Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Hood Scoops

Wow that is really bad. :(
Can't believe Ford thought that looked good in any way at all.
2018-Ford-Mustang-GT-hood-vent.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Awesome improvements except for the hood and headlights. That gap in the headlight design looks so weird. The hood doesn't look as good as the 15+ either IMO.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I bet hood vents that are flush (instead of having that bezel) will be a popular mod.

ccredbaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium w/PP
Awesome improvements except for the hood and headlights. That gap in the headlight design looks so weird. The hood doesn't look as good as the 15+ either IMO.
I totally agree! That hood vent looks like something you'd find on the back of a refrigerator or a floor heater vent in your house! :(

Sponsored

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Excellent point agreed!

Those wondering why Ford bothered with a redesign, it's simple. A redesign is the only way your neighbor or passerby will know you have the new one. It's vain and stupid but sadly there's a large amount of people that buy based on looks and making a statement with the newest thing. That aside, the average car design gets stale after about 3 years so this was in line with industry practices.

If anything hurts the Mustang sales, it'll be the lack of the low entry cost V6. Rumors are that even the base ecoboost will get a price bump so your mustang starting price goes from roughly 22k to 26k. At least around here I see a lot of base V6 S550s. I think the much higher starting price is what could potentially hurt sales.
Yes sir when I had my new 91 LX vert it was an instant magnet and then the 94 came out my friend got one and everyone crowded around because of the new rounded design. The year before everyone crowded around my 91 even though Ford only changed the wheels and interior on the 14 year platform. Same thing with 07 gt/cs... a buddy upgraded to the 2011 GT and instant eye magnet.:eyebulge: NOT to mention the return of the 5.0 liter

I believe the same thing will happen with the 18.. Not a full make over but new paint and new body lines and wheels will make it the "next new thing",

Imagine when the full makeover occurs in 20 or 21 and then the draw will be even bigger.

Also good point about V6 model...I see more of them now on the road then GT or ecoboost. I believe it will be missed but it seems the ecoboost is here to stay!

My opinion:

• 1st
the major needed mods for the 18 are dual quad exhaust ( I did that upgrade to my 15 changed to a premium bumper and everything)
  • 2nd
the new aero wing ( funny I added a GT replica mine came with spoiler delete )

and 3rd
tire choice for Michelin A/S ( great choice ..I have a set on order ..the stock Pirellis are a joke rears only lasted 12k

All in all above are the top three most needed mods imho..the interior refresh and dash arent all bad either

saxman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
For those of you who have seen the 18 in person, does the hood look longer that the 15-17 model? In pictures, it almost seems like it looks shorter in the profile due to the downward taper at the front of the hood.

I know the long hood has been a mustang trademark, but driving a 15-17, that was probably one of the biggest letdowns I had. The extra long, somewhat tall hood seems to add to the floaty feeling I think mustangs have. I've driven a 6th gen Camaro, and it does not have that floaty feeling. I think it is a combination of a shorter hood and a superior chasis /suspension setup.

I'm torn between the 2 cars. I feel the Mustang will now be close, if not slightly superior, to the performance of the Camaro.

Looks wise, I don't really like the "thick" side profile of the camaro. The door to window ratio just seems off. On the other hand I really don't like the exaggerated long hood of the mustang.

If performance will be nearly equal, it's going to be a toss up for me which car I'd choose. I wish the mustang offered a heads up display. That's about the only thing I see it missing now. The hard plastic dash of the Camaro drove me nuts too. The interior is decent, but that long, hard dash just screams cheap.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
For those of you who have seen the 18 in person, does the hood look longer that the 15-17 model? In pictures, it almost seems like it looks shorter in the profile due to the downward taper at the front of the hood.

I know the long hood has been a mustang trademark, but driving a 15-17, that was probably one of the biggest letdowns I had. The extra long, somewhat tall hood seems to add to the floaty feeling I think mustangs have. I've driven a 6th gen Camaro, and it does not have that floaty feeling. I think it is a combination of a shorter hood and a superior chasis /suspension setup.

I'm torn between the 2 cars. I feel the Mustang will now be close, if not slightly superior, to the performance of the Camaro.

Looks wise, I don't really like the "thick" side profile of the camaro. The door to window ratio just seems off. On the other hand I really don't like the exaggerated long hood of the mustang.

If performance will be nearly equal, it's going to be a toss up for me which car I'd choose. I wish the mustang offered a heads up display. That's about the only thing I see it missing now. The hard plastic dash of the Camaro drove me nuts too. The interior is decent, but that long, hard dash just screams cheap.
From what I saw at the DC auto show, it looks like you wont even see the hood at all unless you lean up. It's definitely a lower hood line for sure. Went behind the '18 vert and tried to get a eye level and couldn't see it at all. I understand what you mean with the floating, I feel the same like you're looking uphill in the current. But when I've sat in a GT350 it definitely felt like it was a much better hood line (which passes down to the GT now).

I went over to the current gen vert and you definitely see the bulge etc from the back if you look down the same way. I'd go with the Mustang for sure. My GF sat in the current gen Camaro and the '17 Mustang as as soon as she sat in the Camaro and I shut the door she was like "omg why are the window ledges so high this seems like you're in a tank" and in the Mustang when she sat in it she said she thought it was normal/fine and didn't feel like she was in a tank.

I don't know why they didn't have the '18 open to sit in to let people get a feel for the different. There isn't anything in there that's not in the current gen that we had at the show.

2 other cars that were really cool were the S5 Sportback from Audi. That thing was pretty cool. Even though it's just the S5 with 4 doors, everyone seem to really want to sit/stare at that car.

The other one was the Kia GT Stinger. That' thing was pretty bad @$$. Was going to start at $35 for the RWD and up to $55K fully loaded with AWD & all the safety features. Definitely a very long 4 door sports coupe (similar to the S7) but it was pretty sick (tad over designed)

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
You can kill the floaty feeling with a BMR CB005 and some springs. It really transforms the way the car feels!

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
From what I saw at the DC auto show, it looks like you wont even see the hood at all unless you lean up. It's definitely a lower hood line for sure. Went behind the '18 vert and tried to get a eye level and couldn't see it at all. I understand what you mean with the floating, I feel the same like you're looking uphill in the current. But when I've sat in a GT350 it definitely felt like it was a much better hood line (which passes down to the GT now).

I went over to the current gen vert and you definitely see the bulge etc from the back if you look down the same way. I'd go with the Mustang for sure. My GF sat in the current gen Camaro and the '17 Mustang as as soon as she sat in the Camaro and I shut the door she was like "omg why are the window ledges so high this seems like you're in a tank" and in the Mustang when she sat in it she said she thought it was normal/fine and didn't feel like she was in a tank.

I don't know why they didn't have the '18 open to sit in to let people get a feel for the different. There isn't anything in there that's not in the current gen that we had at the show.

2 other cars that were really cool were the S5 Sportback from Audi. That thing was pretty cool. Even though it's just the S5 with 4 doors, everyone seem to really want to sit/stare at that car.

The other one was the Kia GT Stinger. That' thing was pretty bad @$$. Was going to start at $35 for the RWD and up to $55K fully loaded with AWD & all the safety features. Definitely a very long 4 door sports coupe (similar to the S7) but it was pretty sick (tad over designed)
Thanks for the review. I do agree with the kia stinger, and i m sure you can find a loaded one way below 55 grand, i m guessing around mid 40's. Kia tried a high price with the K900 and you could get one 15 grand below msrp. Since its Kia, a price tag that high won't fly.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Lightning or Kona Blue with some of those forged wheels on that red one. I can dig that on a GT.

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
Wow that is really bad. :(
Can't believe Ford thought that looked good in any way at all.
Maybe the "OxoHood" will replaced early on or a much cooler shaker will be offered....

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
[ame]
Sponsored