2017 Ecoboost AP-v3 cutting fuel early? [Resolved!]

s7v543gsne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EB
Hi guys,

I could *really* use some help.

I'm currently running the COBB AP, with Stage 2 (91 Octane).

Everything's been going fine for over a year, all of a sudden when I've got a fair amount of throttle, it feels like I'm bouncing off the rev-limiter, but it's only at say 4.5k or 5k . It seems sometimes I'm getting through the full range.
I have a hunch it's bad gas, but the OAR is still -1.

I've seen some positive timing corrections (without the fuel cut) of ~ 1.5 occasionally.. but when the fuel-cut happens, i think it triggers some positive corrections.. The datalogs *may* show this, **Does anyone have a good tool for looking at these logs they can recommend?**

My real question is: where should I start w/ getting help on this? I've taken some datalogs (not sure if i've selected the right fields)

This happens in map slot 1(performance) -> 5(economy).

IF it could be blamed on bad gas, wouldn't the OAR move down from -1?

Thanks for any help, I'm freaking out a bit.
Sponsored

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like your enabling Cobb FFS somehow.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Run the low fuel pressure sensor test with the access port to determine if you have the correct pressures present .

OP
OP

s7v543gsne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EB
Run the low fuel pressure sensor test with the access port to determine if you have the correct pressures present .
Hi Brian, Thanks for the reply

I *think* my low fuel pressure sensor test passes fine. Here's a snip of the datalog

I've uploaded an image of the datalog from the fuel pressure sensor test as well as a super-clean (although maybe not monitoring the right fields) example of when i get this mysterious throttle cut.

You can see I've got the throttle pegged at row 35 (Two Seconds), and then it looks like i just ripped my foot off the pedal, but i can assure you I did not.

I've replaced the plugs. The car definitely runs better, but still exhibits this problem.
I'm currently trying to just run through this tank of gas, hoping maybe it's just bad gas after all, but it seems like my OAR should be > -1 if that was the case.
FuelPressureTest.JPG
TightExample.JPG

OP
OP

s7v543gsne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EB
Sounds like your enabling Cobb FFS somehow.
Hi Twizzty,

Thanks for your suggestion. It does not *feel* like this is what is happening. My understand of FFS is that the car would *adjust* throttle to keep the engine RPM from free-falling (or ramping into the rev limiter) when i push in the clutch. This feels like the whole engine just goes nearly dead instantly while i'm under full throttle... My instinct is to lift my foot at that point, but the one time i managed to leave my foot on the gas, it sounds like "clunk clunk".

So I think FFS is likely not the culprit because whatever my car is doing what not be a performance improvement under any circumstance :(

Sponsored

OP
OP

s7v543gsne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EB
Its going lean at row 32
Hi GuardEcoBeast,

Hi GuardEcoBeast, Thanks for the reply!

Is the jump in Actual AFR what you're looking at in 32? I know basically nothing about reading these logs. According to the PDF i found Actual AFR - Wideband front oxygen sensor reading converted from Lambda to AFR... Whatever the heck that means..

What could be causing this? I initially felt like this was a fuel supply issue (or I'm still holding out hope it's a bad gas issue), but the Fuel Pump Monitor % holds steady at 40.4 from row 5 through 37. (if that's what i should be looking at?)

I've attached the log, incase maybe other deleted columns show you something.

I'm very thankful for any help getting my car back to healthy.

Attachments

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
Its hard to say what the actual problem is. I am by no means an expert at tuning. If you are having someone tune your vehicle, you need to contact them. There seems to be a fuel supply problem.

OP
OP

s7v543gsne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EB
Its hard to say what the actual problem is. I am by no means an expert at tuning. If you are having someone tune your vehicle, you need to contact them. There seems to be a fuel supply problem.
Ok, thanks for the insight, though. FWIW I'm running the OTS stage 2 from Cobb.

My current plan is
1) Run through this tank of gas
2) Remove Tune entirely see if that resolves it (I doubt it will, this symptom exists even in *economy* map).
3) Take to dealer, maybe they tell me to go screw myself from a warranty standpoint, but then i have nothing to lose, because I'm already operating under an assumption I have no warranty.
4) Hire a professional, individual tuner. (this may or may not solve the problem, either.. clearly i have a hardware problem, at the core... but they may be able to help me find it).

Thanks again for your consideration.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are your modifications at present ?

Sponsored
OP
OP

s7v543gsne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EB
What are your modifications at present ?
Super simple:

1) Cobb CAI
2) Cobb Intercooler
3) AccessPort Cobb OTS Stage 2 91 octane map
4) Minor: NGX 6510 irridum plugs gapped at .285

Thanks again for any advice~!

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am wondering if you are experiencing spark blow out at those rpm s and boost levels ..

Pull your plugs and check the gaps . Bring the gaps down to 0.026 from 0.028
You may find discrepancies in the gaps . Just bring them to spec ..

Also start running ots 1 .

OP
OP

s7v543gsne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EB
I am wondering if you are experiencing spark blow out at those rpm s and boost levels ..

Pull your plugs and check the gaps . Bring the gaps down to 0.026 from 0.028
You may find discrepancies in the gaps . Just bring them to spec ..

Also start running ots 1 .
Thanks, will regap down to .026ish (i was at 0.0285 not 0.28... that would have been insanity). I'd just installed them, so no discreprencies there. I'll try going to down OTS1 (no harm in trying) but i'm doubtful that will help since it exhibits this in economy mode in stage 2.....

I think GuardEcoBoosts's observaction that my AFR jumps from mid 11(supposedly normal under WOT) to 19-22 in my logs is a great thread to pull at. (All my other logs show exactly this trend)

Reading around the internet spark blow-out can cause this, so we may be narrowing in on something. I'll report back.

Thanks again everyone for your help/time. I will ship each of you an old spark plug as payment <G>

wes936

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Grabber Blue EB 6MT
Have you updated your AP with the latest software from like a month ago or 2 ago?

Also you have really high positive ign corrections on cyl 2 and 3, which seems very odd to me, now I am no expert at reading logs and just send them back to my tuner for revisions, but I always look at them to try and learn, and never seen anything over +4 degrees, and usually they all stay fairly in the same range across all 4 cyl. Ive never datalogged a Cobb OTS tune, so not sure what they look like.

I agree that the lean out condition while WOT, is not a good place to be, and would worry me, usually it will lean out like that a second after you let off the pedal.

Below is what my tuner wants to see in the datalogs
Mustang EcoBoost Logging Parameters:

Accel Pedal Position

Actual AFR

Airflow Mass

Boost Pressure

Charge Air Temp.

Coolant Temp.

ETC Angle Actual

Engine RPM

Estimated Torque

FRP Actual

Ign Corr. Cyl1

Ign Corr. Cyl2

Ign Corr. Cyl3

Ign Corr. Cyl4

Ign Timing Cyl3

Load Actual

Lowside FP Actual

LTFT

Oct Adj Ratio Lrn

Knock Count cyl 1

Knock Count cyl 2

Knock Count cyl 3

Knock Count cyl 4

STFT

TIP Actual Absolute

VCT Intake Angle Actual

VCT Exhaust Angle Actual

WGDC Actual

Turbo PID WGDC Base

Turbo PID WGDC Base X

Turbo MFRACT Desired

OP
OP

s7v543gsne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EB
Have you updated your AP with the latest software from like a month ago or 2 ago?

Also you have really high positive ign corrections on cyl 2 and 3, which seems very odd to me, now I am no expert at reading logs and just send them back to my tuner for revisions, but I always look at them to try and learn, and never seen anything over +4 degrees, and usually they all stay fairly in the same range across all 4 cyl. Ive never datalogged a Cobb OTS tune, so not sure what they look like.

I agree that the lean out condition while WOT, is not a good place to be, and would worry me, usually it will lean out like that a second after you let off the pedal.

Below is what my tuner wants to see in the datalogs
Mustang EcoBoost Logging Parameters:

Accel Pedal Position

Actual AFR

Airflow Mass

Boost Pressure

Charge Air Temp.

Coolant Temp.

ETC Angle Actual

Engine RPM

Estimated Torque

FRP Actual

Ign Corr. Cyl1

Ign Corr. Cyl2

Ign Corr. Cyl3

Ign Corr. Cyl4

Ign Timing Cyl3

Load Actual

Lowside FP Actual

LTFT

Oct Adj Ratio Lrn

Knock Count cyl 1

Knock Count cyl 2

Knock Count cyl 3

Knock Count cyl 4

STFT

TIP Actual Absolute

VCT Intake Angle Actual

VCT Exhaust Angle Actual

WGDC Actual

Turbo PID WGDC Base

Turbo PID WGDC Base X

Turbo MFRACT Desired

Hi Wes936, thanks for the list, i'll update my datalogging to this list.

I agree that specifc log shows uneven correction on cylinger 1/4 because they both had a knock count of 1 (not shown in image). but typically all four cylinders look very similar. I consistently see positive corrections up into the 8's. I always thought positive-corrections = happy.

Up until this recent thing, i don't think i've ever seen negative corrections above 2, but in at least one log i can find in an a more aggressive map-slot and WOT i see -3.4(Yeesh!) I'm really hoping between a fresh tank of gas and the new plugs (and the new gap of 0.26, i'll see the end of these troubles). I've got 80 miles 'til fill up, so should be able to report back by this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion on updated maps/firmware, but both my AccessPoint and maps are fully up-to-date according to Cobb.

Typically when not having this problem, (and not logging even close to the right stuff), my maps look like the attached file.

I'm thinking about getting a professional tune instead of using the OTS one. Is it appropriate on here to ask who you've used and if you're happy with them?

Thanks again for the list, it will be useful for the next round of datalogs.
even.JPG
Sponsored