Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

blkandgud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
That's what they said about the Mustang too. So I won't really hold my breath for that.

Rubedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Magnetic 5.0 Redline Recaro
They're referring to the all new 4 cylinder version, the V8 will still weigh 3900lbs. At least that's the way I so conveniently choose to interpret that. But if it really is 200lbs lighter in the LT1 variant, it's going to be a performance beast.

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
Pretty much as likely to be the case as Ford fanning rumors of the S550 being lighter back in 2013. And just like those rumors, bench racing and speculation will be meaningless until the first delivered units are actually scaled. Hopefully it is lighter which will force Ford to step up their game, but I honestly am expecting something comparable to the current S550 weights.

Sponsored

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
Yeah i'm interpreting this the same way as the mustang. The platform lost 200 lbs but once everything else was added in it still gained weight. I'm still expecting the camaro to be atleast 100 lbs heavier.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
I wouldn't be so quick to say that GM will make the same mistake Ford made. Isn't this the same platform the ATS is on? I think they'll make good on their promise and then entire model range will be 200 lbs. lighter. If they bring a four banger to the table, Ford could have a run for its money. The Cadillac ATS comes in at 3,400 lbs. in base trim.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
No, just as the C7 lost 99lbs in the structure and suspension, it gained 210lbs overall. Again, the Z51 package added 150lbs too.

Right now, the rolling chassis has lost 200lbs. Now the content is added...

Brakes, wheels, tires, exhaust, NVH, engine (50lbs by itself), transmission, interior and safety is the issue now.

I will post the C7's weight gain list so you can understand where the weight is coming from.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/04/2014-corvette-stingray-curb-weight-estimated-to-be-3298-pounds/

The list contains a lot of what is expected in the Camaro.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
No, just as the C7 lost 99lbs in the structure and suspension, it gained 210lbs overall. Again, the Z51 package added 150lbs too.

Right now, the rolling chassis has lost 200lbs. Now the content is added...

Brakes, wheels, tires, exhaust, NVH, engine (50lbs by itself), transmission, interior and safety is the issue now.

I will post the C7's weight gain list so you can understand where the weight is coming from.
What I'm saying is if the Caddy can come in light weight, why can't a base Camaro that's on the same platform. Realistically, GM isn't going to add more NVH, wheels, tech and safety stuff than a Cadillac ATS.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
What I'm saying is if the Caddy can come in light weight, why can't a base Camaro that's on the same platform. Realistically, GM isn't going to add more NVH, wheels, tech and safety stuff than a Cadillac ATS.
The ATS-V is already over 3700lbs. The Camaro will struggle to beat that with an LT1.

Also, I'm sure the Camaro is wider and has more track than an ATS.

Just adding the LT1 and Tremec to the LS3 and TR6060 weight is 70lbs easy. The key now is to eliminate content weight and shoot for a sub 3800lbs car. The Camaro could use ATS-V size brakes standard, that is a pretty decent gain in that respect.

The NVH material will likely be more than previous Gens, about the same as the ATS.
The Corvette gained 210lbs in content after its victorious 99lbs reduction. Looking at the list, I can see close to 200lbs coming back on after the 200lbs reduction.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The ATS-V is already over 3700lbs. The Camaro will struggle to beat that with an LT1.

Also, I'm sure the Camaro is wider and has more track than an ATS.

Just adding the LT1 and Tremec to the LS3 and TR6060 weight is 70lbs easy. The key now is to eliminate content weight and shoot for a sub 3800lbs car. The Camaro could use ATS-V size brakes standard, that is a pretty decent gain in that respect.

The NVH material will likely be more than previous Gens, about the same as the ATS.
The Corvette gained 210lbs in content after its victorious 99lbs reduction. Looking at the list, I can see close to 200lbs coming back on after the 200lbs reduction.
I see 3,700lbs as the weight.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
I know it's PR speak, but would Oppenheiser really say the Camaro's handling and braking improved (attributing it to weight) if there wasn't a net positive weight loss?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I know it's PR speak, but would Oppenheiser really say the Camaro's handling and braking improved (attributing it to weight) if there wasn't a net positive weight loss?
Al O. Says a lot... very little translates to real world. It's possible they slashed everything just to weigh less. The Camaro could weigh 3900lbs even and still be a weight loss. Rotating mass, unsprung and sprung is probably less, that's a good thing.

I released this very info 2 days ago on my GT350 thread. I got the exact poundage correct.

My weight gain figures are more than likely accurate or at least very close.

Hopefully the BIW and chassis info comes out in the next 2-3 months. We will better understand what was lost in the structure and what was gained in content.

Al O. wouldn't be able to make a curb weight statement this early nor would they carelessly throw that out there 8-12 months before the cars are on the road.

Way to give Ford a heads up...