Sponsored

2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium 200A vs 201A

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I have had 3 Mustangs...an 89, 96 GT, and a 03 V6. The GT had the Mach 460 stereo and I loved it. My 03 had the base stereo. I didn't like it much at all.

I am getting close to hitting my limit as far as budget so I am trying to see where I can make a few cuts. I am planning on getting the EcoBoost Premium along with the 50th Anniversary PKG. These are non negotiable. ;-)

My big question is on the stereo that comes with 201A. Are there any of you that have a prior Mustang that has a similar stereo? Obviously the Shaker Pro is going to be the best of them all. It has extra speakers and I am assuming also has a better amp. It also comes with HD Radio, but how much better will it be over the 9 speaker stereo that comes with 200A? Also will the amp take up a ton of trunk space?

Honestly, I can live without the memory seats. I will be the only person driving the car 99.99% of the time. The blind spot system is nice (especially when backing out of parking spots).

With that said, my main reason for getting 201A over 200A would be how much better the stereo is going to be and if I lose trunk space. Is it worth the $1795 extra?
Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
If it's just the stereo you're after I'd definately go for the 200A and save my money for a good aftermarket upgrade.

Throw in a JBL MS-8 with a custom sub plus amp and you'll be miles better off than with a Shaker Pro.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I have had 3 Mustangs...an 89, 96 GT, and a 03 V6. The GT had the Mach 460 stereo and I loved it. My 03 had the base stereo. I didn't like it much at all.

I am getting close to hitting my limit as far as budget so I am trying to see where I can make a few cuts. I am planning on getting the EcoBoost Premium along with the 50th Anniversary PKG. These are non negotiable. ;-)

My big question is on the stereo that comes with 201A. Are there any of you that have a prior Mustang that has a similar stereo? Obviously the Shaker Pro is going to be the best of them all. It has extra speakers and I am assuming also has a better amp. It also comes with HD Radio, but how much better will it be over the 9 speaker stereo that comes with 200A? Also will the amp take up a ton of trunk space?

Honestly, I can live without the memory seats. I will be the only person driving the car 99.99% of the time. The blind spot system is nice (especially when backing out of parking spots).

With that said, my main reason for getting 201A over 200A would be how much better the stereo is going to be and if I lose trunk space. Is it worth the $1795 extra?
The 201A also comes with the blind spot navigation warning to warn you about switching lanes, cars in blind spots, etc. For me that's enough to get that.

The sub/amp is pretty big. There is a pic here (http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45929&postcount=428)

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Ford's premium stereos are nothing special. The mirrors have blind-spot aids already built in, and electronics can always go bad so you don't want to rely on that little light. Save your money and build a good aftermarket stereo system. You'll save enough to have it professionally installed by a car audio technician.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Ford's premium stereos are nothing special. The mirrors have blind-spot aids already built in, and electronics can always go bad so you don't want to rely on that little light. Save your money and build a good aftermarket stereo system. You'll save enough to have it professionally installed by a car audio technician.
Do you really want someone messing around in your brand new 2015 Ford Mustang with no experience in dealing with the new model/design?

No thank you. Most Audio Techs I wouldn't trust with any of my prized possessions.

Sponsored

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Do you really want someone messing around in your brand new 2015 Ford Mustang with no experience in dealing with the new model/design?

No thank you. Most Audio Techs I wouldn't trust with any of my prized possessions.
I learned this the hard way. I had Best Buy install an amp, sub and replace the 5x7's in the door and rear decklid. The new Ford's use the PCM as a grounding platform rather than the chassis, which I wasn't aware of. Somewhere during the install, the "Install Tech" (I use the term loosely) shorted a live wire for the amp to the ground. I'm sure it popped a fuse, which was replaced and I was never told.

About a week later, I was driving home on the hottest day of the year. It was 113 degrees with heat index. The car started running weird, overheating and the A/C completely quit working. I pulled over at a gas station with my kids and we let it cool off for about 30 minutes. We got back on the road and the car ran okay, but still no A/C.

Turns out, the dude at Best Buy destroyed the PCM on me. Luckily, Ford took care of it, but I was without a car for an entire month. Personally, I think it's stupid to use the PCM as a grounding platform, but oh well. He still could have grounded to the chassis for the amp install and we wouldn't have had a problem. Next time, I'll do it myself (depending on how good the new Shaker Pro is, which will probably be slightly better, but still suck).

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Depending on your level of "audiophile-ness", I believe the 9-speaker Shaker set-up should be a reasonable performer. I've been pleased with the Shaker set-up in my '10 GT premium. Of course, I preface this with my hearing is somewhat dulled by loud music from my college years back in the '80s. There is enough bass to "feel" the music, and it projects well enough when the windows are down. If your ears are really sensitive, however, and you can tune in on the highs and midranges, it might not meet your needs.

The Shaker Pro will have some punch but at the expense of trunk space.

I also am not a huge fan of someone messing with an aftermarket stereo installation, not that there aren't those folks who can do an excellent job at it out there.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
The Shaker Pro will have some punch but at the expense of trunk space.

I also am not a huge fan of someone messing with an aftermarket stereo installation, not that there aren't those folks who can do an excellent job at it out there.
Yah I'd like to see the differences in trunk space (#s). Seen the pic, bass tube/box doesn't look that big.

As for the installers, yah I'm sure there are ones out there and suggest people post if they know of any, but since this is a new vehicle and design, ain't no way anyone is getting into my car and opening it up to run wires or put in speakers/amp/bass etc.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I learned this the hard way. I had Best Buy install an amp, sub and replace the 5x7's in the door and rear decklid. The new Ford's use the PCM as a grounding platform rather than the chassis, which I wasn't aware of. Somewhere during the install, the "Install Tech" (I use the term loosely) shorted a live wire for the amp to the ground. I'm sure it popped a fuse, which was replaced and I was never told.

About a week later, I was driving home on the hottest day of the year. It was 113 degrees with heat index. The car started running weird, overheating and the A/C completely quit working. I pulled over at a gas station with my kids and we let it cool off for about 30 minutes. We got back on the road and the car ran okay, but still no A/C.

Turns out, the dude at Best Buy destroyed the PCM on me. Luckily, Ford took care of it, but I was without a car for an entire month. Personally, I think it's stupid to use the PCM as a grounding platform, but oh well. He still could have grounded to the chassis for the amp install and we wouldn't have had a problem. Next time, I'll do it myself (depending on how good the new Shaker Pro is, which will probably be slightly better, but still suck).
That sucks. Yah most BB or any box store installer you are taking your car's life out of your hands.
Sponsored