Sponsored

16 Mustang GT Gen 5/ Stage 2 Whipple

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Nice work, OP, looking forward to your further impressions.

I have a Roush SC on my 2016 GT, almost definitely planning to get the Whipple Stage 2 from https://www.kpmmotorsport.com.au/ here in Melbourne quite soon. Will DIY it too, also do the OPG and billet crank sprocket too, as well as do the Tremec T56 XL conversion some point after,

ā€˜Looking forward getting my hands dirty again, been a long time since playing with 351 Winston Cup Build under twin Turbonetics. Might even plan doing a Hellion TT sleeper build, no rush, though....

Appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
Beano
Honestly, donā€™t waste your money. For the changeover cost involved, you could make your existing Roush setup go just as hard, if not harder than the Whipple stage 2 setup.
Sponsored

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
FGX XR8 and 2016 Mustang GT, Both supercharged
@Burkey: Mm..yeah, I considered that too, part of the equation is that I own a Falcon FGX XR8 as well, with a 1900cc blower, but sans inter-cooler, the way they came from Ford Australia. The almost new Roush kit on my Mustang can go to the FGX, a nice and easy 700 fwhp setup for it ;)

@OP: My apologies for going off-topic!

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
Well, I just did the silly thing today and ordered the VMP Gen 3 R and twin69mm TB from Lethal Performance (thanx for all your help, Logan!)

My plan is to eventually have a nice reliable 1000whp build, I will still optimise the Roush setup to a good level on the stock motor, but at the same time, start putting some money towards components to assemble a decent short block, things like Mahle pistons, Manley I-beams, a factory forged race-prepped crank, OPGā€™s, etc etc...

It has been a while since I last build a decent TT street-racing NASCAR Winston-Cup 357CID motor making 750hp in the early/mid 90ā€™s, about time I get back building a decent setup again.

So I think the VMP would be a hard-hitter, I am after much the same as you here, plus with the BF sale, I got a very decent deal on it. Will keep you posted, Burkey.

Can you perhaps message me the email contact at MFP for those phenolic intake-spacers, please? I will use them, as well as thermal insulation anyway, to minimise heat-soak et al, much easier to do it on the engine-stand ;)

Cheers,
Beano

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I just did the silly thing today and ordered the VMP Gen 3 R and twin69mm TB from Lethal Performance (thanx for all your help, Logan!)

My plan is to eventually have a nice reliable 1000whp build, I will still optimise the Roush setup to a good level on the stock motor, but at the same time, start putting some money towards components to assemble a decent short block, things like Mahle pistons, Manley I-beams, a factory forged race-prepped crank, OPGā€™s, etc etc...

It has been a while since I last build a decent TT street-racing NASCAR Winston-Cup 357CID motor making 750hp in the early/mid 90ā€™s, about time I get back building a decent setup again.

So I think the VMP would be a hard-hitter, I am after much the same as you here, plus with the BF sale, I got a very decent deal on it. Will keep you posted, Burkey.

Can you perhaps message me the email contact at MFP for those phenolic intake-spacers, please? I will use them, as well as thermal insulation anyway, to minimise heat-soak et al, much easier to do it on the engine-stand ;)

Cheers,
Beano
Good choice!
Matt Coates is the man you want re: spacers (MFP)
Hereā€™s his contact:
[email protected]
Tell him I sent you and heā€™ll only charge you double :like:
I donā€™t have ā€œconclusiveā€ data to support the spacers but the way mine behaves now with them fitted is pretty damn good. Very happy. Worth the effort.
Iā€™m not sure how much clearance (if any) the VMP unit has to the bonnet and other parts but Iā€™m sure Matt will have clues.
You may need to lower the engine.
If so, be sure to make sure that the headers donā€™t foul on the steering rack and also double check your driveline angles. The lowering process can produce some funky results.
Best of luck with it!

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
Cheers Burkey, I will get the mechanics sorted, no dramas.

I can for sure see the benefits the phenolic spacers will bring, combined with my hood-extractors and the heat-shield under the intake, heat-soak will be greatly reduced. Combining that with the lower heat the big VMP will introduce to the charge-air, it should make for a significantly reduced intake temp.

I will contact Matt, cheers mate ;)

Br,
Beano

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I have the phenolic spacers on my '16 with a Roush/Ford racing supercharger. They definitely made a difference.

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I would expect them too, for sure. Cheers for the confirmation though :)
Sponsored