Sponsored

2.3L Cylinder Head Back-order

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
What mods/tune did you have in yours?

I was just able to find a cylinder head at a dealer in Florida! Apparently their systems aren’t all linked and if they can see each other’s inventory, they aren’t inclined to help out and ship the parts to your local dealer. So, I will be paying for shipping for this Florida dealer on Monday but it beats waiting until the end of August!
Sorry never saw this. Just had the basic first bolt ons any teenager would do lol, but I bought it used that way. Started misfiring on cold starts and puffing a little smoke within a few weeks of me buying it. All stock now.
Sponsored

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
I finally got mine back........

According to them it was a bad set of NGK'S causing the issues. They replaced them with Ford motor craft plugs. Unsure as to whether they're a step colder or not but it doesn't matter. I'm driving it hard through the weekend just to make sure it doesn't go CEL again and then I'm doing a PD pro tune and I'll either go brisk denso or try NGK's again plug wise. Although I'm not super high on NGK's as this would now be my second set ordered that weren't up to par.

Hilarious though... almost 60 days at the dealer... Countless things done... No one thought to check the plugs apparently...

OP
OP
charlesj5

charlesj5

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Sorry never saw this. Just had the basic first bolt ons any teenager would do lol, but I bought it used that way. Started misfiring on cold starts and puffing a little smoke within a few weeks of me buying it. All stock now.
Sounds like a head gasket problem. Might want to check the oil if you're seeing smoke.

OP
OP
charlesj5

charlesj5

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I finally got mine back........

According to them it was a bad set of NGK'S causing the issues. They replaced them with Ford motor craft plugs. Unsure as to whether they're a step colder or not but it doesn't matter. I'm driving it hard through the weekend just to make sure it doesn't go CEL again and then I'm doing a PD pro tune and I'll either go brisk denso or try NGK's again plug wise. Although I'm not super high on NGK's as this would now be my second set ordered that weren't up to par.

Hilarious though... almost 60 days at the dealer... Countless things done... No one thought to check the plugs apparently...
Wow, I'm using the same plugs in my built setup. Assembly is finally all done but the shop is waiting on a tool from ford to do the timing. Hopefully i'll have mine back within a week or two. Its been nearly 5 months now without mine.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Sounds like a head gasket problem. Might want to check the oil if you're seeing smoke.
Haha you missed the part above where I said it was at the dealer getting a new long block already :crackup: Finally got it back a couple days ago and all is well so far. Feels terribly underpowered, but I'm going break in the engine a little before any real hard driving. It's got a 1 yr warranty, so if I'm smart I'll wait until that's over before I consider an NX2 haha.

They ended up ordering the short block and head separately and building it there.

I was originally thinking it would be an "easy" head gasket job, but when they said they were replacing the entire thing I wasn't going to argue... Haha

Sponsored

OP
OP
charlesj5

charlesj5

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Haha you missed the part above where I said it was at the dealer getting a new long block already :crackup: Finally got it back a couple days ago and all is well so far. Feels terribly underpowered, but I'm going break in the engine a little before any real hard driving. It's got a 1 yr warranty, so if I'm smart I'll wait until that's over before I consider an NX2 haha.

They ended up ordering the short block and head separately and building it there.

I was originally thinking it would be an "easy" head gasket job, but when they said they were replacing the entire thing I wasn't going to argue... Haha
Oh good to hear! Yeah if I could go back, I wouldn't of tuned or modified this ecoboost one bit.. or would of just waited to buy a 5.0. This is going to be my 3rd engine, first was head gasket, second has a rod go through the bottom.... not even 5K miles on it yet. Hard lesson learned for damn sure.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Holy crap man, that's frustrating for sure. I honestly wouldn't have bought one of these if I knew these issues were this common. I thought I did some good research before buying, but guess not. It's just a fun daily driver, but I did want to at least throw a mild tune on it without having to think twice :headbang:
Sponsored