RyanRGS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Hello!

I am fairly new to this forum and this is my first post! My name is Ryan and I have enjoyed and learned a lot so far from reading many threads and posts. My apologies if this thread should have been part of an existing one that I did not find.

I have a 2015 GT Premium S550 that is pretty much stock aside from aftermarket, MBRP Cat Back exhaust. I just had a Whipple Gen 5 3.0L Supercharger (and WOW! huge gains). I do have an issue however that is becoming a mystery.

After the engine is warm and after about 15 minutes of normal city driving, the idle speed get wonky. It revs from about 750RPM all the way up to 1600PRM. This fluctuation mostly stays around 1600RPM but occasionally drops down to between 900 and 1100RPM, then climbs back up to 1600RPM, then back down again. This cycle lasts about 15 seconds and constantly repeats.

We smoke tested for leaks, Whipple thinking it may be an exhaust leak. Turns out, smoke from the test was pouring out of the throttle body right at the sensor. long story short, Whipple send a new, replacement TB. I just had it installed today and tested it out on the way home from the shop. The Issue Remains. After the engine was warm and after a couple of stop lights, the revs as described above continue. I saw a post in regards to one suggestion that Whipple said to make magnet adjustments within the TB but, that was an older model as Whipple explained to me and that apparently would not apply to me and the Gen 5 model.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?? ( I am in consultation with my shop and Whipple still at this point but wanted other expert opinions on troubleshooting..?).
Sponsored

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hello!

I am fairly new to this forum and this is my first post! My name is Ryan and I have enjoyed and learned a lot so far from reading many threads and posts. My apologies if this thread should have been part of an existing one that I did not find.

I have a 2015 GT Premium S550 that is pretty much stock aside from aftermarket, MBRP Cat Back exhaust. I just had a Whipple Gen 5 3.0L Supercharger (and WOW! huge gains). I do have an issue however that is becoming a mystery.

After the engine is warm and after about 15 minutes of normal city driving, the idle speed get wonky. It revs from about 750RPM all the way up to 1600PRM. This fluctuation mostly stays around 1600RPM but occasionally drops down to between 900 and 1100RPM, then climbs back up to 1600RPM, then back down again. This cycle lasts about 15 seconds and constantly repeats.

We smoke tested for leaks, Whipple thinking it may be an exhaust leak. Turns out, smoke from the test was pouring out of the throttle body right at the sensor. long story short, Whipple send a new, replacement TB. I just had it installed today and tested it out on the way home from the shop. The Issue Remains. After the engine was warm and after a couple of stop lights, the revs as described above continue. I saw a post in regards to one suggestion that Whipple said to make magnet adjustments within the TB but, that was an older model as Whipple explained to me and that apparently would not apply to me and the Gen 5 model.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?? ( I am in consultation with my shop and Whipple still at this point but wanted other expert opinions on troubleshooting..?).
It sounds like a lesn condition as the car warms the revs climp. I'm no expert but how about an intak
Hello!

Since it started after the Whipple install I'd guess intake manifold leak. I'm no expert but that's where I'd start.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like a lesn condition as the car warms the revs climp. I'm no expert but how about an intak

Since it started after the Whipple install I'd guess intake manifold leak. I'm no expert but that's where I'd start.
Also makes sense that it'd get worse after warm up.. Expansion from heat... Lean condition.. Elevated idle. The fluctuation is probably the mass air flow sensor trying to figure out what's going on and adjust but it can't. Just guessing.

OP
OP
RyanRGS

RyanRGS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Thank for the tip. I'm headed back to the shop where they want to troubleshoot for any additional leaks.

nedim1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Magnetic Metallic GT
Who’s doing the tuning? This is most likely a tune issue. I had the same issue with my Odin and a tune revision got rid of it. Obviously not the same supercharger platform, but I would think it’d be the same problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RyanRGS

RyanRGS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
As it turns out, even after a new TB replacement and near complete reinstallation, my shop had to make adjustments to the Whipple's tune itself. Once done, the idle issue has since disappeared. Thanks all for you suggestions!

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As it turns out, even after a new TB replacement and near complete reinstallation, my shop had to make adjustments to the Whipple's tune itself. Once done, the idle issue has since disappeared. Thanks all for you suggestions!
I'll bet the intake manifold wasn't torqued correctly. JMTC.
Sponsored