HELP MANDERS Fix His Clunk

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
Sounds like a dodgy shock? Have you got a spare shock to try it? If it starts n continues then usually it's due to the shock?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a dodgy shock? Have you got a spare shock to try it? If it starts n continues then usually it's due to the shock?
It's not the shock. It's been tested. Shocks make a metal on metal ticking sound, this is the same sound as like a rubber mallet falling on the floor...

Pop over you can have a listen ;)!

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I would pop over but I'm in Padstow atm, and my pony is at the Ford garage :kickrock:

We still need to do that meet up in the back roads of Lichfield haha :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I would pop over but I'm in Padstow atm, and my pony is at the Ford garage :kickrock:

We still need to do that meet up in the back roads of Lichfield haha :thumbsup:
Speaking of which, may 27th Mustangs Unleashed has a meet up at a sheffield hangar - it's a private driving training school and they've given us permission to do "whatever we want" with the cars there, that includes donuts, burnouts, skids etc.

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Speaking of which, may 27th Mustangs Unleashed has a meet up at a sheffield hangar - it's a private driving training school and they've given us permission to do "whatever we want" with the cars there, that includes donuts, burnouts, skids etc.
I'll try to get permission off the wife :love: do you have to register?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't got FB so I can't see the links
Hangar Hangout

Sunday 27th May - 1pm onwards (til 5pm latest)
ÂŁ3 per car
Norton Aerodrome, Lightwood Lane, Sheffield S8 8BG

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
right so adjusting the exhaust didn't solve it.

and the bump stops don't get added to the pedders. They don't have one. instructions don't indicate needing it, stock one doesn't fit. etc.

I had a brainwave - maybe to try softening the coilovers "maybe" that'll help. I've changed from 5 from hard (25 from soft), to 12 from hard (18 from soft). I left the house and the road outside usually makes the car clunk - It didn't. Got to another road on my daily route and clunks/thuds came back - woopie.
Now I did a bit of digging, and apparently adjusting the soft/hardness takes a few miles to bed in, so i'll do my daily drive tomorrow, and on the way home tomorrow if it's still there i'll assume it's not fixed.

Is there anyway to test if the driveshaft/halfshaft is loose in the diff or something? I know it sounds a bit more major - but if it's loose in the diff could that be what's clunking?

The other bits on my list are:
Put the car on a suspension tester
Remove the steeda subframe/irs bushing kit out. See if it's that causing clunks. If it is replace with BMR-cb005
Remove coilovers and replace with standard (doubt it's this as pedders have checked them already)
If neither of these; double check bushings (I say double, 50th check).

If it's none of this, i'll be lost for things to do - the ford master tech said maybe trying to replace IRS Bolts with longer bolts so more thread catches as he thinks when lowering it, it's got less thread to grip.

I hate cars. Don't mod a car guys, it's a lie. :lol:

Last edited:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
right so adjusting the exhaust didn't solve it.

and the bump stops don't get added to the pedders. They don't have one. instructions don't indicate needing it, stock one doesn't fit. etc.

I had a brainwave - maybe to try softening the coilovers "maybe" that'll help. I've changed from 5 from hard (25 from soft), to 12 from hard (18 from soft). I left the house and the road outside usually makes the car clunk - It didn't. Got to another road on my daily route and clunks/thuds came back - woopie.
Now I did a bit of digging, and apparently adjusting the soft/hardness takes a few miles to bed in, so i'll do my daily drive tomorrow, and on the way home tomorrow if it's still there i'll assume it's not fixed.

Is there anyway to test if the driveshaft/halfshaft is loose in the diff or something? I know it sounds a bit more major - but if it's loose in the diff could that be what's clunking?

The other bits on my list are:
Put the car on a suspension tester
Remove the steeda subframe/irs bushing kit out. See if it's that causing clunks. If it is replace with BMR-cb005
Remove coilovers and replace with standard (doubt it's this as pedders have checked them already)
If neither of these; double check bushings (I say double, 50th check).

If it's none of this, i'll be lost for things to do - the ford master tech said maybe trying to replace IRS Bolts with longer bolts so more thread catches as he thinks when lowering it, it's got less thread to grip.

I hate cars. Don't mod a car guys, it's a lie. :lol:

Damper changes on rebound or compression are instant. That is the whole reason for adjustable dampers, changes are instant and need to be instant when racing.

You need to rule out parts.

As such remove the rear dampers and refit the stock dampers, it only takes 10-15 mins per side and is very easy to do, I am assuming your clunk is 100% coming from the rear?

If swap back in the stock dampers to rule out damper issue.

If that fails then start removing other modifications in the rear one at a time, you will eventually find your issue or spot an issue whilst working on the car.

Sponsored

Scooby67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, shadow black.
Well I had my pedders coliovers fitted on Wednesday and the clunk has disappeared, I'm just hoping it doesn't come back! I was previously running steeda springs and even after having the shock and drop link replaced the noise still remained so god knows what the cause was! Hopefully you get yours sorted steve!

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Well I had my pedders coliovers fitted on Wednesday and the clunk has disappeared, I'm just hoping it doesn't come back! I was previously running steeda springs and even after having the shock and drop link replaced the noise still remained so god knows what the cause was! Hopefully you get yours sorted steve!
Maybe it is the spring being slightly out of its perch ?

Did your clunk sound like mine?

Scooby67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, shadow black.
Maybe it is the spring being slightly out of its perch ?

Did your clunk sound like mine?
The guys at Modurstang took the spring out and changed the shock which cured it for a couple of days but then it came back, maybe the spring was damaged i'm not sure, I will have a good look at them over the weekend. They couldn't find anything wrong with the suspension or anything else on the car so it was a really odd one! No mate mine sounded more metallic but it did make a thud type noise when going over speed bumps.

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The guys at Modurstang took the spring out and changed the shock which cured it for a couple of days but then it came back, maybe the spring was damaged i'm not sure, I will have a good look at them over the weekend. They couldn't find anything wrong with the suspension or anything else on the car so it was a really odd one! No mate mine sounded more metallic but it did make a thud type noise when going over speed bumps.
I'm gonna guess maybe it's the spring... Fucking hate shuffling springs around. :eyebulge:

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
To keep everyone in the loop of this. Gibbo's M3 track car started to clunk like mine, being a bit sharper with suspension than I am, he believed it to be the Swaybar endlinks. He advised me to remove one of the swaybar connectors and see if it still clunked. My car is currently with ford, so i've not been able to - however will be doing this once i get the car back.

Gibbo tested this method on his, and the clunk had gone. (Brilliant!), so i'll be doing the same tomorrow with my rears to see if the clunk goes.

If the clunk does go i'll be right in the market for Rear adjustable end links. I'm probably going to stick with Steeda ( [MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION] :) ) unless anyone can advise me otherwise?

My belief will be, if the stock links have gone to shit, is that everyones eventually will who're on coilovers and i've just accelerated the process by being that shit of a driver (or it's all them mad skidz and huge power going through the car :lol: im joking). And that the fronts are "ok" as they're shorter, but the rears are torted too much with how low the car is.

We will see, i'll keep you all posted, hopefully this clunking saga can finally be put to bed. (And everyones about to go out and buy sway bar links if it is the case to prevent this shit occuring!)
Sponsored