Sponsored

2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost with PP VS. 2014 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I test drove a Genesis and was surprised by how much I liked it.
Pro - The ergonomics fit me better, the top interior was nicer, I could see out of it better. It didn't feel so big & heavy (comming from a WRX STI)
Con - The (manual) shifter was sloppy, the R spec seemed to ride a bit rougher (may have been the road), according to C&D the at the limit handling isn't very good, it's not well classed in Solo or Road Racing, not much aftermarket support, down almost 100hp to the GT I bought instead

TiE2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium, with saddle interior
I got turned off by Hyundai back when the second gen Tiburon was released. I had a buddy get a new GT V6 in 2002. with in a year, everything was falling apart on it. His tranny blew a 18 months in, with typical sport car driving.

a few years later my Mother got a Santa Fe, and it's tranny blew within 6 months... my mom dosen't race cars.

I hear their build quality has come leaps and bounds since the genesis was introduced, but if i'm buying import, I expect reliability and there are too many other options on the import side with longer track records.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a 2013 2.0T about a year and a half ago. It was OK. The best way I can describe it is that it has most of the individual pieces to be a fun sports car and DD, but they don't work harmoniously. The clutch take-up was annoying (bite point wayyy too high and pedal travel too long). The shifter wasn't too bad, maybe a little imprecise. Handling and steering seemed decent, though I didn't get to push it too hard. I liked the driving position, seats and cabin ergonomics.

To me it seemed like a car that will be quite good in its [next] third generation.

bscoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had a 2011 Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium and Loved it. I did some modding to it and it was a Fun car. Just like what was said, People will recognize the Mustang, but I was always getting comments on what type of car is that (most would guess Aston Martin). With the release that Ford is going to allow tuning on the the ecoboost, you know the aftermarket will be much better for the new Mustang. I think you'll enjoy either one. I traded my Gen for the GT Premium and I am loving it, still miss the Gen though.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
With the release that Ford is going to allow tuning on the the ecoboost, you know the aftermarket will be much better for the new Mustang.

The aftermarket has been tuning the EcoBoost for a while before FRPP.

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
There is no comparison. I just smoked a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec with my stock 2015 5.0. Look at the specs. From the hundai website, "The 2015 Genesis Coupe invigorates its class with aggressive, bold styling. But the real story is under the hood, where every Genesis comes equipped with a Gasoline Direct Injection V6 engine developing 348 horsepower* and 295* lb-ft of torque." That is not even close to a V8 5.0 Mustang GT.

Also, here's what Wikipedia says:

"When Car and Driver took a 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec to Virginia International Raceway for its yearly Lightning Lap time trial, they posted a time of 3:13.9 around VIR's Grand West configuration, 0.1 second slower than the 306-hp 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec and slower than the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Ford Mustang V6, Chevrolet Cobalt SS and Nissan NISMO 370Z. They were unsettled by its tendency to power oversteer, and its brake fade."

Case closed.

bscoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
There is no comparison. I just smoked a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec with my stock 2015 5.0. Look at the specs. From the hundai website, "The 2015 Genesis Coupe invigorates its class with aggressive, bold styling. But the real story is under the hood, where every Genesis comes equipped with a Gasoline Direct Injection V6 engine developing 348 horsepower* and 295* lb-ft of torque." That is not even close to a V8 5.0 Mustang GT.

Also, here's what Wikipedia says:

"When Car and Driver took a 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec to Virginia International Raceway for its yearly Lightning Lap time trial, they posted a time of 3:13.9 around VIR's Grand West configuration, 0.1 second slower than the 306-hp 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec and slower than the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Ford Mustang V6, Chevrolet Cobalt SS and Nissan NISMO 370Z. They were unsettled by its tendency to power oversteer, and its brake fade."

Case closed.
Of Course the 5.0 (V8) is gonna smoke a stock 2.0 (4cyl) or at least I would hope so. With my old genesis I would beat the old GT's but not the new ones. But that is the fun in modding the car. People wanna laugh because you are a 4 cyl but the laughing stops when you beat them :rant:

Sponsored

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
You were correct, my fault for not reading the full title. Just yesterday, somebody thought they were fast in their 2.0T against my 5.0...

bscoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
LOL, No Doubt. I say if they wanna test it, let them and wave in the rear view mirror

Sinnah

Mustang Newb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Genesis
You were correct, my fault for not reading the full title. Just yesterday, somebody thought they were fast in their 2.0T against my 5.0...
That's because a lot of Genesis owners in South Florida are cocky. Most of them are all about looks and could care less about performance. Fact of the matter is the Genesis coupe maxes out it turbo around 300whp. The 5.0 will beat them without even trying. So for any Genesis coupe on a stock turbo to try to run a 2014 or 2015 5.0 is just a waste of gas IMO. It's hard to defend most of the Gen Coupe nation down here because even though I drive one I have had many grill the hell out of me and blow off right next to me. I just think to myself why does most people with a Gen Coupe in South Florida have to be so dam ricey lol

All in all I most definitely believe you.

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
I came from a Genesis Coupe 3.8 track, and truth be told, trading it was the worst mistake Ive made in years. The mustang is a nice enough car but the Genesis just fit me better. I wanted something new and different, but honestly I should have just traded up to a '15 3.8 Ultimate (which, IMO, is about as ridiculous a marketing tag as 'ecoboost').

Thing is, the Genesis FEELS like a sports car. You sit IN it, the driving position is perfect, everything wraps around you. The mustang just feels weird and uncomfortable, in comparison; you could park a mini cooper on the hood, it's near impossible to find a proper seating position, and heaven help you if you need to adjust something on the dash while driving.

Then there are little things the Genesis offers; hood strut(!), bottom-hinged throttle, discrete "beep" when locking/unlocking, a trunk handle so you dont have to smudge the exterior closing it, expensive feeling portfolio for owner's manual/booklets. Key fob dies and you need to get in? Press one button on the fob, the metal key slides out, insert in lock, open door, replace key, push fob into slot, and youre off. On the mustang? pry apart the fob, remove key, pry off lock cover, unlock, replace key, replace lock cover, close the fob without somehow setting off the panic alarm, remove cup holder trim using microscopic tab, insert key....WAY too complicated for something so simple. Again, little things.

As for driving, the mustang has a better ride than my Track did, I'll give it that. It seems like it might handle better, or at the very least it has more grip. But sometimes handling can be about feel and not just numbers. And that's where the Genesis holds its own; you can place it in corners better, you can actually see over the hood, it feels smaller, lighter, more nimble than it is. Power? Well, I came from a tuned V6, so I cant really comment except to say my V6 would annihilate a stock ecoboost, but Im sure a tuned ecoboost would even the field. It also got MUCH better gas mileage, even with me hitting 7200 rpm on an almost-daily basis. Again, here's hoping a tune will cure the ecoboost's thirst, otherwise there's nothing eco about it.

Looks? Eh, subjective, I'll leave that up to the beholder. But, I will just say, I got more positive feedback on the Genesis. Like I mentioned in the Breaks Down Walls thread, at family dinner, no one paid attention or cared about my new car, other than one saying they liked my old one better.

These two may be competitors but they go about business in different ways. I may have traded one for the other, but again, so far it feels like it was a mistake. Im going to give the mustang at least a year; Im going to purchase a tune this week, and do a few things to it to (hopefully) make it more bearable. If my feelings havent changed by this time next year, I will take a loss and trade it early.

Bottom line, both flawed in their own ways but overall both are good cars; one just fit me better than the other....

Months late but I thought i'd comment on this;

I have extensive experience driving 2014-15 Genesis coupes, from 2.0T R-Specs, to 3.8L R-specs and everything in between. The steering is hydraulic, and feels absolutely amazing, and the seats... Ohhhh my god the seats. They are amazing.

Everything else? Crap crap and more crap.

The gearbox (manual) feels like you're shifting through a bag of rocks, mixed with elastic bands. It's horrible. The 3.8 feels fast, but trust me, it is not fast. 348hp? Yeah fucking right. More like 300. If you don't believe me, go look up dyno sheets of the 3.8l gen coupes.

Now for handling, it rides stupid rough. Like not good for daily driving rough, yet it is slower around a race track than a bone stock '14 V6 mustang with it's horribly wallowy and soft suspension. Why is this? i don't know.

Here's the biggest thing, I throw a Genesis into a corner, I have absolutely no idea what it's going to do. Take the same corner at the same speed three times, it'll understeer like a FWD once, snap oversteer once, and MAYBE, if it's in a good mood and the planets are all aligned- it'll stick. Likely not.

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]WcZ5sU1V1Lc[/MEDIA]"]

great video, he's an ecoboost owner.. so you definitely get alot of comparisons
Sponsored