Sponsored

2015 Mustang Interior Shows Paddle Shifters, Push Button Start, BLIS, C Pillar, etc.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
Theres a reason the Aston costs $300k... Ford couldn't offer an option like that at an affordable price.
At least 80k of which has to be because James Bond drove one.
Sponsored

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
I really wish they could find a way to make the B pillar that slender. It's one of the things that bothers me about the current car is that big B pillar that sort of goes to the whole car being so clunky and outdated feeling. I know this is a pony/muscle car so chassis strength is a big priority but many modern day cars find a way to do it. Making it hidden from the exterior is a good start but I wanna see that thing smaller to begin with.

Sorry crappy image but couldn't find a great shot with the same angles as the other ones posted here.
Sit in a 370Z. Because of the B-pillars, the quarter windows are completely useless.

StangFX

Sit in a 370Z. Because of the B-pillars, the quarter windows are completely useless.
I've never sat in one but they look like a total after-thought purely for aesthetics. The floating window in the Mustang, while functional, visibility could be so much better without that large chunky pillar. I absolutely love how it's done on the Evos, almost invisible from the outside and from the inside the door panels flow from front to rear almost as if there's no pillar there. If theres anything the Mustang should borrow from the Evos, it's this IMO.

29-2015-ford-mustang-live-1.jpg
evos-interior-01.jpg

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
I agree but on the Evos where are the seat belts for the front seats? :shrug:

Sponsored

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
I've never sat in one but they look like a total after-thought purely for aesthetics. The floating window in the Mustang, while functional, visibility could be so much better without that large chunky pillar. I absolutely love how it's done on the Evos, almost invisible from the outside and from the inside the door panels flow from front to rear almost as if there's no pillar there. If theres anything the Mustang should borrow from the Evos, it's this IMO.
I'm willing to bet they could make the b-pillars minuscule, but how much would costs explode due to materials? Keep in mind those pillars are supposed to handle multiples of the weight of the car.

On the Z, the windows are recessed from view behind 4 inch thick pillars.

I tried to find a picture, but apparently no one takes one of them. At the same time, the Zs don't have back seats or trunks.

I really feel that the quarter windows are pretty much useless on any coupe.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
I'm willing to bet they could make the b-pillars minuscule, but how much would costs explode due to materials? Keep in mind those pillars are supposed to handle multiples of the weight of the car.
Have you seen the B-max? It doesn't have B pillars. I'm not sure if the C-Max is the same way.

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
Have you seen the B-max? It doesn't have B pillars. I'm not sure if the C-Max is the same way.
I think it may have to due with the purpose of the car. I doubt the b-max (at least i hope not) is going to be thrown at a turn at high speeds under WOT. So it may not need the strength the b pillar offers?

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
I think it may have to due with the purpose of the car. I doubt the b-max (at least i hope not) is going to be thrown at a turn at high speeds under WOT. So it may not need the strength the b pillar offers?
It's funny you mention this as I had never seen the B-Max until watching Fifth Gear last night and seeing them whip through a slalom course at 70mph. It was pretty impressive how the electronics were able to keep the car under control.

Sponsored

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
I stand corrected lol, so much for my guess. Any other ideas? I would love to see a b pillar-less car. Or then would the c pillar become the b and the term c pillar term gets the boot?

stangray11

B pillar is there of course. It's been seen in spy photos. Only question is whether it is hidden/connected, which all indications say yes.

Doubt we'll see a b pillar that is very slimmed down either. It's also a surefire way to add extra weight and cost for having to stiffen the chassis with extra bracing. Too bad we won't be seeing anything like this anytime soon, or ever again.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Fuggit I'd still do it.

I wring out every car I drive.
Sponsored