Sponsored

Need help. Mgw or blowfish bracket?

r1lovin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
Need help please! Blowfish bracket or mgw shifter? Is it worth the extra cash for mgw? Im lost with this stuff, i just want something with smoother more confident shifts. 2nd to 3rd being the big one. Thanks guys.
Sponsored

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
I went MGW absolutely 0 Complaints. Although I could still feel the imperfections in the transmission (scratchiness) the feel of the MGW is far superior to the factory one.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Other threads have talked about the blowfish causing NVH.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I just ordered a Barton. Can't wait to try it out.

I tried the steeda bushing insert, shifting was the same and ridiculous NVH.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Other threads have talked about the blowfish causing NVH.
It is good to know that going in ... and also good to know there are few "free lunches" in this game. The Blowfish does transmit a lot more tranny feel into the shift knob because you are now directly connected to the transmission (just like the MGW or the new directly connected Barton). The Mustang reverse lockout mechanism is plastic and has some play in it. At certain RPMs you can hear a slight buzzing. Steeda makes a fix but now you're getting close to MGW prices.

But the shifting 1/2, 2/3 is much better with the BF in my opinion. The shift linkage is lined up perfectly with the tranny vs the OEMs sloppy bushing and semi-remote design.

Sponsored

import111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
It is good to know that going in ... and also good to know there are few "free lunches" in this game. The Blowfish does transmit a lot more tranny feel into the shift knob because you are now directly connected to the transmission (just like the MGW or the new directly connected Barton). The Mustang reverse lockout mechanism is plastic and has some play in it. At certain RPMs you can hear a slight buzzing. Steeda makes a fix but now you're getting close to MGW prices.

But the shifting 1/2, 2/3 is much better with the BF in my opinion. The shift linkage is lined up perfectly with the tranny vs the OEMs sloppy bushing and semi-remote design.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I have the Blowfish bracket and I agree 100%.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I would do the mgw. I have a whipple, suspension and several other mods and the mgw is still my favorite mod I've done.

OP
OP
r1lovin

r1lovin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
I would do the mgw. I have a whipple, suspension and several other mods and the mgw is still my favorite mod I've done.
I think im going to bite the bullet and do mgw. Im sure ill love it.

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
Brackets are a bandaid in my opinion, they will help but not solve your problem. If you are short on mod money and want a temp fix until you can do a shifter, there isn't anything wrong with that. Have you seen the Full tilt boogie bracket? Looks like it would do a great job and is on sale for $70 right now.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Get the MGW...my favorite mod. Huge difference in precision and confidence with shifting. You will love it

Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
As MtnBiker has said the Bluefish Bracket causes the lockout collar to start rattling after 3k RPM. I had the Bluefish on my car for a few thousand miles and it definitely helped with the 2-3 shift. Never had a lockout. I switched out to the Steeda shifter because I did not like the sloppiness of the stock shifter and the rattling caused by the lockout collar. Now I have the MGW sitting in my closet, planning on installing it soon.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Brackets are a bandaid in my opinion, they will help but not solve your problem. If you are short on mod money and want a temp fix until you can do a shifter, there isn't anything wrong with that. Have you seen the Full tilt boogie bracket? Looks like it would do a great job and is on sale for $70 right now.
The BF is a hell of a bandaid though. Rarely have I seen a product so well engineered and rugged. Staggeringly well made piece and does what they say it does. 20 minute install on a lift and easy to take off if your MT-82 takes a dump and you're paranoid about mods and warranties.

I've had the Mustang on some amazing roads and missed some shifts that I shouldn't have. The OEM shift box is nice and easy for a daily but from what I hear the MGW will never let you forget what gear you're in. Maybe a little notchy for a daily, which some say gets better over time, but an amazing piece of equipment by all accounts.
Sponsored