Sponsored

2015 GT PP Rear Wheel Hub Bearing/Assembly

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So, I posted a while ago about how my 15 GT at higher speeds felt squirrely. Couldn't get a real solid answer. I finally took it to a shop who said I need a new left rear wheel hub bearing.

I'm going to have a family friend whos a trusted mechanic take a second look at it to confirm. Does anyone have links to an upgraded version of this? Any other upgrades I should throw on while the car is apart? I most likely will replace both sides since it probably makes sense to do so.

TIA for your help!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So, I posted a while ago about how my 15 GT at higher speeds felt squirrely. Couldn't get a real solid answer. I finally took it to a shop who said I need a new left rear wheel hub bearing.

I'm going to have a family friend whos a trusted mechanic take a second look at it to confirm. Does anyone have links to an upgraded version of this? Any other upgrades I should throw on while the car is apart? I most likely will replace both sides since it probably makes sense to do so.

TIA for your help!
I just did mine myself a few weeks ago. I'm not aware of anything that's a real upgrade. I replaced with another Motorcraft one from Rockauto.

OP
OP

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just did mine myself a few weeks ago. I'm not aware of anything that's a real upgrade. I replaced with another Motorcraft one from Rockauto.

If you don't mind me asking. How many miles did you have before it went bad? I'm only @ 40k.

also - can you link me to what you got.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info! I'll take a look. Guess I just got a bad apple.
Unfortunately, no. There have been a lot of bearing failures associated with the 2015-2016 rear axle nuts.

OP
OP

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Unfortunately, no. There have been a lot of bearing failures associated with the 2015-2016 rear axle nuts.
The more I keep looking the more I keep seeing that.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Just get a new Ford unit. If the other one isn’t bad yet, I wouldn’t replace it since there is no real time or money savings for doing both. Check your brake pad wear while you’re in there.

I’ve replaced 3 rear hubs so far in 50k miles, but my car sees road courses and high G autox pretty regularly and I have more offset than stock. I’m on my 6th set of race tires, so the hubs get used hard.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Just get a new Ford unit. If the other one isn’t bad yet, I wouldn’t replace it since there is no real time or money savings for doing both. Check your brake pad wear while you’re in there.

I’ve replaced 3 rear hubs so far in 50k miles, but my car sees road courses and high G autox pretty regularly and I have more offset than stock. I’m on my 6th set of race tires, so the hubs get used hard.
It's still pretty nuts how fast they wear out though...

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2018 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
My '15 GT PP went in to limp mode and I had no idea why. Shut it down and start it up and all was good... Then limp mode again, grrr! I cycled the start of the car again and gingerly drove the car to the dealership. Both rear wheel hubs were bad and actually caused an error with the traction control system sending the car in limp mode. I am not positive if there was a TSB or not, but the dealer provided me a loner car and replaced both wheel hubs at no cost. I recall them telling me about quality issues with the wheel hub that is causing failures. This occurred at about 25k miles.

Sponsored
OP
OP

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah mine ended up being the driver side rear bearing going bad. replaced that, added some heavy duty loctite gel, and a new axle nut from ford. So for so good and it drives like a whole new car.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
My '15 GT PP went in to limp mode and I had no idea why. Shut it down and start it up and all was good... Then limp mode again, grrr! I cycled the start of the car again and gingerly drove the car to the dealership. Both rear wheel hubs were bad and actually caused an error with the traction control system sending the car in limp mode. I am not positive if there was a TSB or not, but the dealer provided me a loner car and replaced both wheel hubs at no cost. I recall them telling me about quality issues with the wheel hub that is causing failures. This occurred at about 25k miles.
NO shit, mine did the same thing on the track recently. I wonder if mine are bad. I know I have a clunk in the rear every once in a while and I can't for the life of me track it down. Replaced a lot of parts to find it but still there. Sounds like I have a Winter project.

OP
OP

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
NO shit, mine did the same thing on the track recently. I wonder if mine are bad. I know I have a clunk in the rear every once in a while and I can't for the life of me track it down. Replaced a lot of parts to find it but still there. Sounds like I have a Winter project.

Mine was really BAD. Like, as soon as I jacked it up and you could basically could shake the tire/wheel around while it was up in the air.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Wow, well mine can't be that bad. Having said that, I do notice sometimes when I am hard on and off the throttle in a straight line it seems to be a bit loose feeing in the rear. Almost like when the tires are fighting ruts in the lane. Being my car sees the track every once in a while I always fear mechanical failure at the worst time, so I will likely change them out.

OP
OP

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wow, well mine can't be that bad. Having said that, I do notice sometimes when I am hard on and off the throttle in a straight line it seems to be a bit loose feeing in the rear. Almost like when the tires are fighting ruts in the lane. Being my car sees the track every once in a while I always fear mechanical failure at the worst time, so I will likely change them out.
Pretty accrate to what I felt.

Anything over 70 MPH the rear end felt squirrely. Check out the bearing bro and let me know!
Sponsored