Sponsored

15 Mustang GT , squeals when turning steering wheel , what is this? Video included

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Can’t really tell if that steering shaft? Is touching the header and making that sound

Sponsored

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
You think this sound could be made by the control arms ? Here’s another video. Can’t seem to get this issue solved

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
Anyone ? Lol

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
For the first time I noticed that yes I have the wheel turned but it’s squealing on bumps while the steering wheel is in the same turn position.

Would this be the front control arms?

I think I’ve seen a set of ford pp control arms for $300 on AM. Thinking of just swapping them out and hoping that the squeak stops.

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
Do you see any score marks on the LT?

Does your front struts or the back of the front tire/rim have any witness/rub marks?

Do you think it could be the control arms ? Can you look at my last post it’s a new video. Steering wheel wasn’t turning but in a turn position and it made that sound over bumps

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's hard to diagnose/tell from the vids what is making the noise. The vid of the LT's and steering shaft, it does not look like they are touching when sitting there. However when the car is moving/engine running and the steering shaft is being moved it only takes a slight bit of flex of the motor mounts or shaft to allow contact with a primary tube of the header on that side. Again, hard to say from seeing the vids.

Have you had a chance check the back sides of your wheels and also any suspension parts behind them for any witness marks/scoring?

If you can have a shop put it on a lift with the car at idle, and someone cranking the steely the wheel L or R, you might be able to see if the steering shaft rubs or touches a primary tube at all.

I know you're saying you get the noise when turning the wheel, but again there's other movement going on in the engine bay as well as vibrations when driving/steering. On the passenger side, it's a very tight fit with aftermarket headers and the A/C hardline. It's been a known problem where the A/C hard line rattles against a primary tube of the header or rattles against the strut tower. See if the A/C hardline is touching anything. If it is, either try to CAREFULLY move it in a direction away from the object OR using a zip tie try tying up the A/C line to avoid rattles.

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
It's hard to diagnose/tell from the vids what is making the noise. The vid of the LT's and steering shaft, it does not look like they are touching when sitting there. However when the car is moving/engine running and the steering shaft is being moved it only takes a slight bit of flex of the motor mounts or shaft to allow contact with a primary tube of the header on that side. Again, hard to say from seeing the vids.

Have you had a chance check the back sides of your wheels and also any suspension parts behind them for any witness marks/scoring?

If you can have a shop put it on a lift with the car at idle, and someone cranking the steely the wheel L or R, you might be able to see if the steering shaft rubs or touches a primary tube at all.

I know you're saying you get the noise when turning the wheel, but again there's other movement going on in the engine bay as well as vibrations when driving/steering. On the passenger side, it's a very tight fit with aftermarket headers and the A/C hardline. It's been a known problem where the A/C hard line rattles against a primary tube of the header or rattles against the strut tower. See if the A/C hardline is touching anything. If it is, either try to CAREFULLY move it in a direction away from the object OR using a zip tie try tying up the A/C line to avoid rattles.
I didn’t notice anything touching but I’ll check the AC hardline when I get a chance.
Do you think it’s possible that it may be the front control arms? They do have a ball joint and they’re the factory originals. They’re done PP ford ones from American muscle I was thinking of ordering.

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Sounds like a dry balljoint or tie rod end to me, or maybe one of the strut bearing plates

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Here's how you diagnose this.

You need to have another person help you.
You need to be able to get under the car, while it is sitting on its suspension so that your helper can turn the wheel back and forth, while you can view and listen to the various moving parts of the steering and suspension.

Get yourself an automotive stethoscope, so that you can pinpoint each component one at a time. (balljoint, tie rod ends, strut plates, steering shaft, spring perches, sway bar link and bushings, etc.)

Be very careful when putting this thing in your ears. Even the slightest tap or squeak will blow your fuckin' ear drums out if you aren't careful

1683047461659.png

Sponsored
OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a dry balljoint or tie rod end to me, or maybe one of the strut bearing plates
I’m hoping it’s the control arms. It makes this sound with the car in park with just moving the steering wheel and I believe in just one direction. Thank you I will pick that up !

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)

I think I found the issue! Front control arms.

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
Got it out. This must be what was causing the squeals. Look how terrible the stock one is. No bushing left and there is a lot of play on the other end.

70698862569__9F91776E-1BC4-473D-B2C8-6E65E328B83C.jpeg

IMG_1185.jpeg

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)