Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

Mustang1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
air comes in thru the hood vent above it. true, it isn't sealed from the engine heat, but hopefully the vent air flow pushes that away. regardless, the proof is in how much more fun it is to drive, than stock! had the pp2 for months and still love it! :ford:
Air doesn't come in through the hood vent above it. Heat is extracted. Air does come in through the grill though the inlet duct
Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
PP1 is a waste of money if you ever want to do any other engine mods or headers. If you are satisfied with it then it's $ well spent IMO.
It was a noticeable difference in drivability and slight performance gain.
Once I went with Steeda Power pack the PP1 was like burning $400 as it is non-transferrable to someone elses car. So I paid $400 to not mess with my warranty for a year but still ended up tuning with 1 year left on warranty because I wanted more.
Less expensive mistake than switching out exhausts because I went with cheaper one.... Live and Learn!
Agreed -- for that matter, anything you're not satisfied with is a waste of money. None of the FRPP Power Packs will take into account any changes to exhaust, to include headers too. I disagree on the point of "any other mods" as popular centrifugal superchargers reuse some of the stuff you pull off to install packs 2, and 3.

I think pack 1 is fine for manual owners who are basically happy with their cars -- I have to look into the no lift shift thing further, but I think I've been pedaling the whole way to 60, except the last bit as to avoid spinning -- keep in mind that torque multiplies more with 3.73's, so breaking loose is easier -- that's another thing I may have to swap if I ever decide to go Vortech.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
Air doesn't come in through the hood vent above it. Heat is extracted. Air does come in through the grill though the inlet duct
my bad. you are right! but that does create an airflow going out above the cai. anyway, like I said, whatever it is doing, I love the driving results.

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Hmm. that would block out any air. I will have to take a closer look at mine. :shrug:

I don't have this setup, but it's still open to the front, per stock, and as others have pointed out, the seal goes in back of the drivers side heat extractor such that it may be subject to water entering during heavy rain or car washes. If the vent actually generates low pressure above it, it might have been drawing some hot air through it stock, but clearly not a whole lot -- whatever the case, I'd be very surprised to learn anything is robbing the engine of air.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have this setup, but it's still open to the front, per stock, and as others have pointed out, the seal goes in back of the drivers side heat extractor such that it may be subject to water entering during heavy rain or car washes. If the vent actually generates low pressure above it, it might have been drawing some hot air through it stock, but clearly not a whole lot -- whatever the case, I'd be very surprised to learn anything is robbing the engine of air.
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]fSdZo15v28k[/MEDIA]"]
With the front end lift and hood flutter, ditching that vent, in my own opinion not an aerodynamic engineer, just adds to the issue. But I assume the engineers tested the aero with this air intake in place.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP

With the front end lift and hood flutter, ditching that vent, in my own opinion not an aerodynamic engineer, just adds to the issue. But I assume the engineers tested the aero with this air intake in place.
It's possible - but the U.K. and others get their GT's without the heat extractors - so it's likely not too big of a deal. I want to believe they are functional.

Last edited:

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
When and where did you order from? Ordered mine for $675 after shipping from Levittown parts and was not given a delivery date. Ive been hearing it won't be here until end of August :(
Sorry for the late reply, I ordered mine from the group buy late last year. I've just had it sitting in my garage waiting to go on.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Thank you, sir. I want performance. I'm happy with the sound of the car as is.
Here's another thought -- but I think you'll be happy and have fun with whatever route you go: Get PP1, and an x-pipe -- you'll shed a few pounds, get a throatier sound, and make up for the few horsepower you'll gain with PP2 versus PP1 -- or you could shop for an axleback setup, and pickup a couple of HP, shed some weight, and improve the looks out back. I got my SLP Loudmouth II's directly from SLP (Roush -- Covington Performance Holdings) -- they shorten the overall length of the exhaust (they don't double back in a large can), weigh less, and how they work is cool: at low RPM gasses become turbulent and the cans muffle the sound, and at higher RPM, gasses shoot right through, and the sound becomes aggressive. I picked up mine for $375 including shipping. Pypes has a similar setup. Dollar for dollar, you have to look at the bigger picture -- 8 horsepower isn't much, and can be found in more place than one. Also, I'm sure that all the FRPP packs are pretty safe, but of the three, I'd not be surprised to learn 1 was the safest.

If CARB matters to you, consider that at some point soon, an aftermarket tune may fail your car -- if it didn't matter to me... there are better throttle body and cold air combinations -- the main advantage of the Ford packs are they are warranty safe, and CARB legal -- that notwithstanding, *most* bets are off.

Sponsored

StephanPooter83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 401A GT PP Lightning blue silver stripe
Unless you're dropping cats and or running headers does a tune even have to take in to account exhaust? I was always under the impression no.

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Unless you're dropping cats and or running headers does a tune even have to take in to account exhaust? I was always under the impression no.
Probably not. There are plenty of breather mods available that promise gains without a tune - it stands to reason that in a few cases you'd see additional gains with a tune too.

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
Just curious are the power packs like the eco boost where it takes a few hours of driving to settle in

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Just curious are the power packs like the eco boost where it takes a few hours of driving to settle in
I'm not sure what happens with the ecoboost tune -- but it seemed to me that it was pretty much all there -- except that it's a process: After the initial flash, I went for a drive and the car felt a lot stronger immediately -- then it came up with a CEL -- and as expected -- it was telling me it needed to do the crank relearn process -- with the laptop connected, and ProCal running, I revved the engine -- as soon as the tachometer needle went past 4000RPM, the CEL went off, and never returned. I did a bit more driving, and then checked my tire size, and confirmed that it had never been set correctly -- I confirmed this against GPS, and I've been done ever since.
Sponsored