silverstang206

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I need help desperately. I’ve tried to fix the problem I have on my Stang and no luck.

I have a 2016 V6, and when I tried to start the car 2 days ago, the engine would crank but no start. It happened after I left my car outside in my drive way on a cold night. Not sure how much this would effect my S550 but it is the only different out of the ordinary I’ve done.

I tried searching google and checking out reddit for a solution. I’ve had no luck. I tried: jumping the battery, replace the battery with a new one and jumping it, check all fuse, tried to reset the fuel pump, and tried using the manual key. I did all the regular checks like fluid levels etc. No code or check engine. Gas is about more than half. Anyone had similar problem who can help? I really appreciate it in advance! Thanks.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It’s been reported on this site that some members have found the starter bolts to be loose. A loose starter also creates a ground fault.

1) Disconnect the battery.
2) Safely get the car up on jack stands or a lift.
3) Locate the starter and disconnect the wires. Check wires and ends for any damages.
4) Remove the starter from engine. Clean off any debris, grime etc from the body of starter, engine plate and face of starter.
5) Reinstall starter making sure the teeth line up and remember to torque the starter bolts to 18 ft. lbs.
6) Hook up starter wires again, make sure all connections are clean, tight and secure.
7) Hook up battery connections again making sure battery posts and terminal ends are clean and secured.

The car should start.
———

If it does not, there has to be another issue present.

If the car is manual transmission - make sure the clutch safety switch is working and has not been damaged. Usually if this switch has failed it won’t allow the car to start.

if the car is an auto trans (6R80), make sure that the shift lever is pushed all the way forward into Park... it’s most obvious, but some vehicles if that lever is not totally secure in P, the vehicle won’t start.

There is a thread on here related to the brake pedal switch. If this switch has come apart or fails, it will create operational havoc while driving or could also cause other issues when trying to start vehicle.

The only other thing I can think of relating to starting issues would be most modern drivetrains rely on the position of the crank and/or camshaft sensors. If either of these sensors are failing (or have failed) the driver will experience non-start conditions. Being that you have a V6, I’m not sure if that engine relies on both, or only 1 for its start up checks. Maybe the V6 forum on here may be better to ask about those sensors.

OP
OP
silverstang206

silverstang206

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
It’s been reported on this site that some members have found the starter bolts to be loose. A loose starter also creates a ground fault.

1) Disconnect the battery.
2) Safely get the car up on jack stands or a lift.
3) Locate the starter and disconnect the wires. Check wires and ends for any damages.
4) Remove the starter from engine. Clean off any debris, grime etc from the body of starter, engine plate and face of starter.
5) Reinstall starter making sure the teeth line up and remember to torque the starter bolts to 18 ft. lbs.
6) Hook up starter wires again, make sure all connections are clean, tight and secure.
7) Hook up battery connections again making sure battery posts and terminal ends are clean and secured.

The car should start.
———

If it does not, there has to be another issue present.

If the car is manual transmission - make sure the clutch safety switch is working and has not been damaged. Usually if this switch has failed it won’t allow the car to start.

if the car is an auto trans (6R80), make sure that the shift lever is pushed all the way forward into Park... it’s most obvious, but some vehicles if that lever is not totally secure in P, the vehicle won’t start.

There is a thread on here related to the brake pedal switch. If this switch has come apart or fails, it will create operational havoc while driving or could also cause other issues when trying to start vehicle.

The only other thing I can think of relating to starting issues would be most modern drivetrains rely on the position of the crank and/or camshaft sensors. If either of these sensors are failing (or have failed) the driver will experience non-start conditions. Being that you have a V6, I’m not sure if that engine relies on both, or only 1 for its start up checks. Maybe the V6 forum on here may be better to ask about those sensors.
Thank you so much for replying! I’ve kind of given up hope at this point, and my car is being towed in the next minute to a mechanic shop. Wish I knew about the starter earlier, I would of attempted to do it myself. I’ll let you know what they find. Thanks again and I appreciate it.

OP
OP
silverstang206

silverstang206

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
If anyone happens to run into this post.
Solution: took it to a local mechanic, said the fuel pump is dead. Luckily, it is still under powertrain warranty and Ford is covering the tow and maintenance.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If anyone happens to run into this post.
Solution: took it to a local mechanic, said the fuel pump is dead. Luckily, it is still under powertrain warranty and Ford is covering the tow and maintenance.
OP, I had a similar situation with my 15’ EB. Cranked but wouldn’t start. Actually it sputtered for a few seconds then died. Had a really good tech at the dealer who found a wire under the rear seat that had come loose, frayed, and shorted out the fuel pump. You might want them to check this as well.

OP
OP
silverstang206

silverstang206

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
OP, I had a similar situation with my 15’ EB. Cranked but wouldn’t start. Actually it sputtered for a few seconds then died. Had a really good tech at the dealer who found a wire under the rear seat that had come loose, frayed, and shorted out the fuel pump. You might want them to check this as well.
Interesting, thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely look into it.
Sponsored