Auto shift boot.

cbass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
God
Vehicle(s)
2015 400a A6
I got annoyed at the plastic next to the shift boot inside the chrome ring.

Ordered manual boot, PN# GR3Z-7277-DA

Should have taken pictures of the process, but it is easy, and should be self explanatory. Boot looks a little funny in sport, it isn't pulled tight, but the seam is definitely pulled tighter than the pleather around it. I hope some give is found to make it not look like a bat wing from the movie Waiting.

Watch any of the 200 videos on how to remove the boot and surround from youtube. The boot pulls off the shifter with surprisingly little effort. I put the whole, unmolested boot assembly in my pile of stock parts. The plastic trim ring is nice, but not necessary if you're comfortable being a little bougie on your mods.

Rip the reverse lockout collar off the manual boot. I used a vice to break it and it came off in two pieces. Turn the boot inside out. Put the shift knob inside, so the bottom pokes out, make sure it's oriented the right way. I used two small zip ties (as this was a 5 minute mod to prove concept) to hold the boot onto the knob. Doing it again, I would grab some single strand 18ish gauge wire and twist it to make it tight. Turn the boot back over, install the knob onto the shaft and put the screws in. Tucked the wire for the gear indicator into the tunnel, and slide the trim ring down and snap it in place.

Pictures of it in each position:

Park:
27242676534_ffd44c020c_b.jpg

Reverse:
27820460806_3745fa041e_b.jpg

Neutral:
27242675604_cba781463f_b.jpg

Drive:
27753442902_7a22871861_b.jpg

Sport:
27778857061_c312cdb7ac_b.jpg
Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
nice! Ive been thinking about doing this

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
nice! Ive been thinking about doing this
Same here. I wondered if I could retain the auto boot, but just pull it loose from the two plastic sides, and then re-glue it to the trim ring. Would that work?

Source for the manual boot?

OP
OP

cbass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
God
Vehicle(s)
2015 400a A6
I got mine from Quirk. Just google the PN to pull up places selling it.

Don't bother trying to disassemble your factory trim and boot, it won't work well. The auto boot isn't wide enough, and the trim pieces are all clipped together and full of electronics. You can use it if you put a different boot in, but I wanted to retain the cheap looking factory pleather. I also have the 100% unmolested stock one in the garage with my other original parts from my car, should I ever need to return the car to a stock state.

Reactions: GTP

Sponsored

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
Nice, thanks for posting, I was thinking about this route for the trim whenever I get around to doing a JPM shift boot.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I got mine from Quirk. Just google the PN to pull up places selling it.

Don't bother trying to disassemble your factory trim and boot, it won't work well. The auto boot isn't wide enough, and the trim pieces are all clipped together and full of electronics. You can use it if you put a different boot in, but I wanted to retain the cheap looking factory pleather. I also have the 100% unmolested stock one in the garage with my other original parts from my car, should I ever need to return the car to a stock state.
Thanks for the tip. Now I don't have to find out for myself.

I ordered the WM Garage shift lever, so this would be the right time to combine the manual boot.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
it looks great

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Jut got mine for my WM shifter.

Shouldve come from the factory this way. saved costs using the same boot and the indicators on the shifter are totally useless as they dont indicate the gear or light up- that's all on the dash display anyway.

Sponsored

magnetic5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vadim
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Jut got mine for my WM shifter.

Shouldve come from the factory this way. saved costs using the same boot and the indicators on the shifter are totally useless as they dont indicate the gear or light up- that's all on the dash display anyway.
I did the same thing, ordered one of these for my WM shifter as well :cheers:

Pintoracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
15 V6 051A Deep Impact Blue Reverse sensors
I did the same thing, ordered one of these for my WM shifter as well :cheers:
Ditto!!! I figured I'm going to have it off anyway. May as well put the manual boot on there for WM shifter!!!!

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I love this idea I t looks great and thanks for the idea I will definitely be doing this. I also have a brand new, never installed manual boot with bezel that I will be listing up for sale tomorrow.

Thank for the idea

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Actually I wished the lettering on the shifter actually lights up showing which gear you are in.
Sponsored