Sponsored

2015 Mustang Engine Lineup and Power Figures Revealed by Ford Survey

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
I've seen those surveys many times over the years and across manufacturers. The HP numbers are never final or real (just as the displacement isn't real) - this is merely a positional number to evaluate the product against the competition.
At this point in the development process, the final numbers certainly aren't set and they won't be set as final until just before production. Typically if there is an early introduction to be made they declare an "at least xxx" number (as we saw just a few months ago for the LT1) in the early press materials.
IF production is in April, then we'll see the final numbers then. IF it's in summer, then we won't see them until then and there is still several months of work to go. That leaves open lots of room for movement. They can't add DI now if it wasn't already planned, that's not how it works. But there is a helluva lot of modelling and electronics work as well as dyno work being done all along.
I referenced C&D because there have been other surveys in the last 2 years, and their editors will have read all of that just as we have (hopefully, just like us, before Ford had them yanked down). Their article is based on the accumulation of information over the past two years, rumors, spy pics, and more. And their information is at a minimum three months old or more and a lot would have taken place since then.

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I've seen those surveys many times over the years and across manufacturers. The HP numbers are never final or real (just as the displacement isn't real) - this is merely a positional number to evaluate the product against the competition.
At this point in the development process, the final numbers certainly aren't set and they won't be set as final until just before production. Typically if there is an early introduction to be made they declare an "at least xxx" number (as we saw just a few months ago for the LT1) in the early press materials.
IF production is in April, then we'll see the final numbers then. IF it's in summer, then we won't see them until then and there is still several months of work to go. That leaves open lots of room for movement. They can't add DI now if it wasn't already planned, that's not how it works. But there is a helluva lot of modelling and electronics work as well as dyno work being done all along.
I referenced C&D because there have been other surveys in the last 2 years, and their editors will have read all of that just as we have (hopefully, just like us, before Ford had them yanked down). Their article is based on the accumulation of information over the past two years, rumors, spy pics, and more. And their information is at a minimum three months old or more and a lot would have taken place since then.
This has nothing to do with C&D. The article was bunk.

The numbers from FORD are more or less set already, give or take +/- a few HP's. Trivial stuff. The targets were determined long ago and like it or not this is the lineup we will see next year. The survey has given an accurate preview of what to expect.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
This has nothing to do with C&D. The article was bunk.

The numbers from FORD are more or less set already, give or take +/- a few HP's. Trivial stuff. The targets were determined long ago and like it or not this is the lineup we will see next year. The survey has given an accurate preview of what to expect.
Your "accurate" survey does not even have the capacities correct - and thus it would not be unreasonable to deduce that the quoted HP figures would be similarly inaccurate OR may not even be Ford.

Sponsored

331coupe

Threads
Reaction score
My point is that if one side of the equasion is unreliable, so is the other...if I have to spell out the "obvious".
I think that's what mitchell was saying for the most part...the numbers aren't exact but they are close...I think we can all say from knowing what we know about these cars is those hp ratings are very close.

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe

mister.peabodyjunior

Threads
Reaction score
My point is that if one side of the equasion is unreliable, so is the other...if I have to spell out the "obvious".
I think you took what I said the wrong way a little. All I'm trying to say is if one side of the equation is slightly off, the other side is slightly off, at best. Surveys use psychological tricks and techniques to produce desired answers.

Sponsored

cjstangman

Threads
Reaction score
The survey says 2.4L, C&D reported 2.3L, but the EB 4cyl is 2.5L. The Mustang is getting a 2.5 right?

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
The survey says 2.4L, C&D reported 2.3L, but the EB 4cyl is 2.5L. The Mustang is getting a 2.5 right?
With production already underway on 1.0, 1.6, 2.0, and 3.5L Ecoboost engines, I'd say that leaves the door open for just about anything.

Although, most would agree that it'll likely be in the 2.3-2.5L range. A lot of people would like to see a Turbo 2.3L engine since the Mustang carried one back in the Fox days. Was there a huge outcry when Ford put a 300HP 3.7L V6 in the Mustang. I don't think so. As long as it hauls butt and gets decent mileage, most people will be happy.

I've not read what the current I4 block max displacement is. Anyone know?

cjstangman

Threads
Reaction score
There is no EB 2.5
For some reason I thought the ST had a Turbo 2.5, but it is a 2.0 with 252 hp. :headbonk:

So there are only 2 EB engines right now? (2.0 and 3.5)

I'm going to assume that the 2.3 will be a close variation of the 2.0 in order to avoid first run complications ;)

stangray11

This really should be no surprise. Rumors have been around for over a year that the next RS Focus will also get the 2.3L but tuned for even higher output. More engine sharing makes sense.
Sponsored