Sponsored

2015 Mustang versus current Mustang

• Thread starter groundnpounder
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

groundnpounder

This is all purely speculative discussion obviously, but any guesses for how the 2015 Mustang will be better than the current one?

I know there's rumors that the goal is to be 200-300 pounds lighter and it will have IRS. So we know it will handle better.

Anyone else care to guess what else will be improved?
Sponsored

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
Would like to see an improvement to nearly a 50/50 weight distribution. I think my GT is 54/46 which is an improvement over my previous new edge GT.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Like BadStang said, it needs less weigh off of the nose.

OP
OP

groundnpounder

Ah forgot about weight distribution. Good point. Some say 50/50 is overrated though (not me) ;) But could definitely use some improvement over 54/46 which isn't so great.

All-Or-Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 6 Series Vert
Ah forgot about weight distribution. Good point. Some say 50/50 is overrated though (not me) ;) But could definitely use some improvement over 54/46 which isn't so great.

It is Overrated. The Scion FR-S is supposed to be a corner carving marvel and guess what its distribution is.....53/47. A Porsche 911 GT2 has a 37/63 ratio and Ferrari 458 has a 42/58 ratio.

Suspension, suspension geometry, tires, etc.... has more affect than distribution ratios.

Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
The Camaro has a 51/49 ratio but it still understeers, so much so that they made a running change to the suspension a few years ago. It may be overrated, but it still means something. Weight needs to be taken off of the nose, especially for the V8's, where performance matters most.

lengnert

Threads
Reaction score
While it does play a role, I agree with AoN that it might be a smaller role than a lot of the magazine editors make it out to be.

BasiliskSt

Threads
Reaction score
Room for a V8 under the hood dictates a certain width to the engine compartment. Wonder how much room there is to go narrower? Will the weight savings come primarily from size reduction or advanced materials? What do you think?

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
It matters mainly cause it improves traction. I think the new edges were 57/43 and I can tell a big difference in traction between my 2003 GT and 2008 GT. Ford always dials in some understeer for safety so 52/48 for the 5.0 and IRS would be awesome.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I know Ford are aiming to reduce weight across the board, but I'll be surprised if there is a significant saving with the new car, but we'll see.

What would like improved?

Interior quality. Whilst the 2010+ felt much nicer inside than my '05, with the single moulding for the dashboard, etc, there are still too many scratchy plastics in there, especially the door cards etc. The carpet could also be nicer quality, and don't cut it so short under the dash. Currently, it still shows some of the underdash wiring etc if you tuck your head low! Nicer leather on the seats, and perhaps the option of a leather dash again.

Autobox - the Select-shift 6 speed auto was welcome, but the '15 needs paddles behind the wheel this time around.

Sponsored
OP
OP

groundnpounder

I know Ford are aiming to reduce weight across the board, but I'll be surprised if there is a significant saving with the new car, but we'll see.
I really hope it does get weight loss. Cars have just gotten too fat and heavy overall.

But manufacturers are taking notice and agreeing apparently. Mazda just announced a plan to reduce weight in every new model by up to 220 pounds - http://blog.caranddriver.com/mazda-goes-on-a-diet-plans-weight-reductions-for-every-new-model/

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
What the new Mustang also needs is better petal placement. It is hard to heel-toe in the S197 Mustangs, as the gas is too deep in relation to the brake pedal.

blackstallion4209

The Stallion
Threads
Reaction score
The current Camaros are sitting at around 51/49 I believe (minus Zl1), so I'd like the '15 to get around there. current mustangs are too nose heavy, especially the Gt500 (56/44 i believe)I'd also like for them to work on the brake dive. In videos of panic-stops for the GT/BOSS/GT500 it really seems like the nose is diving alot, especially compared to the Camaro. I'd also like to see the current engines remain, but with DI added. This and Ti-VCT may be hard to add to the 5.8 (who knows?) but the 5.0 i know can get DI and the 3.7 should too. Maybe kick the 3.7 to 340hp (if Hyundai can, Ford can) and have the 4-cyl stay at 300ish for the base. The Premium models should be much more upscale to appeal to snooty Europeans (kidding). I know IRS is coming, so make sure it's better executed than the old Cobras (I'm sure it will)

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Fun Fact... the whole rear subframe for the Cobra IRS was held in by four bolts!!!

Grimm

Threads
Reaction score
The current Camaros are sitting at around 51/49 I believe (minus Zl1), so I'd like the '15 to get around there. current mustangs are too nose heavy, especially the Gt500 (56/44 i believe)
It's impressive that even with the current nose heavy weight distribution, the Boss 302 can still squirt around at track as quickly as it does. Imagine the next Boss 302 with weight reduction and more balanced weight (hopefully). It will be something else! :eek:
Sponsored