Sponsored

2015 Mustang Engine Lineup and Power Figures Revealed by Ford Survey

331coupe

Threads
Reaction score
It is entirely feasible that we lose v8's. Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche, jaguar have all shown that electric and small engine hybrids can beat regular engine powered sports cars albeit not affordable at this time. Once people get use to, and you have the four cyl + hybrid beating a v8, then consumers will just buy the best performing. Is this what I want - no, but it is entirely feasible
Feasible.... yes, likely..... no. These are muscle cars, Camaro, vette, mustang, challenger. They're considered that because they have performance v8's aka muscle. Without that they aren't what they've always been. Ferrari, Porsche, etc...have never been muscle cars, they have always been exotic cars, doesn't really matter whats under the "hood", as long as the car is light, handles good, and will do 160mph+
Sponsored

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
Feasible.... yes, likely..... no. These are muscle cars, Camaro, vette, mustang, challenger. They're considered that because they have performance v8's aka muscle. Without that they aren't what they've always been. Ferrari, Porsche, etc...have never been muscle cars, they have always been exotic cars, doesn't really matter whats under the "hood", as long as the car is light, handles good, and will do 160mph+
The Mustang, Camaro and Challenger of the mid-1960s were originally known as "sports coupes," not "muscle cars." They weren't called muscle cars until several years later with the introduction of the S-Code Mustang with the 390, the Camaro SS 396, etc. Meanwhile, the entry-level models with six-cylinder engines were by no means muscle cars. Nor were the mid-performance level models with small V8s and 2-barrel carbs.

Still, the term "muscle car" was never sharply defined. The original Cutlass 442 only had a 330 cubic inch engine, but it is lumped into the category along with the 400 cubic inch model, which came along later. The introduction of the turbocharger would make the definition of a muscle car even more hazy, because the Buick Grand National, with its 231 cu in Turbo V6 was also considered a muscle car at the time.

The problem is "muscle car" is seventies terminology. When Ford drops a 3.5 Twin Turbo V6 in the Mustang, as they are sure to do eventually, they should be able to squeeze much more than the 365 hp out of it that it is currently tuned for in the front wheel drive Taurus SHO. Will that Mustang be a muscle car? It will have plenty of muscle, but it won't be a "muscle car" in the same sense that a Boss 429 is, though the newer model will most likely show the Boss its tail lights in the quarter mile.

"Sports coupe" is sixties terminology. Today that label seems better applied to the Toybaru FT-85/BRZ and the V6 Mustang, not the GT. "Pony Car" is pretty much a useless term, as it is a label often applied to all Mustangs and Camaros.

I thought "Performance Coupe" might be a good label, and then I saw it used recently in an article about the Hyundai Genesis 3.8 coupe. That car is most often compared to the Mustang V6, although its price puts it up against a conservatively-optioned base GT. So maybe that label works for mid-performance coupes.

Shelbys, Roush Mustangs (excluding the RS), and the rest seem to be the more legitimate inheritors of the "muscle car" label, though I call them "Tuner Mustangs."

The Sarge

I just saw this thread get posted over at Motor Trend. It's funny reading some comments calling the engine power/torque/mpg #s wrong because the V6 is listed as -5hp and -2mpg less than the current one. The reasoning is how can a car that weighs less and has less HP get worse fuel economy? Hmm let's see maybe this is indication that it won't lose weight? There's nothing in the survey that gives any dimensional or weight specs.

I don't like it, but if those numbers are accurate, that little mpg detail in there is a big clue to me that it's not losing a few hundred pounds (or even ludicrous claims of up to 400lbs) at least for the base model.

EDIT: Upon further reading someone pointed out the V6 mpg was for the manual which is 19/29 so it's actually unchanged. My point still stands. Everything else being equal this is a clue no significant weight was dropped.
New and updated motors could change that in a few years but yes it does look like for the first year at least with carryover engines and exact same mpg figures it could mean it's not losing much, if any weight at all.

Unfortunate but it is looking like any MPG increases will have to be done mainly via powertrain improvements during the life of the S550 platform.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
New and updated motors could change that in a few years but yes it does look like for the first year at least with carryover engines and exact same mpg figures it could mean it's not losing much, if any weight at all.

Unfortunate but it is looking like any MPG increases will have to be done mainly via powertrain improvements during the life of the S550 platform.
"The EPA says that for every 100 pounds taken out of the vehicle, the fuel economy is increased by 1-2 percent."

So in a best case scenario (2%), if Ford manages to cut 200 pounds out of the Mustang for 2015, it would improve a 29 mpg figure by a little more than half a mile per gallon (0.58 mpg).

Important to remember that for the purposes of the survey, current mpg figures were used. That doesn't mean that they won't be be slightly improved for 2015. The EPA hasn't certified the 2015 Mustang yet, and Ford has been burned in the past by estimating mpg figures that failed to live up to expectations come certification time.

331coupe

Threads
Reaction score
The Mustang, Camaro and Challenger of the mid-1960s were originally known as "sports coupes," not "muscle cars." They weren't called muscle cars until several years later with the introduction of the S-Code Mustang with the 390, the Camaro SS 396, etc. Meanwhile, the entry-level models with six-cylinder engines were by no means muscle cars. Nor were the mid-performance level models with small V8s and 2-barrel carbs.

Still, the term "muscle car" was never sharply defined. The original Cutlass 442 only had a 330 cubic inch engine, but it is lumped into the category along with the 400 cubic inch model, which came along later. The introduction of the turbocharger would make the definition of a muscle car even more hazy, because the Buick Grand National, with its 231 cu in Turbo V6 was also considered a muscle car at the time.

The problem is "muscle car" is seventies terminology. When Ford drops a 3.5 Twin Turbo V6 in the Mustang, as they are sure to do eventually, they should be able to squeeze much more than the 365 hp out of it that it is currently tuned for in the front wheel drive Taurus SHO. Will that Mustang be a muscle car? It will have plenty of muscle, but it won't be a "muscle car" in the same sense that a Boss 429 is, though the newer model will most likely show the Boss its tail lights in the quarter mile.

"Sports coupe" is sixties terminology. Today that label seems better applied to the Toybaru FT-85/BRZ and the V6 Mustang, not the GT. "Pony Car" is pretty much a useless term, as it is a label often applied to all Mustangs and Camaros.

I thought "Performance Coupe" might be a good label, and then I saw it used recently in an article about the Hyundai Genesis 3.8 coupe. That car is most often compared to the Mustang V6, although its price puts it up against a conservatively-optioned base GT. So maybe that label works for mid-performance coupes.

Shelbys, Roush Mustangs (excluding the RS), and the rest seem to be the more legitimate inheritors of the "muscle car" label, though I call them "Tuner Mustangs."
I think were getting a little carried away with terminology here. My point was these cars along with Camaro's, Vette's, Challenger's are your AMERICAN sports cars. Whatever you prefer to call them: muscle cars, performance coupe, etc...Have some of them always had base models with V6's...yeah, but they were known for their V8's and that is what made them popular. You can put as many and as big of turbos as you want on a V6, and it will still be a V6, no matter how much power it makes. Remember you can always put turbos on a V8 as well. There is NO replacement for displacement. I can assure you, many people including myself won't buy mustangs with v6's in them. Ford will have to follow Chevy's lead in the fuel mileage game, that would be alot better option for them than getting rid of the V8 and going to turbo 6 cylinders.

Sponsored

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
[...]

I can assure you, many people including myself won't buy mustangs with v6's in them.

[...]
I couldn't care less how many cylinders the engine has. If I were purchasing a car solely for its performance, I would buy the one that gets on down the road quickest.

I'd take a Grand National over a GS455 any day of the week. The GNX would turn 13.2 second/104 mph quarter miles and do 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds. The GS455 Stage 1 needed 6.5 sec to go from 0 to 60 and had a quarter mile e.t. of 13.8 sec @ 101 mph. Plus, it would write checks that its brakes and suspension couldn't cash.

If the 2.3 Turbo four in the S550 offers me the most bang for my limited bucks, that's the one I'll opt for.

But the sound of a well-tuned V8 is indeed intoxicating. If that's what matters most to most people, I say, "Get 'em while you can!"

331coupe

Threads
Reaction score
I couldn't care less how many cylinders the engine has. If I were purchasing a car solely for its performance, I would buy the one that gets on down the road quickest.

I'd take a Grand National over a GS455 any day of the week. The GNX would turn 13.2 second/104 mph quarter miles and do 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds. The GS455 Stage 1 needed 6.5 sec to go from 0 to 60 and had a quarter mile e.t. of 13.8 sec @ 101 mph. Plus, it would write checks that its brakes and suspension couldn't cash.

If the 2.3 Turbo four in the S550 offers me the most bang for my limited bucks, that's the one I'll opt for.

But the sound of a well-tuned V8 is indeed intoxicating. If that's what matters most to most people, I say, "Get 'em while you can!"
I don't think the sound of a V8 is why people buy them. Your example of the Grand National vs. the GS455 was a good one, but that same thing doesn't hold true in today's world. V8's back then aren't doing what the current V8's are doing. Plus most people buying cars based on performance alone generally aren't leaving them stock...which again proves my point that there is no replacement for displacement. Ford may very well put a 3.5L twin turbo setup into a mustang, and it may make 450hp or so, but when you have a V8 that makes 400+ n/a hp there is no comparison. Now you take that v6 with twins, it's already more or less a maxed out combo. Sure maybe you can add a tune, and some other minor bolt on's and get 500hp, but your at the limit. Now you take the v8 and add minor bolt ons and a tune and it's making 450+ N/A hp, not to mention you can always add boost (turbo,supercharger) and make 650+. Now were just discussing hp, torque is whole different ball game, and the V6 definitely can't compete. I'm not worried about the v8 going any where.

ArtRios87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Brembo Pack
If anything the mustang too will come with some sort of hybrid technology, start stop and engine deactivation and I am ok with all that as long as the engine under the hood its a V8. For now it seems like Ford might get a bump in MPGs by reducing the cars weight and adding another gear to its transmission.

331coupe

Threads
Reaction score
For now it seems like Ford might get a bump in MPGs by reducing the cars weight and adding another gear to its transmission.
This will happen until either the cost to produce gets to high and really starts raising the price of the vehicle, and or the mpg standard gets so outrageous, then I agree they will do some sort of a hybrid type deal. JMO

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
[...]

Now you take that v6 with twins, it's already more or less a maxed out combo. Sure maybe you can add a tune, and some other minor bolt on's and get 500hp, but your at the limit.

[...]
The 2.5 liter four in Ken Block's rally car makes 600 horsepower and 665 pound-feet of torque. Ford RallyCross team manager Andreas Eriksson says the little engine is capable of producing 900 hp, but they have limited it to 600 because any more, and the power to weight ratio is more than any driver can manage.

So 500 hp out of a 3.5 liter twin turbo V6 would be nowhere near maxxed out. A version of the engine in a Riley prototype just broke Bill Elliot's record at Daytona and set a new mark of 222.971 mph. Doug Yates, who knows more about engines than you or I will ever know, won't say how much horsepower the engine is making. All he would say is that this engine "is the future."

http://bit.ly/16PjwFO

Sponsored

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
310/310 or similar numbers for the I4 sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Might be a difficult choice for me between a stripper GT or a loaded I4. Loaded GT would be out of my price range, most likely.

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Ya, I'm not going to go for the V8. I'm not a racer, so I don't know where I'd use that much power. it's just more cost in ins, tickets, tires, more tickets, higher ins...

I'll have to drive the I4 and the V6 to see which I like best for my style of driving.

331coupe

Threads
Reaction score
The 2.5 liter four in Ken Block's rally car makes 600 horsepower and 665 pound-feet of torque. Ford RallyCross team manager Andreas Eriksson says the little engine is capable of producing 900 hp, but they have limited it to 600 because any more, and the power to weight ratio is more than any driver can manage.

So 500 hp out of a 3.5 liter twin turbo V6 would be nowhere near maxxed out. A version of the engine in a Riley prototype just broke Bill Elliot's record at Daytona and set a new mark of 222.971 mph. Doug Yates, who knows more about engines than you or I will ever know, won't say how much horsepower the engine is making. All he would say is that this engine "is the future."

http://bit.ly/16PjwFO
Ken Blocks motor is far from stock also, so yeah I'd say 500hp on a stock v6 is pretty maxed out. Yates isn't an idiot, he knows like I know and most anyone else knows, and that's that a v6 will never match the power of a v8.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
Ken Blocks motor is far from stock also, so yeah I'd say 500hp on a stock v6 is pretty maxed out. Yates isn't an idiot, he knows like I know and most anyone else knows, and that's that a v6 will never match the power of a v8.
LOL, if 900 hp is possible out of a 2.5 liter four, 500 hp from a 3.5 liter V6 is nowhere near maxxed out.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
None of which is emissions legal or serviceable by a dealer.
Sponsored