18GT PP Wheels upgrade pulls left

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
I have the base 18 GT. I bought a set of used pp wheels and put new nitto 555 g2. staggered setup (255s and 275s).
right after the new wheels the car started to pull left very slightly. they swapped the front left and right to check if any tires has any defect. it is still pulling to left.
I will go again and probably they will swap the rears to check...

My question is can it be alignment issue? Do I need alignment?

Even if it is one of the tire or rim that is causing the pull should I get an alignment anyway to have even wear? or do you think PP Mustangs and Base Mustangs come with same alignment?
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i have heard stories of brand new cars coming with wacky alignment. i have thought about doing mine. but if it didnt pull before the wheels it shouldnt suddenly pull after. I assume you had a tire shop mount and balance the wheels?

OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
I drove 1400miles before the wheels. I am guessing I would feel it if it had it before. Probably I will go to tire shop today or tomorrow again

Hattrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2018 GT A10.
Swapped a set of PP wheels from a 15 on mine, not stock tires though, actually half worn tires at the front. No issues at all. Id jack it up and spin each tire , check for ruout , just eyeball it unless u have a disl indicator. Make sure they are seated and torqued to 150 ft lbs.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
tire pressure is the same in both front tires?
the pull occurs when driving on a road with no crown, for instance center lane of a 3 lane highway?
when you say they swapped the front, they dismounted the tires to do the swap? They are directional tires so you cannt just move the wheel/tire from the left to the right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
tire pressure is the same in both front tires?
the pull occurs when driving on a road with no crown, for instance center lane of a 3 lane highway?
when you say they swapped the front, they dismounted the tires to do the swap? They are directional tires so you cannt just move the wheel/tire from the left to the right.
no sir, none of them :frusty:
tire pressures are same
I pay attention to the road slope. left side pulls more, middle pulls left. and the with the right slope kinda goes straight depending on the angle.
They took out the tires when swapping so no directional issue. :shrug:

OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
Swapped a set of PP wheels from a 15 on mine, not stock tires though, actually half worn tires at the front. No issues at all. Id jack it up and spin each tire , check for ruout , just eyeball it unless u have a disl indicator. Make sure they are seated and torqued to 150 ft lbs.

I was spinning the tires when they were swapping the fronts. I couldnt spin the rears because of the hand brake. I will check it next time.
I was there when they were working on it and I saw them torquing too. and on the receipt it is stated they are torqued with 150

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have had a set of tires do this before. Annoying, certainly. Also were pirellis.

BlownOne

Horsepower Fiend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything with wheels
You could have radial pull with one or more of the new tires. Try swapping rears left to right and see if it pulls less or goes the opposite way.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I'd say get the alignment checked because most of the time, that's the issue. Its also a good idea to check the alignment anytime you mount new tires, so their life isn't shortened from an off-spec alignment. FWIW, factory tolerances for alignments are pretty loose, so even on a new car its not a bad idea.

If the alignment checks out, and this is truly a Nitto issue, that would certainly put me off that brand.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
rears are swapped too and still kinda pulling left. it was too windy today so I couldnt make sure.
I guess I am going for alignment...

Can alignment be a part of warranty? or did I loose that by replacing the wheels by myself in the first place? the car is at 1500miles.

and last question are the alignment of the PP mustangs and Base mustangs same?
reminder: I put PP wheels on Base

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Make sure your tires are of equal wear in the front or rear. Had the same issue with my wife’s 16 GT with performance pack. One tire was replaced under warranty, and it started pulling left under acceleration. It took us months before we realized tire wear was such that it caused this symptom, despite very low mileage, circa 5500 miles. Bought two new tires and everything was fine. Have to replace tires in pairs for sure. Sucks Ford did not replace both tires at same time when we did our claim, only the damaged tire.

OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
Make sure your tires are of equal wear in the front or rear. Had the same issue with my wife’s 16 GT with performance pack. One tire was replaced under warranty, and it started pulling left under acceleration. It took us months before we realized tire wear was such that it caused this symptom, despite very low mileage, circa 5500 miles. Bought two new tires and everything was fine. Have to replace tires in pairs for sure. Sucks Ford did not replace both tires at same time when we did our claim, only the damaged tire.

they are brand new tires so I don't think it is the issue.
Any body has any tips for the alignment? or it is just straight forward and hard to mess?
Sponsored