2016 starts then dies right away.

sandman0023

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Magma Red 2018 F150 5.0L, Deep Impact Blue 2016 Mustang GT
2016 Mustang GT. GT350 intake manifold, CAI, throttle body, Lethal Performance 52lb High Pressure Fuel Injectors, Lund Racing tune, 63,000 miles

I was out running errands today. It started up and drove fine, until it didn’t. I started it and it died right away, did it again with the same result. Started it a 3rd time, gave it a little rev after it started and it was fine. I had about a quarter tank of E85 left. I didn’t want to stop for gas tonight on the way to work so I changed the tune back to Flex and filled it with 93. It started rough a start later but didn’t die. I did not test the E85 before I used it (I always get it from the same station) this time. Could it be a different blend that caused it? Or something else, bad fuel pump?
Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
2016 Mustang GT. GT350 intake manifold, CAI, throttle body, Lethal Performance 52lb High Pressure Fuel Injectors, Lund Racing tune, 63,000 miles

I was out running errands today. It started up and drove fine, until it didn’t. I started it and it died right away, did it again with the same result. Started it a 3rd time, gave it a little rev after it started and it was fine. I had about a quarter tank of E85 left. I didn’t want to stop for gas tonight on the way to work so I changed the tune back to Flex and filled it with 93. It started rough a start later but didn’t die. I did not test the E85 before I used it (I always get it from the same station) this time. Could it be a different blend that caused it? Or something else, bad fuel pump?
May want to check the E85 mixture percentage. Winter blends are out and they aren't as consistent as the summer blend.

lint28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost w/PP - Now its a 2016 GT w/PP!!!
I had a similar issue with mine.. Ive got the 350 throttle body/CAI as well. I cleaned the MAF and the problem was fixed. Maybe something about that intake (open right under the hood vent) gets goop in there...

OP
OP
sandman0023

sandman0023

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
May want to check the E85 mixture percentage. Winter blends are out and they aren't as consistent as the summer blend.
I ran through the tank of E85/93 and it started just fine until about a 1/4 tank left. Then it had the same problem. Filled it up with 93 again and so far it’s ok. Awaiting my tester.
Are you getting any CEL/codes? I wonder if you don't have an intake leak. Check there first and make sure that there isn't a loose connection.
No codes at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sandman0023

sandman0023

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I had a similar issue with mine.. Ive got the 350 throttle body/CAI as well. I cleaned the MAF and the problem was fixed. Maybe something about that intake (open right under the hood vent) gets goop in there...
Awesome. I’ll try cleaning it. Thanks.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Did I understand this correctly?

It runs good until you get to 1/4 tank then it won't start.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like fuel pressure issues..

Last edited:

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
There's a few other things to consider as well. Firstly, You may need new spark plugs and/or they need to be gapped properly. Too small of a gap and E85 seem to have a harder time on start up. Secondly, how cold it is outside? Cold temperatures and E85 have been known to have issues. Fuel in general has tendency to stick to the walls of the intake manifold and cylinder heads when the engine is cold. Finally, it could also be in your tuning on start up. You may need like 10-20% more crank lambda (fueling). Could also just be a fuel pressure issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sandman0023

sandman0023

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Did I understand this correctly?

It runs good until you get to 1/4 tank then it won't start.
It’s an automatic. It starts then dies right away (almost like when you take your foot off the clutch in a manual). Doesn’t happen every time though. When it does happen, I’ll lightly step on the gas right after I start it again and then it’s fine. The first time it happened there was about 1/4 tank left. It has happened on a full tank now too.

Sponsored
OP
OP
sandman0023

sandman0023

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
There's a few other things to consider as well. Firstly, You may need new spark plugs and/or they need to be gapped properly. Too small of a gap and E85 seem to have a harder time on start up. Secondly, how cold it is outside? Cold temperatures and E85 have been known to have issues. Fuel in general has tendency to stick to the walls of the intake manifold and cylinder heads when the engine is cold. Finally, it could also be in your tuning on start up. You may need like 10-20% more crank lambda (fueling). Could also just be a fuel pressure issue.
Plugs are brand new (bought & installed in Aug). Ford installed them and everything else too. It was upper 50s to upper 60s out when it happened. It’s a Lund tune, would I go to them to adjust the lambda?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
From your description my educated guess is the fuel pump.

How many miles on the car?

koo9903

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
Did you ever get this figured out? Having similar issues with my 16 GT

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I was having the same issues with mine. Problem was the fuel pump so I got it replaced and runs fine now.

koo9903

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
I was having the same issues with mine. Problem was the fuel pump so I got it replaced and runs fine now.
Did you replace with oem fuel pump?
I had to replace mine because the original one completely failed after going E85.
Sponsored