Sponsored

150 oil temp too cold for LC?

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hey guys, over this past weekend I went to visit one of my best friends. I took the Shelby and let him drive it a few miles to see what it is like, I had been running the car earlier that day but when I got to his place we left the car and went out for 5 hours or so. When we got back, I pulled the car out and let him drive. We came to a stop light early on the drive and he asked about the Launch Control toggle. I told him how it worked and he flipped it on and tried it out once. He didn't actually launch the car but he did mash the gas and hold the clutch to hear it work. It held at 4k rpm for a few seconds and then he disengaged it and kept driving normally. I realized after the fact that the cars oil temp was only up to around 150. Is that too cold for him to be revving it to 4k in LC mode? I feel like I am being paranoid but I'm a little worried that he might have damaged something since I am very careful not to give the car anything beyond around 30% throttle before it hits 180 oil temp.

Also, further down the road he got on it and took it to around 7k and the oil temp then was around 170...could anything have been hurt with that?
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
At those oil temps under those conditions you should not have anything to worry about. Just don't wind it out past 7500 RPM for extended periods until the oil gets up around 180 degrees. At 170 degrees you are pretty much in the zone, your block and head temperature should be normalized. That's what I would be most concerned about.
For my area at this time of year my oil won't go above 165 degrees. I can still wind her up occasionally, but that condition is self limiting by the traction I don't have in the cold weather.

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
I agree. Your close enough to operating temperature to not have been at high risk. But better to continue to be cautious until the real cause of oil pump failure discovered.

No one knows how well the calibration is on the engine instruments.

Might be interesting exercise to check surface temperatures during warm up on and around the engine to see how they compare to what the instrument thinks.
Sponsored