Sponsored

2017 Base mustang Gt to Premium package. Is it possible ?

Deleted member 35644

The garage door opener is a snap. Find a premium in a salvage yard, and snag the sun visor. Swap it over to your car, and you've got Homelink. This is the first thing I did.
Sponsored

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
A base owner here that has gone the sync 3 conversion route and even the door panels have been converted (from ebay) so to have the 3" midrange speaker hole and the nice stitching that I will dye blue eventually. Went this route because I wanted better speakers/sub and amps and also to keep a "stock" look. I also converted the rear bumper cover to premium so I could do the RTR diffuser clone (bumper cover bought used on ebay for $300 shipped, paint was $300 so still way less than a new premium bumper). So not necessarily going full premium, just the bits I wanted.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
We can take care of you on Sync 3 for way less than 4D or Infotainment and we don’t include Chinese parts or used bezels. Our kits are built with quality and value in mind.
We also do a lot of base to Premium upgrade stuff.

Deleted member 35644

Door panels on. Ahhhh...much better. Wish it wasn't such a hassle to make the door handle LEDs work, because they're there.
Doors.jpg

SnowTyres

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost PP+
I'm just going to add my 2 cents to this as I have a base 2016 GT.

As some have said here, your money might be better spent on adding some performance mods versus just making it look and feel more premium.

For example, my GT, I have probably spent a little over 5K - Ford Performance Track Handling Package, OEM GT350 Rims, GT 350 Track Spoiler and I plasti dipped my lower rear bumper area to set it apart a little bit. I think the car looks awesome now, added some LED's under the dash in the footwell's.

Do I wish I could have the Sync 3 system? Of course and if i come across lightly used parts for a reasonable price, I may go for it. Never cared for leather as after many years (if you keep it that long) leather starts to look cracked and wared out.

I think you will end up spending a lot of money to go full premium.

Can I ask, what other mods have you already done?
@Ashiq73 Do you have pics of your plasti-dipped non-premium “lower valance”? I have been thinking about doing that and would love to see your results!

Sponsored

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6 Speed Magnetic Metallic
@Ashiq73 Do you have pics of your plasti-dipped non-premium “lower valance”? I have been thinking about doing that and would love to see your results!
Here is 1 pic, I'll try to find more or take some new ones (if you want to see more). In this Pic, I do not have the GT350 Track Spoiler or Roush Axel Back's just yet.

Since my Mustang is Magnetic Metallic, the contrast from that to black is not huge, so the plast-dip does not pop but if you have a lighter colored Mustang, it will be much more apparent and look better. I did multiple coats and it seems to be holding up good after about 3 years now but my car is also a garage queen, I do not drive it that often.
Mustang 1.jpg

SnowTyres

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost PP+
Here is 1 pic, I'll try to find more or take some new ones (if you want to see more). In this Pic, I do not have the GT350 Track Spoiler or Roush Axel Back's just yet.

Since my Mustang is Magnetic Metallic, the contrast from that to black is not huge, so the plast-dip does not pop but if you have a lighter colored Mustang, it will be much more apparent and look better. I did multiple coats and it seems to be holding up good after about 3 years now but my car is also a garage queen, I do not drive it that often.
Mustang 1.jpg
@Mods - this seems related to "going premium" as an alternative means of mimicking the look, so I'm going to continue posting in this thread. Move us to a new one if you see fit - it

@Ashiq73 - Looks good! Glad to hear that it's holding up, too. My car is my daily so might get some different wear and tear, but it seems like a fun weekend project to try out the Plasti-Dip. Plus, I haven't committed to a full-on "replace the non-premium bumper to install the cool custom lower valances" bc $$$ (I like the GT350 look in that department).

Did you buy a kit from DipYourCar.com or somewhere else? Or just watch the tutorials? Or have someone else do it professionally?

If you have any pics in brighter light that would be great to see. Also if anyone else has done this on a lighter/brighter base color, let me know!

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I plasti dipped the emblems on my Mustang last spring and they still look as good as the day I painted them. My car sits outside 24/7, it's a daily driver, and I use a pressure washer to clean it. I also plasti dipped my second set of wheels and they have also held up perfectly. I was surprised how durable it is. I did 6 light coats.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Got a 2017 Base Gt. Should’ve went the premium route in the beginning. Just want to know if it’s possible to do a complete premium package swap to the base. I’m talking MyColor, Sync 3 with climate control, heated seats, premium door handles, door sills, etc... Will i have to change a couple of wiring harnesses or is everything just plug n play if I take it from a premium package mustang and plug it in to the base ? If anyone can shed some light on this I’d greatly appreciate it. I understand that theirs also foot well lights for the pp owners that work with The MyColor option as well as door handle lights. If I buy the premium door panels will I get the Leds behind the handles ? I’m willing to invest about 15k into the car.
My s197 was premium and my s550 is base. The base s550 is nicer than the s197 premium by far.
I learned a lesson with my s197, especially with mustangs. Never ever buy the premium because it is overpriced trash and you can pretty much outfit your car with cheaper higher quality aftermarket (or takeoff) parts.

BkaayRandy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oziel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Got a 2017 Base Gt. Should’ve went the premium route in the beginning. Just want to know if it’s possible to do a complete premium package swap to the base. I’m talking MyColor, Sync 3 with climate control, heated seats, premium door handles, door sills, etc... Will i have to change a couple of wiring harnesses or is everything just plug n play if I take it from a premium package mustang and plug it in to the base ? If anyone can shed some light on this I’d greatly appreciate it. I understand that theirs also foot well lights for the pp owners that work with The MyColor option as well as door handle lights. If I buy the premium door panels will I get the Leds behind the handles ? I’m willing to invest about 15k into the car.
How’s it going with this man? I’ve been trying to do the same conversion as well, so far all I need are the interior ambient lighting(cup holders, door handles, and foot led’s) Door handle Led conversion in particular is really hard to find. Any links or sites you recommend?

Sponsored

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 1992 Twin Turbo 300ZX
I wouldn't sell the base and buy a premium. I'd keep the base and not spend a dime. B/c after wasting all your $, the car won't feel that "premium". I test drove a $50K GT premium before I got my base GT. The "Premium" didn't feel any more upscale. Leather seats felt like cheap rubber to me. The base cloths feel better to me. Still don't get full power seats just the bottom is power. Cooling seat only does the bottom cushion which is worthless when your back is sweaty. Just felt like a joke to me especially for the crazy price hike.
I can feel the air conditioned seats on my back. Feels fantastic with a sweaty back.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
How’s it going with this man? I’ve been trying to do the same conversion as well, so far all I need are the interior ambient lighting(cup holders, door handles, and foot led’s) Door handle Led conversion in particular is really hard to find. Any links or sites you recommend?
This was OP’s only thread/posts a year ago January so I doubt you’re going to get a response. Post your question over on the cosmetics thread. You have a much better chance of a response. :like:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Who resurrected this necrothread?
Sponsored