Sponsored

oil temperature gauge

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I have a 2017 GT PP
took the car on the track for the first time yesterday and the oil temp ( the virtual gauge in the left screen) was getting very close to yellow
Do any of you have a scale/ temperature numbers for this gauge?????
Pretty stupid the have a gauge with no numbers
thanks
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Just wanted to chime in and agree that it's stupid to not have numbers. They have the data to put the needle in the colored arcs, so it should be easy to give us some numbers. A little software tweak is all it will take. Come on, Ford, y'all know it's the right thing to do!

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Keep in mind that oem electrical gages are generally idiot gages that don't really move linearly with what is being indicated. For true numbers you need a quality mechanical gage.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I have a 2017 GT PP
took the car on the track for the first time yesterday and the oil temp ( the virtual gauge in the left screen) was getting very close to yellow
thanks
From the 18 FSM but as I recall the 15 was the same:

Engine Oil Temperature (Analog IPC )

The engine oil temperature gauge is a virtual gauge with an additional numeric display that is selected through the message center. For the virtual gauge display navigation, see the message center menu options in the Owner's Literature. The engine oil temperature gauge display ranges as follows:

38-60° C (100-140° F) (low)
61-137° C (142-279° F) (normal)
138-146° C (279-295° F) (warm)
147-160° C (297-320° F) (hot)
The IPC receives the oil temperature warning indicator message from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 . The GWM receives the oil temperature warning indicator message from the PCM over the HS-CAN1 .

I don't know where the oil temp is measured or even if it is measured directly vs calculated from some other temperature.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
The engine oil temp is a calculated value, there is no sensor.

Sponsored

OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
From the 18 FSM but as I recall the 15 was the same:

Engine Oil Temperature (Analog IPC )

The engine oil temperature gauge is a virtual gauge with an additional numeric display that is selected through the message center. For the virtual gauge display navigation, see the message center menu options in the Owner's Literature. The engine oil temperature gauge display ranges as follows:

38-60° C (100-140° F) (low)
61-137° C (142-279° F) (normal)
138-146° C (279-295° F) (warm)
147-160° C (297-320° F) (hot)
The IPC receives the oil temperature warning indicator message from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 . The GWM receives the oil temperature warning indicator message from the PCM over the HS-CAN1 .

I don't know where the oil temp is measured or even if it is measured directly vs calculated from some other temperature.
Thanks you very much. it is exactly what i was looking for
Since the gauge has four colors:
White = low
green = normal
yellow = warm
red = hot

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
The engine oil temp is a calculated value, there is no sensor.
Thanks. I can stop trying to find one in the FSM and online parts site. Ditto for coolant temp.

Are both calculated from Cylinder Head Temp (CHT)?

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Change the center PP dual gauge module to a GT350 one. 2nd gauge is oil temp instead of useless vacuum. Plug and play, no programming or mods required. Gauge is smart enough i guess. FR3Z-10849-E. Got this idea from Brevees.

20180413_193414_resized(1).jpg

OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Change the center PP dual gauge module to a GT350 one. 2nd gauge is oil temp instead of useless vacuum. Plug and play, no programming or mods required. Gauge is smart enough i guess. FR3Z-10849-E. Got this idea from Brevees.

20180413_193414_resized(1).jpg
Thought about doing that but a couple of dowside

Location, those gauges are not in the "line-of-sight"

Cost, with the core charge and shipping it's $600

do you track your car ?
If yes what's your oil temperature?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Not sure if that is a true reading or just derived...

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have a 2017 GT PP
Not really. People would obsess over temperature numbers being just a little over a number that sounded "too hot" to them.

A general indication here is good enough for most all driving purposes, short of tracking the car on a hot day (those people would be expected to understand what's going on better than most).

Norm

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Thought about doing that but a couple of dowside

Location, those gauges are not in the "line-of-sight"

Cost, with the core charge and shipping it's $600

do you track your car ?
If yes what's your oil temperature?
$600??

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Not really. People would obsess over temperature numbers being just a little over a number that sounded "too hot" to them.

A general indication here is good enough for most all driving purposes, short of tracking the car on a hot day (those people would be expected to understand what's going on better than most).

Norm
This. And places like this forum would be exactly the place where you would have a thread discussing how their car was at 275F all day while someone else would say they have never seen over 260F. Most gauges in most cars now days are like this, and realistically that's fine. Computers can also monitor schedules and alert you of off-schedule readings based on other variables. How long should the oil take to warm up after a cold start based on a given OAT? Computers are great at that kind of stuff, let them do it.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have a real oil temp gauge (and also an aftermarket oil cooler) and on track at a very hot 90+ degree day, my 5W30 oil did not exceed 260* at worst, more around 220-240*.

The GT350 oil temp gauge is a calculated value; as is the virtual gauge on the dash. I had it and the calculated value is relatively accurate so long as you have not changed any element of your cooling system.

Run Liqui Moly 5W40 if you are tracking your car. That is what I did when I did not have an oil cooler (and got fast enough to worry about heat). Two oil tests with Blackstone Labs indicated it sheared VERY SLIGHTLY after 2-3 track days and 5K miles, but was otherwise still good to go. Car did not have an oil temp warning ever with that oil. I did get the warning with 5W20 in cooler ambient temps.

OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
yes, gauges are around $250 and the core charges is $300
Since i would not be returning ( core) the same part #, i will not get the core back
Sponsored