Sponsored

Brake dust

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350R
So I'm pretty crazy about keeping my car clean. My car is white and the brake dust is pretty much instantly down the side of the car on a very short drive. I was looking at the car and was thinking maybe a block off piece of plastic or something mounted to cover the rear vents in the front wheel well would stop the dust from going through the side vent and down the car. Was thinking this could be good for cruising around town. They could be removed for spirited and track driving. But if your just running down to a car meet they could help with the cleanliness of the car. Any thoughts. Anyone else get annoyed at the dust. Also I do clean it with a quick detailer after a drive for the brake dust. I spray it on the car and wipe gently with microfiber. Does anyone think that will hurt the finish wiping away the brake dust that way. It always has a nice coat of wax on it to. The quick detailer is for between drive.
Sponsored

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
nano coat the paint, wheels and calipers for east cleaning

OP
OP

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350R
I would like to take it to get gas with having to wipe it down afterwards. Im being anal with being clean. Its not black after a quick trip.

Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I went through that with my Boss. Switched to Hawk ceramic pads. Dust problem solved. Brakes seemed fine. Then the 2015's came out. The first thing I noticed when I test drove a 2015 PP GT was how aggressive the brakes felt. That prompted me to switch to Hawk 5.0 Boss pads. Low dust but geared twoard performance. The difference in normal driving and autocross as compared to the ceramics was insignificant. Then I got the GT350. The braking package on this car is so amazing I am not going to mess with it until someone demonstrates that there are brake pads that ameliorate the dust issue without degrading the performance.

Syberspace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Funny. I just read an article as to why the wheels are black on this car. Because customers would hate the brake dust.
Sure, it sucks, but to get really good braking performance you will have dust. Ceramic and other low dust pads will not have to initial bite and torque like the ones on the car.
I have the exact same issue with my M3. If you want no dust, you will compromise performance. If that's not an issue, have at it.

jonesd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
nano coat the paint, wheels and calipers for east cleaning
Agreed, I Did this on my last car and it made a huge difference.

Already planning on getting cquartz finest as soon as I get my car.

RoushDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Track Pack with OTT #1794
I bought a set of charcoal Shelby Super Snake wheels for daily driving and plan to get a set of brake pads that are not as dusty to use when I put these wheels on.
When I go to the track, I use the stock black wheels and will use the OEM brakes.
Just haven't found an aftermarket set of brake pads yet. Hoping Hawk will make them soon.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I went through that with my Boss. Switched to Hawk ceramic pads. Dust problem solved. Brakes seemed fine. Then the 2015's came out. The first thing I noticed when I test drove a 2015 PP GT was how aggressive the brakes felt. That prompted me to switch to Hawk 5.0 Boss pads. Low dust but geared twoard performance. The difference in normal driving and autocross as compared to the ceramics was insignificant. Then I got the GT350. The braking package on this car is so amazing I am not going to mess with it until someone demonstrates that there are brake pads that ameliorate the dust issue without degrading the performance.
GLoc makes better pads but I cant comment on the brake dust yet.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Is it possible they put different brake pads on the 2017's? I have only driven about 100 miles on this one I just bought but my 2016 I traded for this one at 100 miles had brake dust all over the wheels and so far I see absolutely none on these wheels. Mine is a early 2017 convenience pkg. GT 350 built later last summer. Maybe it will just take a few more miles, but it sure would be nice if they fixed that.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Is it possible they put different brake pads on the 2017's? I have only driven about 100 miles on this one I just bought but my 2016 I traded for this one at 100 miles had brake dust all over the wheels and so far I see absolutely none on these wheels. Mine is a early 2017 convenience pkg. GT 350 built later last summer. Maybe it will just take a few more miles, but it sure would be nice if they fixed that.

Mines gets dusty too and it was build 10/7/16

stang302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Are you guys bedding in your brakes?
Might be a dumb question, but if you're only changing the pads, and sticking with the same stock pads, there's no need to bed them in again if you already did it with the first set of pads, right?
Sponsored