Sponsored

2016 Mustang GT vs EB, which one to buy?

Egoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Hi everyone i am new here and i want your help!

Am planning to buy a Mustang but can't decided which one, the V6 is out of the question i am torn between the Ecoboost and the GT.
I daily drive 100km or 62 mile to work (200km round trip) in the highway so i want my next car to be a daily car but i don't want to fill up the tank every 2 days so it should have a good MPG.
Currently i drive 2013 Ford Taurus Limited with average MPG of 22 or 11 l/100km and honestly i am annoyed by the frequency of filling the tank over spending the money.

The Ecoboost sounds to fit my requirement but as a Mustang fan i am afraid am going to miss the growling sound of the V8 and regret buying the EB

I really love the iconic sound of the V8 but the trade off in my situation making me hesitant to buy it and pushing me toward the EB. the EPA rating for the EB and the GT are 25 MPG or 9 l/100km and 19 MPG or 12 l/100km.

As you can see there is a big difference in the fuel economy also is the V8 a good daily driver car? i need your opinion and experince to help me out finalize my decision.

Background info:
I live in Oman (Arab Gulf Country)
No modification are allowed on new cars otherwise i would void the warranty
The cost of filling the Taurus tank is $28.5
I want a sport car for daily use and good fuel economy
Sponsored

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
If you can't modify it then get the GT. The Ecoboost stangs are underwhelming stock.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
A lot of us here daily our EB's. My commute is 50 miles a day. I typically have around 1/3 tank left at the end of the week. Over my last tank I averaged 25.7mpg - no highway driving. My last highway trip over 220 miles had me averaging 32mpg while going 85mph the whole time.
I won't lie, I do miss the V8 sound. But the EB is pretty quick stock. 310HP, 320lb ft tq is a lot of power.
An EB with the Ford Pro Cal tune (has a warranty) would probably be right up your alley. But if you need the sound of a V8, get a GT. That's a hard thing to give up.

ninjawasaki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My commute is about 50mi all country highway backroads round trip. I think I hit 1 light and maybe 3 stop signs each way. If I REALLY try, I can average 25mpg with the GT PP (did it once)....which isn't terrible, that's a lot of cruising @ 60mph in 6th with the 3.73 though and just super boring honestly. But normally it's about 20-21mpg. Interstate, I find myself getting about 19-20mpg when kickin' it around 80mph...not really driving conservatively though. Keeping it at a mind numbing 70 usually yields a few more mpgs on the interstate. Around town in the stop and go nonsense...it goes to crap haha. EDIT: When you mix in the around town stuff with the commutes...I avg about 17-19mpg per tank usually.

In my opinion, if it were me and gas mileage was on the top priority list, I probably wouldn't consider the V8. While you can get some decent numbers with it (for a v8), takes a lot of the fun out of having one. I travel a lot, and when I'm home I typically work from home so it's not an issue for my situation. Just wanted to toss ya some #'s I typically see.

...The v8 is f'ing awesome though :D

Last edited:

ALL4SQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
It seems to take about 13 gallons to fill up my GT. It costs me $38. I would be really happy if I could fill up for $28. My diving is mostly city driving so I currently get 16 miles to the gallon. Its a 2017 GT automatic with 3.55 gears.

I drove a 2016 V6 mustang for four years. It was a nice car but never really sounded right.
With an aftermarket cat-back exhaust its hard to beat the sound of the Coyote motor.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
It seems to take about 13 gallons to fill up my GT. It costs me $38. I would be really happy if I could fill up for $28. My diving is mostly city driving so I currently get 16 miles to the gallon. Its a 2017 GT automatic with 3.55 gears.

I drove a 2016 V6 mustang for four years. It was a nice car but never really sounded right.
With an aftermarket cat-back exhaust its hard to beat the sound of the Coyote motor.
My fillups are around 14 gallons, but I go almost to empty before gassing up.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If you have to ask and your concern is mpg get the eco but don't ever test drive a gt or its game over lol

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I'm surprised we haven't seen the groups of people saying they are getting 28 MPG in their GT like previous discussions. :lol:

I had to make the same choice. When I purchased my ecoboost I was driving 100 miles a day for work. I had a 2010 V6 before that and a 2006 GT before that. Like you, I miss the GT sound. You not only hear it but feel it to your core! But I didn't want to go broke with gas and figure it's just a matter of time until the prices go up again.

I really like the Ecoboost, it surprised me. Having that light engine up front makes it a lot of fun to drive. I'm not racing it on the track or street so it doesn't have to be the fastest car. However, I was disappointed with the performance on the top end. The power drops off hard at around 5500 RPMs. That coupled with a crappy shift schedule makes it so it just dies around the top of 3rd gear and won't shift.

I just purchased the Ford Performance Performance Pack for the Ecoboost which should improve the power and shifting issues. No it's still not going to be the fastest car on the road but like I said, I'm not racing anyway.

Full disclosure though, now I work mostly from home and wish I would've gotten the GT.

Randy954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Pp
Honestly if the mustang isnt really a great commuter if your looking for gas mileage. Although i average about 24mpg on the highway and a little city driving. It does have a relatively small tank so you will be filling up pretty often.

Just do yourself a favor and buy the V8 and if anything buy a little bucket honda to commute in.

Btw i test drove both the ecoboost and the v8. As soon as i started the v8 i was sold. Seriously.

Also go on the ecoboost section and read up on them. Some of members are having issues with their motors. Granted they are modding them but who buys a mustang and doesnt mod it lol.

Sponsored

ninjawasaki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
As soon as i started the v8 i was sold. Seriously.
Hah, that's what happened to me. I went in to test drive a Focus ST because I was really considering the RS. Figured I'd test drive a stang since I made the hike all the way up to Roswell...well, we can see how that turned out haha.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I had a 2010 V6 before that and a 2006 GT before that. Like you, I miss the GT sound. You not only hear it but feel it to your core! But I didn't want to go broke with gas and figure it's just a matter of time until the prices go up again.
Let's be honest, the V8 is the heart and soul of a Mustang.

The Ecoboost is a great car and I would say has definitely earned it's place in the Mustang lineup. It's power potential and how easily it is unlocked is really impressive, but the V8 will always be the heart and soul of a Mustang.

Also go on the ecoboost section and read up on them. Some of members are having issues with their motors. Granted they are modding them but who buys a mustang and doesnt mod it lol.
The only engines with issues are the early ones built in Spain. And even then, only a small number have failed.

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
For me personally, a V8 is the only option for this type of car. Part of the allure is the V8 sound. Even thought the ecoboost has a lot of power, it doesn't have the sound I like.

As far as gas mileage goes, I don't buy this type of car for gas mileage. I have a cheap 4 cylinder commuter car for that.

You just have to decide what aspects are the most important to you.

Wayne

OP
OP
Egoman

Egoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I am glad I came and asked here, so many informative posts! Thank you guys keep them coming.
Just to add to the discussion yes i don't want to race in tracks I can't even mod it without voiding the warranty I just want a fun car to drive to work everyday for long distances without draining my wallet frequently.
Deep down I want a GT but how good it is for daily drives?
The Ecoboost tick so many points in my list but there is two things concerns me:
1. The sound; am I going to get use to it
2. The turbo and its reliability in my hot country

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I test drove the 8, 6, and 4...

8 felt heavy to me on the front. And then the mpg... uh, no. I even thought about trading my eco for a GT once... went back and test drove a vert gt and was like "hell no, this sucks". It drove differently, I did not like it. Plus, it is a gas guzzler and pollution maker. And I don't like all that noise pollution either from the back pipes... LOL

6 did not come with premium package at the time (no leather, etc).... uh, no.

4 had everything I wanted. Love the way it drives. Now I have the Ford performance tune and it is a rocket.... can't be beat for a hwy car. No way. That was around $750 total (taxes/parts).

For a little sound I purchased MF mufflers and had them welded on for a total of (I think $200... total in my build thread).

I love the turbo pull... then the fact you can get 27 to 31 mpg (I'm getting 27 with a lot of city driving lately).

Far as the heat... Many people think a intercooler is needed. I'm not one of those people. I've drove all over in all kinds of weather, in many different ways and I felt no slowdown (heat soak or whatever magical words they come up with). In your country you may need to purchase an intercooler. My thought is an intercooler is needed if you track the car... I can't see anyone (most places in the USA) being able to push their car to any meaningful heat soak and stay within legal driving ranges. But that is my experience... someone living in FL/Texas might have a different experience.
Sponsored

Last edited: