2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
Mmmmmm. I love chicken.
Sponsored

Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Ok, now you guys have just gone too far! :)

I've read all sorts of opinions concerning the placement of tach and speedo, about renders looking like Honda's (or whatever), and whatever else is the current hot topic. But tread into units systems ('metric' vs. 'English') and I must speak up!

From a scientific and engineering perspective, in my opinion, the metric units systems are far, FAR superior to the English systems. Working w/ English systems is a royal pain in the neck, at least in fluid dynamics. In my opinion, the main problem w/ English systems is a confusion over mass vs. force. The fact that metric systems are all decimal based (except for time) is also a nice touch.

I can't recall any details of the following anymore (memory is the second thing to go, right?), but I'm almost positive a rather large mistake in aerospace (I think it was a rocket, actually) was due, ultimately, to forgetting the gravitational constant (i.e. mass v. force or vice versa) somewhere in a derivation. It's so easy to do. Poor bastard who did it, though.

So, in my little world, a change over to MKS (meter-kilogram-second) units, say, would be MOST welcome, and is certainly in no way 'politically correct'.

That said, is a change to a 'sane' units system ever going to happen in my lifetime? My opinion: Hell, no.

If my lousy communication 'skills' have failed me yet again, the above is meant in a friendly way.

Back to regularly scheduled programming...