10R80 Manual Shift from Stop

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I've been autocrossing my 10R80 Mustang a few times and I keep having issues at the start. In "s" and "track" mode, half the time, one click of the paddle shift puts me in 2nd gear. Other times, it just "activates" manual shift mode, like in the video below.

Does anyone know how to make sure one click of the paddle shifter will get me into 2nd gear, 100% of the time?
It's had me both bouncing off the rev limiter and going 1st straight to 3rd guessing which it's going to do on the track where I don't have time to leisurely wait and see what it decides to do.

You can see here when the paddle indicators on the dash flash, that's from me hitting the paddle shifter. Ideally, that would be a shift into 2nd gear every time.

This didn't catch any traction when posted elsewhere, maybe this is a better spot for it.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Hard to tell what is going on from your video. I do not have a 10 speed. I do have a 6r80. When I'm at a stop in S mode if I pull the + paddle it goes into second and will not change till I move a paddle. If I'm moving the gear indicator will flash. It only takes a slight movement to flash the indicator. Be sure you are not moving.

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Here's the sequence of events: I was driving through the parking lot in manual mode, shifted to 2, back to 1, and stopped. Then when I started moving again, I hit the + paddle wanting to go into 2nd: this is when the paddle shift indicators flashed. I then had to hit the + paddle a second time to change into 2nd gear.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That is normal.

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
That is normal.
Is there no way to go straight into 2nd (with one click of the paddle instead of two) such as when I'm launching the car at an autocross? That's really what I'm trying to figure out.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You need to be fully stopped, then it will go into 2nd with one pull of the + paddle.

At least that is how mine works

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
So every time I fully stop, I need to click the + paddle once to turn manual shifting back on. I don't like it, but at least it is something repeatable.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
No it will remain manual.

The TCU needs to see 0 MPH to override first gear. Once moving it needs to see a certain MPH to allow the switch to second or 3rd ect....

You may be able to find a tuner who can override this, but I have had no luck with tuners getting the trans the way I want it. What I'm looking for is it to act like it has a vacuum modulator, light throttle soft shift, heavy throttle hard crisp firm shift. I also want the paddles to be instant, like a sequential box.
Sponsored