Mustang GT vs Ecoboost

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I'm old, and love the sound along with everything else that goes with owning the GT. Although I'm quite sure if I had weaned myself on a turbocharged 4 bangers I would feel the same way. I never thought I would see the power/torque that companies are getting out of these little motors. Actually more of both than my '06 GT 4.6L.

But, I would still sound better getting there. :cheers: :D
Sponsored

Last edited:

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Drove an EB before buying a GT. It was a nice ride, loved the handling. Power was not where I wanted to be though. Wish ford would make a model with a 3.0 twin turbo, close to the same hp as the 5.0, possibly more tq, and should be considerably lighter.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Maybe just maybe... Everyone one doesn't believe its gotta be a V8. Maybe some people love the Eco boost for how it was designed by Ford.

A fun well mannered street car with good performance and looks. So the 5.0 is 1 second faster in quarter mile. So you can make it sound loud and proud. Unless you go to the dragstrip every weekend and hang out at cruise ins doesn't make a whole lot of differences. V-8s are fine but the people that purchased Eco boost had a choice, they choose an Eco boost for what it is, not what it isn't.

Everyone thinks we want them to perform like a GT, well maybe all you GT owners want your cars to perform like Shelby's

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Maybe just maybe... Everyone one doesn't believe its gotta be a V8. Maybe some people love the Eco boost for how it was designed by Ford.

A fun well mannered street car with good performance and looks. So the 5.0 is 1 second faster in quarter mile. So you can make it sound loud and proud. Unless you go to the dragstrip every weekend and hang out at cruise ins doesn't make a whole lot of differences. V-8s are fine but the people that purchased Eco boost had a choice, they choose an Eco boost for what it is, not what it isn't.

Everyone thinks we want them to perform like a GT, well maybe all you GT owners want your cars to perform like Shelby's
I told ya not to buy into this.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The Eco Boost is seen as Ford's Boxter, I've lost count of how many people I've said to that the Mustang also comes in a 2.3 turbo and got the response "Why would you want that ?"

I admittedly didn't even consider the Eco Boost, my other consideration was a Nissan GTR, so I have no reference for discussing the pros and cons of each, so it would be good to know other peoples opinions.

It would also be interesting to see who evaluated both and chose the Eco Boost rather than choosing it because they couldn't afford/insure/run the GT.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Here is a question for you, had the ecoboost and GT been the same price...which would you have purchased.

People don't choose the EB because they want a slower car, they choose it because it's cheaper. There is no fault in that, it just is what it is. They choose a compromise in performance to be able to attain the sexy looks of the mustang.

Interestingly enough, one of the faults of the mustang is that the EB looks too much like the GT...go figure.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
Oh Lord, another “my toy is better than yours” thread by yet another insecure GT owner. Won’t be long before someone starts a “my dad can beat up your dad” thread.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The base EB does not compare to the EB w/PP.

The rental car companies don’t seem to have EB PP’s in their line up... so there’s a vast difference between a rental EB and an EB w/PP.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Drove an EB before buying a GT. It was a nice ride, loved the handling. Power was not where I wanted to be though. Wish ford would make a model with a 3.0 twin turbo, close to the same hp as the 5.0, possibly more tq, and should be considerably lighter.
Oh how I wish they would do the twin turbo v6 in the mustang. They did it in the Raptor. Unfortunately it just will not fly with the V8 muscle crowd which lets be honest is a large crowd. And the v8's do sound great. Hard to imagine an American Muscle car show with just V6 turbo mustangs. But the low RPM torque coupled with high HP would really make a VERY capable all around sports car that I feel could compete with anything out there. Daily driver and on the track. For now the GT in stock form isn't exciting enough for me because of the lack of bottom end pull. Price for price no doubt I would have a GT because that's what I went shopping for but for 10000 more then Ecoboost it just wasn't exciting enough and the ecoboost with an intercooler and 93 octane surprised me, a lot. Yep, it does suck to meet up with car guys and mention "it's the ecoboost". One day I do hope to get at least a ride in a tuned GT to see if the tune will get the power I was expecting. Because my Lito tuned 05 GT with a few mods pulls better down low then the new stock GT's.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Oh how I wish they would do the twin turbo v6 in the mustang. They did it in the Raptor. Unfortunately it just will not fly with the V8 muscle crowd which lets be honest is a large crowd. And the v8's do sound great. Hard to imagine an American Muscle car show with just V6 turbo mustangs. But the low RPM torque coupled with high HP would really make a VERY capable all around sports car that I feel could compete with anything out there. Daily driver and on the track. For now the GT in stock form isn't exciting enough for me because of the lack of bottom end pull. Price for price no doubt I would have a GT because that's what I went shopping for but for 10000 more then Ecoboost it just wasn't exciting enough and the ecoboost with an intercooler and 93 octane surprised me, a lot. Yep, it does suck to meet up with car guys and mention "it's the ecoboost". One day I do hope to get at least a ride in a tuned GT to see if the tune will get the power I was expecting. Because my Lito tuned 05 GT with a few mods pulls better down low then the new stock GT's.
I never understood this train of thought. There is plenty of power and torque to be had in the GT, and it has a wider powerband than the LT1 camaro. You just have to use it. If you’re cruising at 2000RPM, downshift for Petes sake. It’s just that easy.

I personally don’t know of anyone who starts a race at 750 RPM, or races with part throttle.

Here is a dyno from a car with no low end torque (a Mclaren 720s). Do you think they bitch and moan that they have to get above 3000 rpm before they can feel the pull?

mclaren-720s-dyno-graph.jpg

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Oh but I do. slowbluebeast part throttle races all the time.
I've never heard that guy say anything else on the forum. Poor guy, wonder what happened to him

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Oh but I do. slowbluebeast part throttle races all the time.
Oh I figured this would go down this road again. I have no problem with anyone who wants to down shift and rev to the moon to get awesome power. I just don't want to drive like that anymore BECAUSE I don't race anymore. I like to ease on the throttle and just go. Those dyno charts are at full throttle. I would prefer those numbers at part throttle because I have an automatic and don't want it to freaking down shift 3 gears and rev to 5000 or 6000 rpm everytime I want to have a little fun. The manuals were better because I could give lots of throttle at low rpm and get ok power down low though. I would like to have the same amount of pull in say 5th gear at 2500 rpm then 3rd gear at 5000. This is something FI cars can do. If you guys don't like or want that, that's fine, just don't understand why need to be so critical of someone who likes to drive sporty without causing all kinds of attention by screaming a motor around town to have fun with it.

When I did roadrace, the coyote motor type of power is exactly what I liked for the road courses. Just not as much fun on the street. It really only allows me fun in 2 gears. 3rd thru 6th will never see red line where the power is. Where for ME, I love to have low RPM pull to still enjoy the higher gears. I come from old school (fox) v8's and lately turbo cars so that's what I have grown to like. Short shift grunt. In stock form, the GT didn't do it for me as a daily driver. And yes the ecoboost is very boring when I do go flat out with it and feel that power fall off.

AND I NEVER EVER said anything about racing at part throttle. It's the fact I don't RACE on the street.
Sponsored