Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Why do people bash the newer models so much? I get it ya'll own the current version and are love with it, but that don't mean ya'll ruin the fun for the future mustang buyers. I saw this exact same trend when the 2015 mustangs first launched :shrug:
Exactly right. The same trend repeats, and you can see very similar reactions in the early 2015 threads after it leaked.

Rest assured, once the order banks open and 2018s get into the hands of actual owners, any trolling/bashing will not be tolerated. The same courtesy that was extended to 2015 owners will be carried forward to the refresh.

P.S. nice animations OP :cheers:. The 2018 looked awesome in Orange Fury at the NY show.
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Profile view is almost indistinguishable. I thought the hood line would be noticeably lower.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Has nothing to do with hating the new product, it's about personal opinion. We all love Mustangs and some us feel feel they went in the wrong direction with the design of the 2018.
IMO they're finally going in the right direction by adding what some consider standard technology into the 2018. I've seen comparable vehicles with many years on the more recent mustang look much better interior wise. The digital cluster should have been in the mustang 5 years ago.

I also think the 3rd and 5th gens are ugly as sin but that's my personal opinion.

Sponsored

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
IMO they're finally going in the right direction by adding what some consider standard technology into the 2018. I've seen comparable vehicles with many years on the more recent mustang look much better interior wise. The digital cluster should have been in the mustang 5 years ago.

I also think the 3rd and 5th gens are ugly as sin but that's my personal opinion.
Can't argue the technological advances in the 2018. I actually thought
the 2018 Mustang design would go towards the GT-350

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Can't argue the technological advances in the 2018. I actually thought
the 2018 Mustang design would go towards the GT-350
That would have been great cosmetically but it would have partially cannibalized their base 350 sells.

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Exactly right. The same trend repeats, and you can see very similar reactions in the early 2015 threads after it leaked.

Rest assured, once the order banks open and 2018s get into the hands of actual owners, any trolling/bashing will not be tolerated. The same courtesy that was extended to 2015 owners will be carried forward to the refresh.

P.S. nice animations OP :cheers:. The 2018 looked awesome in Orange Fury at the NY show.
Thanks Jarstang! :cheers: I was having too much trouble seeing the exact difference in side-by-side so this was what I thought of to show the subtleties.

And you right, people get invested in what they have, or used to it, and generally resist change despite the claims to the opposite. The only place that I have not seen this is with Apple products, where the entire user base will flock like lemmings to the newest version, with the feeling that their old phone, despite being the fondest desire the previous year, is now somehow unable to handle even the most basic of functions. :D

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Profile view is almost indistinguishable. I thought the hood line would be noticeably lower.
I thought so too. Again this might be partially due to a slight perspective difference between the two. I also thought that the top of the grill and lights were moved down but they appear to be in the same place, with some changes to definition and rake around the lights. This might partially be due to the more defined character lines on the '15-17 breaking up the size of the hood visually, with the '18 the hood appears much more prominent to my eyes.

FireDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tacoma / 2012 HD Fatboy Lo
Has nothing to do with hating the new product, it's about personal opinion. We all love Mustangs and some us feel feel they went in the wrong direction with the design of the 2018.
This. For everybody that likes the refresh, great! Not knocking anyone who likes it and buys one. Some of us just really wanted it to come out and be blown away. And when it didn't, there's a little resentment and disappointment there. Still team Mustang! :ford:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
We're going to have to agree to disagree on that point. A car that claims to be a 'sports car' (Ford.com) and which has legitimate claims to be at least a 'sporty car' should be able to stand on its own for the driving experience alone. For the Mustang to chase technology that others use to brighten up the ownership experience of less sporty vehicles would be a dilution of its character toward everybody else's luxury orientation.

I have no problems with its styling evolution - though I'm not crazy about the head-on front view, that's a minor niggle that would get overlooked as soon as I sit in the driver seat. I've overlooked bigger miscues in approaches to styling as seen on first sight, and not given it second thought after buying the car anyway.

Norm

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
We're going to have to agree to disagree on that point. A car that claims to be a 'sports car' (Ford.com) and which has legitimate claims to be at least a 'sporty car' should be able to stand on its own for the driving experience alone. For the Mustang to chase technology that others use to brighten up the ownership experience of less sporty vehicles would be a dilution of its character toward everybody else's luxury orientation.

I have no problems with its styling evolution - though I'm not crazy about the head-on front view, that's a minor niggle that would get overlooked as soon as I sit in the driver seat. I've overlooked bigger miscues in approaches to styling as seen on first sight, and not given it second thought after buying the car anyway.

Norm
The issue I have with that statement is I don't believe these bare bones sports cars exist in the way that some enthusiasts would like them to. In the very high-end market of supercars you can find the vehicles with bare cabin internals but amazing speed machines. Unless someone DIY's their vehicle in such a way it, it just wouldn't sell to the masses as a bare performance car at these prices. Muscle cars are needing to change to increase sales. In the end that's all that really matters toward them remaining in production. It's the entire reason it's logical that the V8 will phase out soon in lower end vehicles.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Who is in charge of the 18 refresh because i know Dave Pericak has been moved up to ford performance.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Who is in charge of the 18 refresh because i know Dave Pericak has been moved up to ford performance.
Carl Widmann is Dave Pericak's replacement.

Carl worked on the 2015 Mustang and was seen in one of the videos explaining the aerodynamics.

And here he is again :)

[ame]

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
True it's opinion but the design is 90% is the same as the 15-17 & people act like it's a change from the S197 to the S550.

I was at the NY Auto show and I asked my GF which she liked (the '17 black GT or the '18 yellow) and she was like "the color??" and I was like no the design and I had to show her the differences.

The average and even more then average person IS NOT going to notice a difference in these models from 15-17 to the 18.

That's the point ... the hate for the changes are honestly absurd.
Sponsored