Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
The ZL1 came in cheaper than I thought and the 1LE way more expensive. Come on Ford give us something!!!!!!
To be fair, the new 1LE package includes options the old one didn't, like the Recaro seats. I saw a breakdown of it on another site and it is a seriously impressive value.
Sponsored

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Hmmm... I'm at a loss as to why an auto couldn't be employed on 800hp...
It could, of course, but it comes down to engineering bandwidth, manufacturing capacity, and logistics. For a quick example, Dodge licenses the 8HP transmission design from ZF and builds them under the TorqFlite brand. But the variant of the 8HP that can handle the Hellcat's torque is not the one they license, so they buy the 8HP90 direct from ZF in Germany.

Rumor has it that the new 10-speed will be used for the GT500. My guess is that the mainstream unit won't be able to handle the torque an 800HP motor would put out so the question is if Ford & Chevy have a high torque variant ready to go or not. If they can spread it among enough models it becomes practical, if not it might be cost prohibitive.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Can we just drop the AWD thing? Christ. Enough already.
Think of all the natural gas that's being burned to power the servers that transmit this garbage.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
To think Ford would bust a TTV8 here is pointless.. It goes against their whole strategy. Let's face it.. All the Eco engines are there to promote their economy when needs vs power when needed strategy. A TTV8 doesn't fit in that agenda in the slightest...

It will either be a S/C V8 Preferably a stronger Variant of the Coyote motor. Unique? Nah, but it could cause for some extreme savings money wise.

Or a TTV6... my money are on those two options.

It's all about cost here... S/C is old news, but tuning wise it's far easier to do with it than Turbos

Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
The auto is the more robust transmission by a good deal. The 6R80 is also used in the F-150 and F-250 and can easily tow over 12,000 lbs. In those cases, rear axle durability is the weak link, not the transmission or trans cooling. The 10R80 is of similar design and will be even more capable.
That's a fair point. Ford made some notable improvements with the "Super" 8.8, but its still a lot smaller than the axle in an F-series truck and is limited in torque capacity. If Ford were to send more torque to it than the current GT-350 does, they'd probably need something else under there. Packaging something like an IRS 9.75 under the car is probably not an easy job.

Likelihood is, though, they'd simply truncate torque with software in 1st & 2nd gears, so that the powertrain never dumps more on the axle than it can handle. If the pumpkin has a practical limitation of, say 18,000 lb-ft, sending much more to it is a moot point anyway. You'll spin the tires before you can use more in low gears, so limiting torque is common compromise.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
So far, it sounds like an NA cross-plane-crank to me -- have to see what it sounds like when someone really jumps on it -- definitely can't hear any indication of forced induction yet. I'm not disappointed -- I love that sound, and love the feel of it too. I've always been a Mach 1 fan. I doubt any of the wheels or other bits are production for this mule -- maybe it's a 5.2 cross plane that has the GT350 clip, tips, and a shaker hood hidden under there...

Sponsored

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
well at the very least, we can all hear a v8
That was my first response. So, they're off on the right track thus far! (assuming that is the actual gt500 test mule)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yep, that sounds traditional CPC V8 to me. It's a pity he didn't put his foot down so we could hear any form of FI.

Good to see it again so soon though :headbang:

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
(assuming that is the actual gt500 test mule)
And that's probably still a pretty big assumption. For all we know, this car was a preproduction Hummingbird build that was repurposed to test M1-level powertrain parts for whatever is next. You can't read too much into mule vehicles or test cars, you never really know what's underneath. They're all pretty cobbled and spliced, and could be anything...

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Indeed!

Now, I wonder if we didn't hear any FI.........'cos there isn't any!

Gotta love Ford, even with spy video, we're still none the wiser :ford:
Sponsored