Sponsored

Any 18 owners or reviews yet?

Ylow281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT/2018 Mustang GT
Where is all the talk of the 18's? I figured there would be some tuners/aftermarket folks testing these already like on the GT forum. wondering how the A10 18 compares to the auto 15-17.
Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Where is all the talk of the 18's? I figured there would be some tuners/aftermarket folks testing these already like on the GT forum. wondering how the A10 18 compares to the auto 15-17.
I know videos are slowly popping up on YT. I am surprised that no one is really talking about the EB model at all. '18 GT info everywhere, but very little on the EB.

From everyone I've heard from so far, the A10 isn't very suited for the EB. Lags quite a bit, and is uncertain of the gear it's supposed to be in. Pretty sure I seen someone on here mention it too in the '18 thread. Just watched a video last night of a from sinister.shelby test driving an EB with the A10, and he wasn't very happy with it. He said it felt like it had no idea what gear it should be in and was constantly shifting to try and figure it out.

*granted this is their review, not mine. Haven't gotten to feel one yet.*

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
I agree, it would be nice to get some real impressions and some idea if all existing parts, i.e. intercoolers, CIA etc still fit and would work as expected.

I did have a chance to test drive a base Eb over the weekend with the A10. It was only a 10-15 min drive but I thought it felt smooth. It had good pull and I did not notice any uncertainty. It did not have the different drive modes so could not do a direct comparison to my 15 EB Premium, but it felt solid. It did seem a bit quieter in the cabin. Other than that it did not have any of the features I really want time with, PP, magnraride, upgraded interior, so need to wait until there is some more stock around.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, it would be nice to get some real impressions and some idea if all existing parts, i.e. intercoolers, CIA etc still fit and would work as expected.

I did have a chance to test drive a base Eb over the weekend with the A10. It was only a 10-15 min drive but I thought it felt smooth. It had good pull and I did not notice any uncertainty. It did not have the different drive modes so could not do a direct comparison to my 15 EB Premium, but it felt solid. It did seem a bit quieter in the cabin. Other than that it did not have any of the features I really want time with, PP, magnraride, upgraded interior, so need to wait until there is some more stock around.
Yea we'll see as more and more reviews hopefully come in.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
From everyone I've heard from so far, the A10 isn't very suited for the EB. Lags quite a bit, and is uncertain of the gear it's supposed to be in. Pretty sure I seen someone on here mention it too in the '18 thread. Just watched a video last night of a from sinister.shelby test driving an EB with the A10, and he wasn't very happy with it. He said it felt like it had no idea what gear it should be in and was constantly shifting to try and figure it out.

*granted this is their review, not mine. Haven't gotten to feel one yet.*

Well, when you've got 10 gears to work with, why not put the engine in the optimal gear? Granted, the manufacturers tend to lean towards lugging the engine with an automatic anyways...(better CAFE numbers).

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, when you've got 10 gears to work with, why not put the engine in the optimal gear? Granted, the manufacturers tend to lean towards lugging the engine with an automatic anyways...(better CAFE numbers).
But from what I've seen, that's not what's happening. Some are saying that it seems like the car doesn't actually know what gear it should be in and hesitates. (New jeep transmissions anyone). I never once mentioned that it was keeping it out of the powerband. I'm not sure what you are trying to point out here by quoting me...

as I stated. I have NOT driven one. I cannot speak for the claims. Just what I've seen. Could it be an issue/defect? Maybe. I don't know as I haven't driven it.

Here is the video I was talking about. He says it's sluggish and uncertain of the gear it should be in. @8:40

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
But from what I've seen, that's not what's happening. Some are saying that it seems like the car doesn't actually know what gear it should be in and hesitates. (New jeep transmissions anyone). I never once mentioned that it was keeping it out of the powerband. I'm not sure what you are trying to point out here by quoting me...

[/URL]
Many of the complaints people have about transmissions shifting and "gear hunting" are subjective. I'd submit that a 10 speed transmission wouldn't be doing its job unless it was shifting way more than we're used to (more gears, after all), unless the top 5 gears or so were so that you could cruise on the Autobahn while getting 28 MPG ;) Have to catch the video on my lunch break, I'm at work.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That all depends on how bad the lag/uncertainty is. My father actually just had his brand new jeep bought back from him because of these issues. They replaced his transmission 2 times and had the TCM replaced once and it had less than 2k miles for it.

It's not ALWAYS subjective. Objectively, it can be defined as sluggish or dangerous if the car just refuses to go when in a dangerous position. And if it's a time frame that can be quantified it can easily be labeled unresponsive. Given the nature of a 10 speed, I understand it has to do table lookups for speed/acceleration/load/throttle position and many other variables, but once it gets into the unresponsive category, I'd rather take a responsive 6/8 speed instead.

That's the issue my fathers had. Was it drivable? Sure! But he would press on the gas and it would sit there for a good half to full second thinking what it wanted to do, and even after that it would rack up and down gears while keeping the same speed because it wasn't sure what to do.

F-150s seem to have a decently long 36 page thread about ongoing A10 issues as well. Lurching, slow shifts, massive upshifts that leave the vehicle hung lugging, gear searching etc. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2017-f150-10-speed-problems-374578/

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not at all trying to say this is a bad transmission, Chevy seems to be having great success with it! Looks like there's quite a few threads over on the f150 forum though, so it may have some ironing out to do on fords side.

At the end of the day though, I'd never have to worry about my transmission hunting for gears for me, I'm too busy trying to do that myself lmao ;)

OP
OP

Ylow281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT/2018 Mustang GT
I'd like to see some dyno numbers as well. Is that extra 30 ft lbs of torque from overboost just something that can be made up in the tune? Not quite clear on where that is coming from. Need to do some reading on it.

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd like to see some dyno numbers as well. Is that extra 30 ft lbs of torque from overboost just something that can be made up in the tune? Not quite clear on where that is coming from. Need to do some reading on it.
Very little info seems to be coming out about the overboost sadly. Hell just performance in general! I've seen a few reviews, and a few that own them...but not a single performance review, wtf. I'm curious as well. I'm guessing in a high throttle application it allows the car to make full boost (IE instead of cutting boost short for atmosphere, humidity, temperature etc). I'd guess maybe a combination of small timing/boost increases.

I'm sure it can probably be replicated once they know exactly what's going on in a tune, but wouldn't surprise me if it cuts the '18 tune potential down (Meaning numbers will be fairly even between old and new once tuned). I'm wondering if they took some cues from the FP tune, and seen that they could bump it a little and still be perfectly safe.

Hopefully we get better insight soon!

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
Yeah it seems all the focus is on the GT and it’s improvements. There is a video I did see that was the opposite and said the A10 does better in the EB than the GT. But the. Saw another one that was the complete opposite. I wonder if the fact that they had some issues with the 15-17 has tempered expectations. I mean just look at the ordered thread it’s 90% GT.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it seems all the focus is on the GT and it’s improvements. There is a video I did see that was the opposite and said the A10 does better in the EB than the GT. But the. Saw another one that was the complete opposite. I wonder if the fact that they had some issues with the 15-17 has tempered expectations. I mean just look at the ordered thread it’s 90% GT.
Nothing unusual there. It was the same way in 2016 when I ordered my current car and put it up on the orders placed thread. IIRC, the US market is 39% GT, almost everything else Ecoboost. It will be interesting to see how that changes for '18, especially with direct injection added to the GT (and the corresponding HP increase). However, I believe many Ecoboost buyers are like me and like the Eco part of that (no way I could afford V8 levels of fuel consumption on my commute, or the extra insurance for the GT).

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
I drove a base model 2018 Ecoboost with the 10 speed about a week and a half ago. In normal driving, I barely noticed it shifting. When pushed, it seemed to shift quickly and didn’t have to hunt for the right gear. I’ve got an 18 Ecoboost Premium PP A10 on order now.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Supposedly they do 0-60 sub 5 sec stock with the a10 and overboost. The overboost feature came from the RS. I imagine good tune, tires, and maybe a intercooler you got yourself a 4.5 sec ecoboost.
Sponsored