Sponsored

15 up-graders from glass roof 'Stangs

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Any S197'ers with glass roofs here on 6g who are trading in/selling their cars for the upgrade to the S550? If so, how do you guys feel about the 15's not offering a glass roof. Honestly, having sat in a new 14 two weeks ago with one - I'll say that its the only feature I can see causing me buyers regret on the S550 if they launch it the year after.

I don't care if they go DI, gain 30 horses, offer discounts, change the looks, put heated Recaros (ok, that one a little but no biggie), launch a higher performance version (as I think the S550 GT PP based on what I'm reading will meet all my needs and more) but if they do the glass roof, I will have a tad bit of :frusty: buyers remorse.

From the little I experienced it seemed really nice and well executed (I hear it has UV and IR filters), much better than convertibles I've driven - it made the polycarbonte clear roofs of the C6 Vette feel and look cheap IMHO. Seems like Ford *may* do this again (BTW, I dont care about a sunroof)!!! I realize there is a 25 pound penalty (and that too high up), but it seems to change the driving experience for the better.

Here is the link where the guy keeps us hanging on the possibility, but doesn't discount it being an option in the future. (sorry, I cant find the exact spot anymore and dont want to rewatch the whole video)
[ame]
Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Agree...There were comments from the start that there would be no sunroof or glass roof. Later there were comments made that there would be no sunroof or glass roof out of the gate which leads me to believe its in the works.

I use my sunroof almost everyday, including the winters, so its a huge deal to me. I cant stand a claustrophobic car so much so that I'm waiting until the 2016 release to see what is released in 2016.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Personally I'm the exact opposite. I've had a glass roof in the past and I didn't like it one bit. It's just dead weight in the worst place you can have and if it doesn't even open it serves no purpose at all except unwanted heating up the car and creating unwanted reflections when the sun shines.

It also adds a lot of sonic reflections so your stereo sounds worse. This btw is also the main reason why I hate leather.

But to each his own of course. If you have one and really like it then I would imagine you'd miss it on the new car.

Honesty

town crier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
135i
Friend of mine with a 2013 has a glass roof. It's supposedly a lighter option than the regular roof. Adds head room too.

I absolutely love the glass roof. Having never had one, I could do without it. But if I had one, it'd be tough to downgrade.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
I wouldn't want a full glass roof. I think Eric makes some good points about both heat and audio, but my biggest issue would be safety in a rollover. However unlikely, I would not want to be in one that rolled. I'd rather be in a convertible with a roll bar than that. At least with a sunroof, you have *some* metal up there for additional protection and you also have the ability to slide the inside cover forward so no light gets in. That's really the best of both worlds to me.

IF I were to want some kind of roof opening, that'd be the only way I would want it.

Attachments

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Friend of mine with a 2013 has a glass roof. It's supposedly a lighter option than the regular roof.
No it's heavier.

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
I have a sun/moon roof in my Jetta, and I leave it closed with the shade drawn all the time. I can't stand the glare and I certainly can't stand having it open and wind blowing in my face. I'm not a dog I suppose. More of a cat.

However, I can appreciate there are a lot of people that do like such things. It sure seems like from that wording used, they're definitely planning on a glass roof at some point in the future of the S550 lifespan. I'd think it would be hard to wait though, not knowing when that may arrive. I guess that's probably why they're not talking. :)

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

MustangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang
Friend of mine with a 2013 has a glass roof. It's supposedly a lighter option than the regular roof. Adds head room too.

I absolutely love the glass roof. Having never had one, I could do without it. But if I had one, it'd be tough to downgrade.
The glass roof is absolutely not lighter. A big glass panel is always going to be heavier than a comparable steel version. Head room is actually about the same as the steel roof but much better than you would have if there were a sunroof.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I wouldn't want a full glass roof. I think Eric makes some good points about both heat and audio, but my biggest issue would be safety in a rollover. However unlikely, I would not want to be in one that rolled. I'd rather be in a convertible with a roll bar than that. At least with a sunroof, you have *some* metal up there for additional protection and you also have the ability to slide the inside cover forward so no light gets in. That's really the best of both worlds to me.
JoeDog, I believe the glass roof has a inside cover as well (manually operated slider)

Sponsored

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
Because of the way he worded it in the above video, adding "to start" after the Glass Roof and Sun Roof questions, tells me right there that Ford has Something up it's sleeve. Especially because He said "to start" after the Sun Roof question, since the Mustang hasn't had a Sun Roof since the Early 90's, this leads me to believe they are Engineering a Retractable Glass Roof like the Lincoln MKZ. But I'm just throwing My Theory out there.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I see you live in Seattle. I wonder if that has a little to do with it. Isn't Seattle the city with the least days of sunshine per year in the US? You might change your tune if you lived in Phoenix. ;)

Sorry you don't have the option. I would pass on it but that is me.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I see you live in Seattle. I wonder if that has a little to do with it. Isn't Seattle the city with the least days of sunshine per year in the US? You might change your tune if you lived in Phoenix. ;)

Sorry you don't have the option. I would pass on it but that is me.
Yeah, the reason I want that glass roof is because we have gorgeous sunsets and its pretty overcast most of the year (except an amazing summer). The extra light is nice. It's also never hot here.

I'm convincing myself to pass on it as well - by saying its contradictory to relatively light/sporty car I want to build. Also, I do need to get in a car soon and sell my BMW as warranty is expiring and I don't want to get in something else for a short time and wait until Ford brings back the glass roof.

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
It's just dead weight in the worst place you can have and if it doesn't even open it serves no purpose at all except unwanted heating up the car and creating unwanted reflections when the sun shines.
I would disagree that it serves no useful purpose - if that were true, who would ever pay $2000 for it?!

It's about aesthetics. It lets light in. It brightens up the interior. Gives the illusion of more space. And at night you can see the stars. I personally wouldn't get one, because I would worry about eventual leaks and I'd rather spend the $2000 on a performance or tech option, but I have to say that I like being in cars with sunroofs or targa tops.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I would disagree that it serves no useful purpose - if that were true, who would ever pay $2000 for it?!

It's about aesthetics. It lets light in. It brightens up the interior. Gives the illusion of more space. And at night you can see the stars. I personally wouldn't get one, because I would worry about eventual leaks and I'd rather spend the $2000 on a performance or tech option, but I have to say that I like being in cars with sunroofs or targa tops.
Well said. A lot of folks look at objective negatives but dont consider other subjective values - which is interesting given the Mustang is really not a purchase 'of the mind' or supremely rational. I did not consider the leaks - that is good to know, given I will own this long term. (8 yrs minimum, prolly more - at least thats the plan :-)
Sponsored