'15 GT/EB vs '07-11 M3/335i Coupe

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
First post here, but I've been stalking the forums here since about December. So hello! Now that that's over...

With more hard numbers rolling in for the GT/EB it's hanging in there on my next purchase list, despite my opinion of the '14 GT CS my uncle has. I'm looking for a car that will serve double duty; primarily as a daily driver for both myself and the girlfriend but also being called upon for the occasional straight line kick in the pants

Performance adding: Mustang wins.
From a performance adding standpoint the Mustang beats the BMW hands down. That 700hp Whipple kit has me salivating. Not to mention the fact that the stock block/internals and transmission can handle that kind of power. Very impressive over-engineering by Ford.

Interior feel: BMW wins.
I've been a passenger in my uncle's black on black '14 GT CS and the interior leaves a LOT to be desired. I'm 30 years old, so the the no-frills interiors just won't cut it like they did when I was in high school. The '15 interior seems to be a step in the right direction, but until I can sit in one that is just an assumption.

Performance: Tie (?)
I think the GT and M3 as well as the EB and 335i will be darn close from a performance stand point. 0-60, 5-60, 1/4mi.

Exterior looks: Tie.
Looking at the exterior, IMO, it's a push. Mustang has more aggressive looks, but the BMW has subtler sexier lines.

Peace of mind: Tie.
I do like the idea of having a car under warranty for the first time in a few years, so that's one check in the Mustang's column. Although I could purchase an extended warranty on a used BMW, so there's that.

Fun to drive: No idea.
I've never driven either (obviously), but the e92 BMW's are known for being driver's cars. Assumption goes to the BMW, but unsure.

Cost to Maintain: No idea.
Having never owned either a Mustang or BMW I don't really know what to expect from a cost-to-maintain standpoint.

Visibility: No idea.
And having never driven either of these, I have driven a friends '14 Camaro SS and the visibility is TERRIBLE. I'm not sure, from the drivers point of view, how the Mustang and BMW's will compare.

I was originally thinking about a C6 Corvette, but I have a feeling the Mustang will best or tie it in every one of my categories. So I've crossed it off my list.

What do you good people think?

Food for thought:

Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Mustang..

That BMW interior looks like crap...

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
WTF is up with that dead pedal in the Bimmer??!! It looks like a Battleship from the Battleship game with a bunch of holes to sink it.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
I've been a passenger in my uncle's black on black '14 GT CS and the interior leaves a LOT to be desired. I'm 30 years old, so the the no-frills interiors just won't cut it like they did when I was in high school. The '15 interior seems to be a step in the right direction, but until I can sit in one that is just an assumption.
Seems a bit premature of you to give the BMW the win on 'interior feel' based on your impression of a previous Mustang model. The '15 interior is vastly improved over previous years. Perhaps you should actually wait until you sit in one to declare a winner...

Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
WTF is up with that dead pedal in the Bimmer??!! It looks like a Battleship from the Battleship game with a bunch of holes to sink it.
And what's up with the fact that the dead pedal is aluminum with all of that detail, but the other pedals are just boring black rubber?

I have to agree with Brent. I think the Mustang interior looks much better than the pictured BMW interior.

OP
OP

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Seems a bit premature of you to give the BMW the win on 'interior feel' based on your impression of a previous Mustang model. The '15 interior is vastly improved over previous years. Perhaps you should actually wait until you sit in one to declare a winner...
That's fair. I'm comparing it to the 14 GT I was in and not a new 15, so it's a TBD not a BMW win. Also, I'm not so much concerned with how the interiors look in these pictures but how they feel in person.

Personally, I hate the cheap plastic chrome rings and accent pieces in the 14 GT. The tactile feel of the buttons is better in the BMWs I've been in compared to the 14 GT. The circular a/c vents drive me up the wall, while they look alright they blow air wherever they want to. The seats in the BMW are head and shoulders more comfortable in the BMWs compared to the 14 GT. The overall touch of the interior materials is superior in the BMW compared to the 14 GT.

But that's not the 15 Mustang, so I'll reserve judgment on that til when I can drive one. Have any of you driven a 335i or M3?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
First of all, that is an OLD 3-series.. Compared to an old Mustang...

I'd get the new Mustang over any BMW right now..

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Friend has a 335i. Very fast car (don't think the EB will be as fast), pulls very strongly, does have turbo lag but it's only bad on things like an AutoX. For street driving it's not really an issue. I've only driven it during an AutoX, and compared to my Z it felt heavy and slow to respond to inputs, but was still darn fast. My Z was on R compounds, while the 335 was on street tires, so that will certainly affect things.

Interior is nice but boring IMO. Some gimmicky things like the front seat-belt extenders that push the seatbelts towards the front seat passengers. I think one or both of his failed.

My friend's car was an early build, and had numerous issues with the high pressure fuel pump. He did purchase the extended warranty, and with a few months left brought the car in for a checkup. They found issues with both turbos, and some piping. Cost $12,000 to repair, but was covered. He didn't notice any performance issues, but I think he said it was making a different sound so that's why he brought it in before the warranty expired.

I do think that version of the 3 series is one of the more beautiful ones, and really love the M3 with the V8. Still, I would go with the GT over any of the 3 series models due to the naturally aspirated V8, relatively low repair costs, and more interesting interior.

I think the BMW may be better to drive hard (I am not certain of this), but even if it is marginally better when pushed hard, I think the Mustang will be more rewarding overall due to its bolder, brasher, more "fun" design aspects. The BMW seems a bit too serious.

I personally am leaning towards the 2015 Mustang, but am waiting to test drive one to see how it feels. I do not have much of an interest in the latest 3 series or M3 due to lack of a normally aspirated engine.

-T

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I have a 135i.

Don't downplay the power adding ability of the n54 (and n55 to a lesser extent). For about $1300 in parts you can be putting down 400whp. Sure it isn't 700hp (not sure if the whipple is advertising whp or bhp), but it also isn't $7000.

If you are fbo (tune, fmic, and dp), upgrade the turbos (about $3300) and you are playing with 450-460ish whp on pump gas.

Single turbo conversions are also on the way. They should be putting out some serious numbers.

This said, lack of a lsd on the non-M cars sucks. Maintenance/parts on the 335i will be much more than on the mustang.

I am looking at the GT because I am ready for a change and ready to get back to the v8 rumble. Though at my altitude (~3500) the NA engine is going to take more of a hit than a forced induction one.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Friend has a 335i. Very fast car (don't think the EB will be as fast), pulls very strongly, does have turbo lag but it's only bad on things like an AutoX. For street driving it's not really an issue. I've only driven it during an AutoX, and compared to my Z it felt heavy and slow to respond to inputs, but was still darn fast. My Z was on R compounds, while the 335 was on street tires, so that will certainly affect things.

Interior is nice but boring IMO. Some gimmicky things like the front seat-belt extenders that push the seatbelts towards the front seat passengers. I think one or both of his failed.

My friend's car was an early build, and had numerous issues with the high pressure fuel pump. He did purchase the extended warranty, and with a few months left brought the car in for a checkup. They found issues with both turbos, and some piping. Cost $12,000 to repair, but was covered. He didn't notice any performance issues, but I think he said it was making a different sound so that's why he brought it in before the warranty expired.

I do think that version of the 3 series is one of the more beautiful ones, and really love the M3 with the V8. Still, I would go with the GT over any of the 3 series models due to the naturally aspirated V8, relatively low repair costs, and more interesting interior.

I think the BMW may be better to drive hard (I am not certain of this), but even if it is marginally better when pushed hard, I think the Mustang will be more rewarding overall due to its bolder, brasher, more "fun" design aspects. The BMW seems a bit too serious.

I personally am leaning towards the 2015 Mustang, but am waiting to test drive one to see how it feels. I do not have much of an interest in the latest 3 series or M3 due to lack of a normally aspirated engine.

-T
3-series are now all sedans, the 4-series are the coupes. The old e9X is outdated.. no way would I compare it to a s550.

OP
OP

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
@Trackaholic
The e92's are definitely good looking cars. I'm glad to hear your friend was smart about the warranty work. That's exactly what I'm afraid of with buying a used, turbocharged car... expensive repairs. I love the sound of a v8, but to be honest I love the sound of a spooling turbo even more. Although I could always boost the 5.0. :thumbsup: I also know exactly what you mean about the "too serious" feel with the BMW crowd. I've been involved with a few different car communities; DSM (91 AWD Talon), Rotary (94 RX7), and GM (97 WS6 T/A). The BMW crowd definitely has a more serious/less fun air about them.

@foghat
Agreed. The n54's can definitely lay down some power and impressive gains can be had for not too much out of pocket. That's one of the reasons I love turbocharged cars. I've been lurking on the BimmerPost forums for quite some time now and the lack of single turbo n54's is really surprising. Coming from the RX7 community, my 94 RX7 was the recipient of a single turbo upgrade almost off the bat. Like Trackaholic said, the 3 series community is too serious, not enough "fun".

@w3rkn
You don't think the e9X's can compare to an s550 in what way? While they're not new, they're hardly antiquated. I think they'll compare closely with the new GT/EB from a performance standpoint. The Mustang will probably have more new tech gadgets, but honestly I couldn't care less about that. I just need an AM/FM radio and I'm good to go.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
3-series are now all sedans, the 4-series are the coupes. The old e9X is outdated.. no way would I compare it to a s550.
The OP's question was regarding the e9X, so that's what I had in mind when responding.

I do think the e9X is comparable however, but that is because I do not feel that BMW made significant upgrades with the new 3 series over the e9X version (at least from a driver's perspective).

I'd almost argue that the e9X is MORE comparable because it is less refined.

The new 3 series seems to still be a very good car, but my impression from reviews (haven't driven one) is that they are roomier, softer, and don't have quite the same level of excitement as the e9X's. I'm no longer sure if that impression is accurate, but for some reason that's what I seemed to have taken away from the various reviews.

I used to be a big fan of the 3-series during the E36 and E43 days. I remember maybe in 1997 or so going out for a test drive of an E36 M3 sedan with three co-workers (one of whom was an SCCA racer). BMW was doing a breast-cancer awareness deal, where they'd donate if you took a test drive. So, somehow they let all four of us out that M3 on our own...that was a fun test drive!

I do think the e9X M3 lost a little due to the heft it gained over the E43, but I love the sound of the engine so wasn't too bothered, and I also think it is one of the best looking cars around. The new M3 just doesn't give me the same feeling.

Eh, maybe I'll have to see if BMW will once again allow a "spirited" test drive. In any event, I'm surprisingly finding myself more interested in the Mustang over both generations of M3, and as a road course driver I'm a little surprised about that, but very excited to start seeing reviews of the Mustang's driving feel. Hopefully they did as well in those areas as they did in the looks department!

-T

Voodoo1796

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS Scion
I've only *owned* 2 BMWs, both E46s, but I have worked at a BMW dealership when younger and trying to figure out what to do with my life, and I also have a number of BMW owning friends, so I'd like to chime in if possible...

Performance adding: Mustang wins.
From a performance adding standpoint the Mustang beats the BMW hands down. That 700hp Whipple kit has me salivating. Not to mention the fact that the stock block/internals and transmission can handle that kind of power. Very impressive over-engineering by Ford.
Don't discount BMW on this. The performance aftermarket for BMWs, at least compared to MB, is much bigger than most expect. There are a few bolt on SC kits for the E9x M3s that make gobs of power, and the N54 market is about as stout as the motor. I think the edge here goes to the Mustang just because you don't have to pay a BMW tax for an exhaust, elsewise I'd say its a close tie.

Interior feel:BMW wins.
BMW gets away with their interior by calling them spartan and driver oriented, but really they aren't anything to right home about, especially compared to MB or Audi. As a BMW fan boy, I'll be the first to say that the interior with the E9X is meh, and not really worth the price commanded. My mom's old 2001 C320 had a better interior than her current 2014 X3 does, and my E46 M3's interior was on par with the interior on my dad's new 5er. The fit and feel may be higher for the BMW, but that doesn't mean it is going to be "nicer". That being said, from my experience with Mustangs, the edge goes to the BMW, if just.

Performance: Tie (?)
I think the GT and M3 as well as the EB and 335i will be darn close from a performance stand point. 0-60, 5-60, 1/4mi.
Can't argue here. The S550 EB and 5.0 and the E9x's N54/55 and S65 are four different ways to answer the same question.

Exterior looks: Tie.
Looking at the exterior, IMO, it's a push. Mustang has more aggressive looks, but the BMW has subtler sexier lines.
Exterior is always up to opinion, but I think both look good in their own way. The Mustang is moving back to looking much more sculpted and muscular, while I feel the E9x is a more curvy design. The 3ers are getting bigger, while I feel the Mustang is getting more lithe and athletic looking. The new 3er/4ers are much, much better looking. I'll agree with a tie here.

Peace of mind: Tie.
I do like the idea of having a car under warranty for the first time in a few years, so that's one check in the Mustang's column. Although I could purchase an extended warranty on a used BMW, so there's that.
Nope. Mustang hands down if for nothing else than the warranty. I love my BMWs, don't get me wrong, but the list of things that can go wrong very quickly is the same list of thngs that will bankrupt you to fix.

Found On Road Dead or "I'll push a Ford before I ever drive a Chevy" aside, for PoM Ford totally gets my vote here.

*And if you told me 10 years ago I'd be saying that, I'd laugh in your face.*

Fun to drive: No idea.
I've never driven either (obviously), but the e92 BMW's are known for being driver's cars. Assumption goes to the BMW, but unsure.
Tie. Again, its four very different ways to answer the same question.

Cost to Maintain: No idea.
Having never owned either a Mustang or BMW I don't really know what to expect from a cost-to-maintain standpoint.
See above for Peace of Mind. Mustang hands down. Even the basic maintenance on the BMW is exponentially higher. On my E46 M, DIY oil changes were still $100.00, and yesterday I heard an add on the radio full of excitement that an oil change for the new BMW started at the low low price of $80.00. And that is just on the N54. That S65 in the M isn't cheap to keep running well past 100k.

Visibility: No idea.
And having never driven either of these, I have driven a friends '14 Camaro SS and the visibility is TERRIBLE. I'm not sure, from the drivers point of view, how the Mustang and BMW's will compare.
No idea on the new Mustang, but I have had some seat time in the outgoing model, and if it is anything to go by they are close. BMW does have an excellent green house, and on my E46s I rarely had any blind spot issues. Can't give it to either one till I drive the S550 though.

I was originally thinking about a C6 Corvette, but I have a feeling the Mustang will best or tie it in every one of my categories. So I've crossed it off my list.

What do you good people think?
I think history is going to look very kindly on the C6 'Vette, but short of a Z06 I don't really see a reason to buy one over a S550 GT. Then again, I won't buy GM on principle alone, which makes me sad because I really like the C6 and C7.

Between an S550 and an E9x, my money would go to the S550 for the simple fact that it is new. When you factor in running costs and maintenance, price of aftermarket parts, the Mustang is a real performance bargain. I don't think you'd go wrong with either, just know that BMWs, much like very pretty women, don't like to get old.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
Performance adding: BMW cheap big gains with tune, Mustang bigger gains with bigger coin

Depends on how much you want to spend. With a Cobb tune on the 335 you can see huge gains for very cheap. 18-20K car

Agree but this is personal. I think Ford makes cars for a taller, bigger person than BMW. I am 5'9 175 and BMWs give me perfect driving position. My '13 fusion has horrible driving position compared to my '97 540I. If the steering while on s550 doesn't telescope lower than like on my fusion will just be out on the S550. So sick of uncomfortable drives in the Fusion. '97 540I is like perfect heaven in comparison and still smells brilliant with little interior maintenance everytime I open the door. Would hate to sink extra coin on an M235I but I can't stand the wheel and driving position on the Fusion it is JUNK

Performance: Mustang

For the buck I think the Mustang GT base/pp is impossible to beat over even a used BMW.

Exterior looks: Even.
Whatever floats someone's boat here, so subjective.

Peace of mind: MUSTANG!
BMW extended warranties are a joke/scam and the cars are $$$ to maintain

Fun to drive: Can't decide depends on your driving situation

Without driving the S550 it is impossible to know. In medium traffic I think the BMW would be more fun as its smaller.

Cost to Maintain: BMW will cost more. Break My Wallet Have $1500/yr minimum to maintain your BMW at top level (I've averaged 2K/yr on 540I). Welcome to cooling system overhauls, control arms/bushing replacements etc

Visibility: BMW

Ford consistently has obese B pillars where BMW's are slimmer. More rear window too. BMW will be much easier to drive in traffic if you weave/pass people like a lot of the other BMW jerks like me

------------

BMWs are really fun I recommend anyone own at least one, the hydraulic steering cars especially gems just for pure steering feel. Mustang can't touch that. The new BMWs have lost their steering feedback luster.

Personally I would buy a sub 80K mile 335 coupe, replace the water pump, drive it for a year or two crossing your fingers that you everything doesn't fall apart by 100K (around when maintenance starts to get bad on BMWs) then sell and then buy a GT when better deals can be had or if you can find someone selling a 1-2yr old GT with low miles.

I'll probably keep my 540I around when I get a GT. Too much fun, has a special feel to it that I doubt I can get in a Ford. Both cars are going to have their highlights.
Sponsored