Sponsored

'15 GT/EB vs '07-11 M3/335i Coupe

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I've only *owned* 2 BMWs, both E46s, but I have worked at a BMW dealership when younger and trying to figure out what to do with my life, and I also have a number of BMW owning friends, so I'd like to chime in if possible...

Don't discount BMW on this. The performance aftermarket for BMWs, at least compared to MB, is much bigger than most expect. There are a few bolt on SC kits for the E9x M3s that make gobs of power, and the N54 market is about as stout as the motor. I think the edge here goes to the Mustang just because you don't have to pay a BMW tax for an exhaust, elsewise I'd say its a close tie.

BMW gets away with their interior by calling them spartan and driver oriented, but really they aren't anything to right home about, especially compared to MB or Audi. As a BMW fan boy, I'll be the first to say that the interior with the E9X is meh, and not really worth the price commanded. My mom's old 2001 C320 had a better interior than her current 2014 X3 does, and my E46 M3's interior was on par with the interior on my dad's new 5er. The fit and feel may be higher for the BMW, but that doesn't mean it is going to be "nicer". That being said, from my experience with Mustangs, the edge goes to the BMW, if just.

Can't argue here. The S550 EB and 5.0 and the E9x's N54/55 and S65 are four different ways to answer the same question.

Exterior is always up to opinion, but I think both look good in their own way. The Mustang is moving back to looking much more sculpted and muscular, while I feel the E9x is a more curvy design. The 3ers are getting bigger, while I feel the Mustang is getting more lithe and athletic looking. The new 3er/4ers are much, much better looking. I'll agree with a tie here.

Nope. Mustang hands down if for nothing else than the warranty. I love my BMWs, don't get me wrong, but the list of things that can go wrong very quickly is the same list of thngs that will bankrupt you to fix.

Found On Road Dead or "I'll push a Ford before I ever drive a Chevy" aside, for PoM Ford totally gets my vote here.

*And if you told me 10 years ago I'd be saying that, I'd laugh in your face.*

Tie. Again, its four very different ways to answer the same question.

See above for Peace of Mind. Mustang hands down. Even the basic maintenance on the BMW is exponentially higher. On my E46 M, DIY oil changes were still $100.00, and yesterday I heard an add on the radio full of excitement that an oil change for the new BMW started at the low low price of $80.00. And that is just on the N54. That S65 in the M isn't cheap to keep running well past 100k.

No idea on the new Mustang, but I have had some seat time in the outgoing model, and if it is anything to go by they are close. BMW does have an excellent green house, and on my E46s I rarely had any blind spot issues. Can't give it to either one till I drive the S550 though.

I think history is going to look very kindly on the C6 'Vette, but short of a Z06 I don't really see a reason to buy one over a S550 GT. Then again, I won't buy GM on principle alone, which makes me sad because I really like the C6 and C7.

Between an S550 and an E9x, my money would go to the S550 for the simple fact that it is new. When you factor in running costs and maintenance, price of aftermarket parts, the Mustang is a real performance bargain. I don't think you'd go wrong with either, just know that BMWs, much like very pretty women, don't like to get old.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said^.

But I don't agree with Trackaholic's assessment of the e90 chassis. I think the s550 is superior to it in every way, & competes directly with BMW's newer technology and weight.

Today's BMW coupes are 2 & 4 series. The e9x chassis is old news.. s550 trumps it.
Sponsored

Voodoo1796

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS Scion
I agree with pretty much everything you've said^.

But I don't agree with Trackaholic's assessment of the e90 chassis. I think the s550 is superior to it in every way, & competes directly with BMW's newer technology and weight.

Today's BMW coupes are 2 & 4 series. The e9x chassis is old news.. s550 trumps it.
And I agree with that. The S550 is a better chasis than the E9x. Hell, we saw it with the Boss agianst the M3.

Ten years ago, I only wanted BMWs. Now, of all the cars on my short list, 50% of them are Fords and I'm only really interested in the 2er. What strange and wonderous times we live in.

Voodoo1796

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS Scion
The new 3 series seems to still be a very good car, but my impression from reviews (haven't driven one) is that they are roomier, softer, and don't have quite the same level of excitement as the e9X's. I'm no longer sure if that impression is accurate, but for some reason that's what I seemed to have taken away from the various reviews.

I used to be a big fan of the 3-series during the E36 and E43 days. I remember maybe in 1997 or so going out for a test drive of an E36 M3 sedan with three co-workers (one of whom was an SCCA racer).
The days of the the 3er being a light, tossable sports sedan/coupe are on the way out. I hate to be "that guy", but I really think that the E46 was the last of the true M3s. Just enough power to get you in trouble, properly tossable and compitent chasis, drivable and usable on a regular basis, and you could even work on it yourself if you wanted to.

The E9xes were great cars, but I think by going with the bigger V8 and falling into power wars with MB and Audi, they moved away with what the M3 was. It turned into the "I can't afford an M5, but I can swing payments on this..." car. Which is great for BMW and made them money, but as somone who bled the M colors, I just for the life of me could not justify buying an E9x M over a 335i.

That is what I really like about the S550 expecially. Instead of trying to chase after the Camaro by shoving a fat V8 in the car and playing HP wars, they stuck with a nice, tossable, compitent chasis and a decent selection of motors.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've racked up a solid 125,000 miles on my E92 335i over the past six years. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Summary: solid platform, best performance at 8-9/10ths. Engine is efficient, not engaging. The N54 as a block is very stout, although the fuel pump is a nightmare by itself. Open diff leaves a lot to be desired for anyone that's not afraid of turning off traction control. Extremely balanced beyond the limits of traction. Very easy to catch. Steering is damn near perfectly weighted, although the ratio is slow and there's a bit of play on-center. Brakes are great, but they feel better than they perform. Interior materials are good but wear quickly; finish goes from premium to shit around the 50-75k mark. Squeaks everywhere. Great DD seats. Cupholders are pointless. Interior storage is average at best. Back seats are actually very comfortable and practical. Great trunk for a car of its size. Gas mileage varies depending upon how much you like boost... I drive 30/70 city/hwy, and the average can go anywhere from 19mpg to 25mpg depending upon whether I drive like a grandma or get even just a little spirited.

What it needs off the bat to improve if you're thinking of getting one:
-Stiffer shocks and springs
-LSD
-Better brake pads
-Piggyback and freer flowing exhaust

Power is a cheap add-on. Tons of piggybacks, not a whole lot of flash tunes.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The days of the the 3er being a light, tossable sports sedan/coupe are on the way out. I hate to be "that guy", but I really think that the E46 was the last of the true M3s. Just enough power to get you in trouble, properly tossable and compitent chasis, drivable and usable on a regular basis, and you could even work on it yourself if you wanted to.

The E9xes were great cars, but I think by going with the bigger V8 and falling into power wars with MB and Audi, they moved away with what the M3 was. It turned into the "I can't afford an M5, but I can swing payments on this..." car. Which is great for BMW and made them money, but as somone who bled the M colors, I just for the life of me could not justify buying an E9x M over a 335i.

That is what I really like about the S550 expecially. Instead of trying to chase after the Camaro by shoving a fat V8 in the car and playing HP wars, they stuck with a nice, tossable, compitent chasis and a decent selection of motors.
The E9X and F3X 3ers weigh almost the same or slightly less than an S550, though I agree with your remarks on the E46. The E92 M3 will be a future classic - it's surprisingly light and fleet given its V8.

Sponsored

gpphantom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP AP
I've appreciated reading the seemingly unbiased posts here. While I haven't experienced the S550 yet in person, I have a GT on order; I also currently have 2 BMWs. We recently sold a third, a 2000 Z8. The S550 is its "more modest" replacement.
The BMW's are wonderful cars but very expensive to maintain. At this stage in my life, if it comes down to choosing between relative equals, I'm buying American.

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
Some interesting fanboy-ism in this thread, but honestly less than I thought there'd be.

I hate admitting it because I've always hated the prickishness of the average BMW owner, but I've LOVED my Bimmer. I never thought I'd own one, let alone like it so much. It's been the best combination of performance, chassis feel, luxury and general grown-up-ness I've ever had in a car. Granted, a 6spd ZHP with 3.46 gears in the back (factory is 3.07) is the nicest e46 you can get that's not an M, but it's still been a hell of a machine for the 4yrs I've had it. It's been an excellent all-around car, even in decently challenging weather, and it's actually been the 2nd cheapest to maintain after my old WRX (which was purchased new). My far-and-away worst car for maintenance, BTW, was my old Mustang (30yrs of aging probably had a lot to do with that).

And while I feel REALLY shallow for saying this, the cachet of driving a pristine-looking BMW is a nicer benefit than I thought it would be. Goes a long way in a professional setting.

Look, I LOVE Mustangs, but if a GT and an M4 were the same price, it wouldn't be a difficult choice for me. The reason my next new car will be some flavor of Mustang and not a 435i coupe or M4 or even an M235i is because the Mustang will be $10-25k cheaper and I have better places to put that money than into a car.

Voodoo1796

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS Scion
Granted, a 6spd ZHP with 3.46 gears in the back (factory is 3.07) is the nicest e46 you can get that's not an M, but it's still been a hell of a machine for the 4yrs I've had it. It's been an excellent all-around car, even in decently challenging weather, and it's actually been the 2nd cheapest to maintain after my old WRX
The only thing I'd say here is that hte E46 was really the last of the BMWs you could work on yourself without needing anything rediculously special. The 335i wasn't the worst to work on, but none of the people I know with E9x Ms have been doing to much DIY. I've always had this image in my head that with the domestic performance cars, if all else fails you can just hit it with a hammer. But I've only had imports, so I could be wrong (though that method did work on my Z...).

I could do my own valve adjustments on my M3, but when the valves on my wife's X3 3.0si went to shit (which BMW claimed, at 50k, was just a wear/tear issue and didn't get warrenty coverage) we couldn't find a single independent shop to touch it because none of them had the tools needed.

I love me some ZHP though. I often feel that as much as I wanted the M3 (and I did indeed love the M3), I would have been better served with a ZHP. The only problem is everyone with a marginally clean 6 speed wanted more than M money at the time.

Voodoo1796

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS Scion
We recently sold a third, a 2000 Z8.
When I worked at the BMW dealership, I got to take the owners Z8 out for a few quick trips. Wasn't totally impressed by the performance, but driving car like that made you feel like a boss...

Darkrune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO EB
Cost to Maintain: BMW will cost more. Break My Wallet Have $1500/yr minimum to maintain your BMW at top level (I've averaged 2K/yr on 540I). Welcome to cooling system overhauls, control arms/bushing replacements etc
Don't forget anything plastic, requires glue, or has ball bearings. I owned Bimmers until I was about 23. when they went from E35 to the next rounder models, I quit that sister quick.
Sponsored