pursuing a replacement with a higher MSRP. Haven't gotten a response yet.

TLDR: Galpin ford is the worst dealer ever. Vista Ford (highly recommend) is working to fix the car; intake manifold didn't fix the tick - currently working with Ford hotline. I have accumulated over 30 days of downtime (warranty work) within the first 18 months/18,000 miles and will pursue a replacement.
Oh wow! I have noticed tonight when the hood was up there is definitely a tick also. I hope everything works with yours. I feel like this is going to be one hell of a battle.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Below is my video:

2018 Mustang GT PP1

I am pretty hesitant to believe the intake manifold has anything to do with the rattle.

MasterGGM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Below is my video:

2018 Mustang GT PP1

Update 10-26-2018: Dealer called and informed me that Ford deems the ticking noise normal and is a characteristic of the Gen 3 Coyote engine. They refused to send out a technician to look at the vehicle. I will not be accepting this conclusion. However, I have started my buyback process and will know if my buyback is approved 10/31. If approved I will follow through with a replacement/refund. If denied, I will follow up with Ford.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Ford just gave me my car back saying they did not have any solution either so, guess im just going to send it. I will add ceratec and hope for the best.

Sponsored

MasterGGM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Update 10-26-2018: Dealer called and informed me that Ford deems the ticking noise normal and is a characteristic of the Gen 3 Coyote engine. They refused to send out a technician to look at the vehicle. I will not be accepting this conclusion. However, I have started my buyback process and will know if my buyback is approved 10/31. If approved I will follow through with a replacement/refund. If denied, I will follow up with Ford.
Update 10-26-2018 v2: See below dealer invoice notes. They basically compared the noise to the noise of other GTs on the lot. (1) https://ibb.co/nJNWaq (2) https://ibb.co/fadR8A

20181026-175434.jpg

20181026-175411.jpg

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Ford just gave me my car back saying they did not have any solution either so, guess im just going to send it. I will add ceratec and hope for the best.

I have this tick in my 16'. Ceratec worked for about 3 weeks and now the tick is coming back.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Pure BS .. My tech got rid of the tick when he cancelled one of the cylinders, thats not freaking normal... Metal shaving in oil.. they are blowing smoke up your ass..

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Pure BS .. My tech got rid of the nick when he cancelled one of the cylinders, thats not freaking normal... Metal shaving in oil.. they are blowing smoke up your ass..
I agree. My original theory on this is piston slap/knock. I still think it is, but it is a slap caused by a misfire/ignition issue. Usually just in one or two cylinders, and random. Guys are getting their engines torn apart, and the techs aren't finding anything wrong. Whole small blocks replaced, only to have the tick return within a month or so. When they change out a small block, do they install all new sensors and an ECU? Probably not.
The guy in the other thread got his tick fixed by changing out a bad can sensor. Of course, the next day his car died, and it's back in the shop.

Still, I think this is piston slap, probably caused by a timing issue of sorts.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I agree. My original theory on this is piston slap/knock. I still think it is, but it is a slap caused by a misfire/ignition issue. Usually just in one or two cylinders, and random. Guys are getting their engines torn apart, and the techs aren't finding anything wrong. Whole small blocks replaced, only to have the tick return within a month or so. When they change out a small block, do they install all new sensors and an ECU? Probably not.
The guy in the other thread got his tick fixed by changing out a bad can sensor. Of course, the next day his car died, and it's back in the shop.

Still, I think this is piston slap, probably caused by a timing issue of sorts.
I think its wrist pin or bearings .. both would cause knock which I do get on my datalogger and would explain damage to cylinders. I didn't get any misfire codes, tech did not get any while testing for it either. I am certain ford knows what it is but isn't saying.

Read a review from someone how ford built bad engines for trucks, design flaw, ended up changing there patent because of it and when customer pointed out the patent change when calling ford and wanted his engine fixed while out of warranty they hanged up on him lol

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Well 55% of poll respondents voted yes, so thats more than half.

Mine was assembled in flatrock, does anyone whos car was assembled in flatrock not have the tapping? Or are all mustangs assembled there?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think its wrist pin or bearings .. both would cause knock which I do get on my datalogger and would explain damage to cylinders. I didn't get any misfire codes, tech did not get any while testing for it either. I am certain ford knows what it is but isn't saying.

Read a review from someone how ford built bad engines for trucks, design flaw, ended up changing there patent because of it and when customer pointed out the patent change when calling ford and wanted his engine fixed while out of warranty they hanged up on him lol
That's interesting. If a wrist pin is bad, wouldn't it still make noise, even if the ignition coil on that cylinder was pulled? It's still cycling, and compressing fuel, etc.

That's why I keep thinking it's a timing issue. It only happens when igniting. Especially when the guy in the other thread had his tick fixed by replacing cam sensors.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well 55% of poll respondents voted yes, so thats more than half.

Mine was assembled in flatrock, does anyone whos car was assembled in flatrock not have the tapping? Or are all mustangs assembled there?
All Mustangs are assembled in Flatrock, but the Engines are built in Canada.

Paddy_0511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EU GT 5.0
So, after 7 weeks my dealer has changed my long block. No rattle anymore, i hope it will be so for ever. Does anyone has postive experience, after a new long block change? Will it be forever dissappear`?

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
So, after 7 weeks my dealer has changed my long block. No rattle anymore, i hope it will be so for ever. Does anyone has postive experience, after a new long block change? Will it be forever dissappear`?
Your story is making me think I am being bullshitted... My dealer is telling me they will know within 24-48 hours if they have approval and could have the motor there in 2 days.. Why does this seem like a pipe dream.... 7 weeks?

Nevermind I see your in europe
Sponsored

Last edited: