Sponsored

2017 GT350 - To be, or not to be... That is the ?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Hmm, I'll have to dig around on that, I thought it was always "about 5k (units)" that was the goal. Like I said earlier, the Mach was a parts bin car, so it was probably easier to up production.
The only published (but incorrect) number I saw around that time was 6500, which is why I bought one at MSRP early on. Later as the run went on, there were deep discounts for the '04s as it got closer to the '05s being released.

Just like those special editions, the GT350s have a business case and must be profitable. What Ford was able to achieve for each one over the years reflects where they could put their money. Also, like the Mach 1, one of the limitations will be the engine. The Mach 1 engines were built on a lower volume line (partially automated) at the Romeo plant, and the GT350 ones are built on the niche line (hand assembly) at same place.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The only published (but incorrect) number I saw around that time was 6500, which is why I bought one at MSRP early on. Later as the run went on, there were deep discounts for the '04s as it got closer to the '05s being released.

Just like those special editions, the GT350s have a business case and must be profitable. What Ford was able to achieve for each one over the years reflects where they could put their money. Also, like the Mach 1, one of the limitations will be the engine. The Mach 1 engines were built on a lower volume line (partially automated) at the Romeo plant, and the GT350 ones are built on the niche line (hand assembly) at same place.
Good points... Keep in mind, MR suspensions and carbon fiber bits n pieces... Those will definitely keep volume low.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think my original statement was that if they don't keep making them, that they have something to replace it with be it another Boss or just a better GTPP.

Outside of that, I've just stated that the GT350R is the best handling and fastest lap timing Mustang Ford has made and that Ford does have a tendency to up production when a product sells well.

I'll add to that last bit, that I find it hard to believe Ford would spend the R&D time on the suspension upgrades, tuning, motor, and body to only make 8k ish units over two years. Not to mention tooling for the blocks, heads, etc. Particularly when the price of the car didn't triple or quadruple...unless they are taking a loss on these.
They will have plenty of offerings in place of the 350... You can only sell so many purpose-built roadcourse cars. The VooDoo will have a place elsewhere and Ford will profit off that as well, as I am sure there are a few exotic car companies who will be requesting VooDoos for their builds just as Panoz did with the 4.6 in the 90's.

There are a lot of performance cars from Ford coming down the pipeline... And nowadays, a few mods to a GT will get you a heckuva roadcourse car.

Derk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1

I wouldn't even have to say they would have to be profitable if they were doing like a batch of 200 or 300 of a special car, as long as they weren't losing a lot of money. But 99.9% of the time yes, they have to be profitable.

Yes, I loved the Mach when they first came out, but I couldn't afford a a car payment $29k at the time, and the one used one my local lot had they wanted just a fuzz below MSRP for it...but by the time the 2004's were hitting the lot I was able to escape with an 03 for around 24k.

But, weren't all 4v Cobra motors hand assembled through atleast 2004? So, hand assembly isn't too much of an issue as they mad a couple thousand of those every year.

Sponsored

Derk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
They will have plenty of offerings in place of the 350... You can only sell so many purpose-built roadcourse cars. The VooDoo will have a place elsewhere and Ford will profit off that as well, as I am sure there are a few exotic car companies who will be requesting VooDoos for their builds just as Panoz did with the 4.6 in the 90's.

There are a lot of performance cars from Ford coming down the pipeline... And nowadays, a few mods to a GT will get you a heckuva roadcourse car.

You could say the same about $60k high horsepower cars, but they keep churning them out.

Again, I'm not saying they'll make GT350's forever...as cool as it is. But it would be nice if I could option out a GT a little more track focused than the Performance Pack if they do kill the GT350 off after next year. Or as long as they give me an as capable replacement.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could say the same about $60k high horsepower cars, but they keep churning them out.

Again, I'm not saying they'll make GT350's forever...as cool as it is. But it would be nice if I could option out a GT a little more track focused than the Performance Pack if they do kill the GT350 off after next year. Or as long as they give me an as capable replacement.
Chevy has no capable replacement to the Z/28, save for the Z06... THere's no guarantee they will even make a new Z/28 on the new platform.

Short runs of high-performance cars have always happened... There's nothing to stop this one from having the same fate.

It will be interesting to see what Ford does to counter the new SS and other Camaro variants. We shall see...

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
So much wishful thinking in this thread.

The quarter mile guys want another GT500 and the collector guys apparently want a 1 year GT350 production run as a means of protecting their "investment" (does the small number produced for the '15 MY even count?). So, of course, the GT350 is dead on arrival.

With the reviews and awards this car is garnering the GT350 is arguably the best Mustang ever made, and it's punching well above it's weight class in doing so.

The argument the Boss 302 was only produced for 2 years ignores the fact that it was announced as a 2 year run at introduction, and that no such announcement has been made for the GT350.

The GT500 ran for 8 years because it continued to sell well. I bought several, so I helped with that, lol. I believe that GT350 will follow the same pattern - i.e. it will be offered as long as it continues to sell. ...and if Ford makes 4-5K per year they'll sell every one they make. As for profitability, the GT500 was supposedly the most profitable model in the Mustang lineup. Why would the GT350 be any different?

Personally, I would love to see a factory supercharged high HP S550 Mustang, but I just don't see it happening. At 662 HP, I think Ford shot their wad with the last one. People will scream if the next one comes in at or below the previous power level, so what would the next one need to be acceptable? 800? 900? No, I think the GT350 is here to stay for awhile. Hopefully we'll get a little Mach 1 side action going too.

My 2¢...

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The segments are totally different. But if Ford decided to kill the GT350, they won't have a car in that segment. The 2015 GTPP is already slower than a 5th gen 1LE, so I can only assume it will be a lot slower than the 6th gen version. I just want a Mustang that kicks tail in the cornering department when I'm ready purchase...which might be a few years because I just got a new F150. lol[/QUOTE]

Obviously at this time none of us know what Ford's plans are for the new Shelby GT350 when it comes to short or long term production.

Having said that if Ford decides to cancel the GT350 program after the 2017MY you can bet that there would be plenty of cars in that segment to replace the GT350 based on their long and successful history.

As we all know Ford has a long history or going back to the early muscle car days of the 60's and the early 70's when bringing back prior models from the past into present day production.

Keep an eye out for a remake of upcoming models such as a Mach 1, Boss 351, Boss 429, GT500 and the GT500KR just to name a few.

On another note it took Ford a long 4 model years in order to finally produce a regular production Shelby GT350/GT500 convertible back in the 60's and I would not be surprised to see a GT350 convertible for the 2017MY.

That would be an interesting new model and I would certainly be in line for a new Shelby GT350 convertible in 2017.

I remember watching for a 1967 Shelby GT350/GT500 convertible back in the day as it was rumored to be happening in 1967 then but from my understanding a last minute change was made in Dearborn to produce the first Shelby GT350/GT500 convertibles for the 1968MY.

:cheers:

drainey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt 350, magnetic with white strip
The segments are totally different. But if Ford decided to kill the GT350, they won't have a car in that segment. The 2015 GTPP is already slower than a 5th gen 1LE, so I can only assume it will be a lot slower than the 6th gen version. I just want a Mustang that kicks tail in the cornering department when I'm ready purchase...which might be a few years because I just got a new F150. lol
Obviously at this time none of us know what Ford's plans are for the new Shelby GT350 when it comes to short or long term production.

Having said that if Ford decides to cancel the GT350 program after the 2017MY you can bet that there would be plenty of cars in that segment to replace the GT350 based on their long and successful history.

As we all know Ford has a long history or going back to the early muscle car days of the 60's and the early 70's when bringing back prior models from the past into present day production.

Keep an eye out for a remake of upcoming models such as a Mach 1, Boss 351, Boss 429, GT500 and the GT500KR just to name a few.

On another note it took Ford a long 4 model years in order to finally produce a regular production Shelby GT350/GT500 convertible back in the 60's and I would not be surprised to see a GT350 convertible for the 2017MY.

That would be an interesting new model and I would certainly be in line for a new Shelby GT350 convertible in 2017.

I remember watching for a 1967 Shelby GT350/GT500 convertible back in the day as it was rumored to be happening in 1967 then but from my understanding a last minute change was made in Dearborn to produce the first Shelby GT350/GT500 convertibles for the 1968MY.

:cheers:[/QUOTE]

Ford had a major shutdown due to labor issues late 67 and early 68 that changed Ford plans on what and when to release

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

:cheers:
Ford had a major shutdown due to labor issues late 67 and early 68 that changed Ford plans on what and when to release[/QUOTE]

Great memory as that may have been part of the issue but I believe that Ford wanted complete control of producing the convertible which resulted in shifting 1968 production from California to A.O Smith in Ionia, Michigan?

Quality control issues with fiberglass body panels was going to be an issue so Ford wanted production close to home and Shelby's lease in LA was also ending soon.

Keep in mind that in 1967 Carroll and his team were still manufacturing all of the Shelby's out of their location on West Imperial Highway adjacent to the Los Angeles International Airport so they did a lot of their own thing but obviously still relied heavily on Ford for parts, power trains etc.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is one concern I have...

Should Ford really switch to a boosted V6 to power the GT500, the diehard V8 club would likely shift to a Hellcat or the Camaro... The only Ford v8 Mustang option would be the 350 and sells would be necessary then.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I don't remember the exact numbers quoted, I am sure someone here does.
But in Sebring, they talked about 20 new Performance vehicles from Ford by 2020.
At this point we are at 6 or 7, from that you can let your mind go wild
as to what future plans Ford has for us.
IMO the Future looks bright.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I don't remember the exact numbers quoted, I am sure someone here does.
But in Sebring, they talked about 20 new Performance vehicles from Ford by 2020.
At this point we are at 6 or 7, from that you can let your mind go wild
as to what future plans Ford has for us.
IMO the Future looks bright.
That is what I recall as well so lots of new high performance vehicle coming out from Ford in the next 4 years and it will be interesting how these new performance vehicles impact the production of the present GT350 during that same time?

BTW, any word on your R model?

:shrug:
Sponsored