Sponsored

2017 GT350 - To be, or not to be... That is the ?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
FPCs traditionally don't get great mileage....

Same goes for all high-revving n/a engines, thanks in no small part to the steep gears needed to keep the engine in its powerband.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Same goes for all high-revving n/a engines, thanks in no small part to the steep gears needed to keep the engine in its powerband.
True, but a lot has changed with VVT and mapping.

If a 4500+ lb Audi can be rated at 30mpg, a 3500lb Mustang can too, and still turn 4 sec 60's.

whysoblu

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whysoblu.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT Premium, 2015 GT Premium 50th Ann. Edition
Yes its built and waiting for shipping, looks like
Dec 12-18 for arrival. Getting garage ready now.
Got the new Shelby poster today.
Feel like Christmas when I was 10 :)
What Shelby poster?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
True, but a lot has changed with VVT and mapping.

If a 4500+ lb Audi can be rated at 30mpg, a 3500lb Mustang can too, and still turn 4 sec 60's.

That Audi has turbos. If you build a turbo engine you don't need high-rpm's. The greater torque of a turbo engine you won't need the steeper gears either.

The Audi RS5 with it's N/A 4.2l V8 doesn't get very far on a gallon of gas.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess you didn't read my post above that said Ford could build a 4.0-4.2L TT+DI+VVT v8...

Need turbos... ;)

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I guess you didn't read my post above that said Ford could build a 4.0-4.2L TT+DI+VVT v8...

Need turbos... ;)
In the meantime, perhaps they could build us a 5.2 CPC Supercharged Coyote and call it GT500......all of that hardware already exists :)

Bagman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strange
So much wishful thinking in this thread.

The quarter mile guys want another GT500 and the collector guys apparently want a 1 year GT350 production run as a means of protecting their "investment" (does the small number produced for the '15 MY even count?). So, of course, the GT350 is dead on arrival.

With the reviews and awards this car is garnering the GT350 is arguably the best Mustang ever made, and it's punching well above it's weight class in doing so.

The argument the Boss 302 was only produced for 2 years ignores the fact that it was announced as a 2 year run at introduction, and that no such announcement has been made for the GT350.

The GT500 ran for 8 years because it continued to sell well. I bought several, so I helped with that, lol. I believe that GT350 will follow the same pattern - i.e. it will be offered as long as it continues to sell. ...and if Ford makes 4-5K per year they'll sell every one they make. As for profitability, the GT500 was supposedly the most profitable model in the Mustang lineup. Why would the GT350 be any different?

Personally, I would love to see a factory supercharged high HP S550 Mustang, but I just don't see it happening. At 662 HP, I think Ford shot their wad with the last one. People will scream if the next one comes in at or below the previous power level, so what would the next one need to be acceptable? 800? 900? No, I think the GT350 is here to stay for awhile. Hopefully we'll get a little Mach 1 side action going too.

My 2¢...
One of the better posts I've read on this forum. I can see a lot of what you are describing as a decades long buyer of SVT products which included a GT500. We all want the latest, greatest, Mustang to be what we think it should be. The drag racers will adapt this car with little difficulty but the collector guys as you describe them are unfortunately in for a painful date with reality as this offering experiences it inevitable market saturation and price erosion. We as veterans can spot the guys who are into this cycle for the first time, they will learn just as we did.

whysoblu

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whysoblu.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT Premium, 2015 GT Premium 50th Ann. Edition
The drag racers will adapt this car with little difficulty but the collector guys as you describe them are unfortunately in for a painful date with reality as this offering experiences it inevitable market saturation and price erosion. We as veterans can spot the guys who are into this cycle for the first time, they will learn just as we did.
You are probably talking about me. LOL. What do you mean by this? Pretend I'm dumb :-)

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

Need turbos... ;)
I responded to a specific point you made about FPC engines. Regardless a small displacement TT+DI engine would be very expensive for a Mustang.

In the meantime, perhaps they could build us a 5.2 CPC Supercharged Coyote and call it GT500......all of that hardware already exists :)

When Ford built the Cobra Jets off the Coyote engine platform they had both a 5.0 and 5.2 displacement block. The N/A got the 5.2 for the extra valve area to maximize power given its limited displacement whereas the supercharged SCJ got the 5.0 block thanks to its thicker cylinder walls.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I responded to a specific point you made about FPC engines. Regardless a small displacement TT+DI engine would be very expensive for a Mustang.
I'm sure the same thing was said about MR suspensions, CF wheels and FPC engines... But, here we are.

A 4.0L TTDIVVT v8 would not be too expensive if he took the 3.5L EB, added two more cylinders, as a basis, and put that engine likely rated at 450hp in the GT and then punched it out to 4.2-4.5L for a HiPo version GT500 that would sport the new 10-speed auto and a 6-speed manual.

Economics... Use the GT platform to pay for your HiPo engine.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm sure the same thing was said about MR suspensions, CF wheels and FPC engines... But, here we are.

A 4.0L TTDIVVT v8 would not be too expensive if he took the 3.5L EB, added two more cylinders, as a basis, and put that engine likely rated at 450hp in the GT and then punched it out to 4.2-4.5L for a HiPo version GT500 that would sport the new 10-speed auto and a 6-speed manual.

Economics... Use the GT platform to pay for your HiPo engine.

I would use it in the F-150 if the intent were to cover the development costs for the Mustang engine.

If we were to really expect a Mustang engine to go that route expect to see it in the truck first, similarly with the 10-speed auto.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I think 2 things, there will be a 2017 shelby gt 350
and I also believe V-8's are here for awhile yet, maybe only in higher priced limited production cars, this will allow Ford to control their Cafe numbers also.
May not be cheap, but they will exist, Ford has to much heritage to walk away from this quickly.
Some should start a poll and see what forum members opinions are.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would use it in the F-150 if the intent were to cover the development costs for the Mustang engine.
Hence why I said use the 3.5L EB as the basis. Wouldn't be too hard or costly to add two cylinders.