Any addition horsepower wise?
Sponsored

Reactions: _M_

JTQ92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Performance PacK
I'd like to see an actual test done to see just how effective the 2015 heat extractors are at flowing air. It just looks like they are too small to make an appreciable difference in under hood temps or aerodynamic efficiency. In all honesty even though the 2016 has blocked off some of that aria for the turn signal I doubt that it will have a significant effect on flow based off the already limited flow of the 2015 vents. I know the gt350 is a different animal all together but look at its hood, if ford was confident in the 2015 vents ability to move air why would they change it to a much larger sunken heat extractor style hood?

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP, Guard
2016 Mustang photos at Astorg Ford in Parkersburg WV
Hope you guys and gals enjoy them.... John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So damn...the base stereo comes with Sirius in 2016?
...what a bitch they are for not doing that in 2015 models....

EDIT: Didn't see the post earlier about Ford site says Sirius XM not available with base unit (even though the OP's pictures show it on the sticker).
What the hell!

Last edited:

Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
If 2016 owners don't like tHe turn signals in the hood vents you can always pick up a 15 hood vent on eBay for a hundred bucks a pair
As long as Ford didn't decide to change the hood/hood vent design on the 2016 model. :ford::headbonk:

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
Not necessarily! There is much more to the hood vents than looking cool. They are duel function. One is heat extraction the other release of pressure that builds up under the hood and causes lift.
They are so important that none of the export models have them. :doh:

svtfever

ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTPP1
So damn...the base stereo comes with Sirius in 2016?
...what a bitch they are for not doing that in 2015 models....

EDIT: Didn't see the post earlier about Ford site says Sirius XM not available with base unit (even though the OP's pictures show it on the sticker).
What the hell!
so there still is no xm on the base :-(

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
Thank you for the video.
I'm pretty confident that this was thought over by the Ford engineers.
Perhaps the underside of the hood is redesigned to channel air more efficiently through the vent.
Or, alternatively, perhaps Ford engineers concluded that the '15 hood vent is larger than it needs to be.
Either way, I don't think making it smaller is something that they just did without thought. Especially when they're putting electric components so close to the vent there.

Here's something interesting...here's an OEM takeoff from the underside of the hood vent. Is that the vent opening at the bottom? If so, it looks a lot smaller from the bottom than the opening on the top. The bottom of it looks about the same opening as the '16 top opening.
But I could be wrong and it could be something else entirely.
I don't know, it's hard to tell without seeing daylight out the other side like the one on the left. Good post though...where did you get that photo? Are those your 2015 vents? Thats the Ingot Silver color I'll be needing soon. :)

More importantly...do you know how I buy these? Oem part number etc.?
Help!:clap2:

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I'd like to see an actual test done to see just how effective the 2015 heat extractors are at flowing air. It just looks like they are too small to make an appreciable difference in under hood temps or aerodynamic efficiency. In all honesty even though the 2016 has blocked off some of that aria for the turn signal I doubt that it will have a significant effect on flow based off the already limited flow of the 2015 vents. I know the gt350 is a different animal all together but look at its hood, if ford was confident in the 2015 vents ability to move air why would they change it to a much larger sunken heat extractor style hood?
The situation is really pretty simple.

Imagine the frontal area of the car - it is what you see squatting down in front of the car and looking straight at it. The car has to push all that air aside. Whatever doesn't exit the engine bay literally gets dragged with the car down the road.

The engine is cooled by the coolant. It doesn't need those little vents to help cooling. The coolant is cooled by the air passing through the radiator. This air exits the radiator into the engine bay. How does it exit then?

Everything is in the way of the airflow. The engine, the firewall, the tires. Even the tires rotate in such a direction as to create really high pressure in front and on top of them. No provision has been designed in to vent much of this air anywhere. The small vents help but surely not by much.

The GT350 is better since it has a larger hood vent, centered on the radiator and just forward of the engine. And the side vents behind the front wheels help with the high pressure buildup behind the tires. Then they added a spoiler or wing to help balance the car at high speed.

Have a look at a Le Mans prototype race car. There are all sorts of rearward-facing vents on those cars. The cutouts above the tires are just as wide as the tires themselves. The tire tech can reach in there to check wear and take tire temps with the wheels still on the car.

wag4513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertable
I wonder what it would cost to have louvers like an early Jaguar XKE put on the hood.

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't know, it's hard to tell without seeing daylight out the other side like the one on the left. Good post though...where did you get that photo? Are those your 2015 vents? Thats the Ingot Silver color I'll be needing soon. :)

More importantly...do you know how I buy these? Oem part number etc.?
Help!:clap2:
Hello

I just google imaged it
http://www.newtakeoff.com/2015_ford_mustang_gt_oem_ingot_silver_hood_heat_extractors_pair-3.aspx
That's one I just found. I can't vouch for the site though, never ordered anything from 'em.

100 bucks seems like a damn good deal and the OEM part # is on the site

Rufus5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt/PP vert
I wonder how bad the reflection off the hood is going to be at night. It could get annoying pretty quickly from the drivers seat.
Sponsored