Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Having owned one I can assure you that a Porsche turbo is no "pig". Fast as hell in just about and situation and comfortable doing it. The Gt2/Gt3 are more stripped down track focused machines. If that's your cup of tea. The point I was making is hopefully the GT500 is more comfort/big performance rather than ultimate performance in a stripper model! To each his own some folks think they want every thing gone but one seat and a steering wheel! Chevy tried that with the last z28 and they are still seating on lots with huge discounts and no buyers! Will be interesting to say which direction Ford takes it!
Compared to the spring and damper tuning on the GT3 & GT2 a turbo is quite the comfort, Grand-Touring "pig". I've tracked a couple 996TT & 997TTs and they are quite capable cars, but the ZL1 1LE's Multimatic DSSV dampers are much more in line with GT3/GT2/Nismo GTR than a 'turbo' or base GTR.
Sponsored

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
No doubt completely different types of models. Really depends on what you want to do with it! I know many folks think they want something like the 1le for a daily driver till the rubber it's the road and it knocks your teeth out over bumps! Very few people ever really track their "track" car! Those who do know exactly what they want and are getting! The other get really disappointed quick once the realize what a "track" car is really like on the road! Track car are just that made for a track! I hope the GT500 doesn't try to be a 1LE because I want it to be fun on the road not just a track!

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The old GT500 was very much a floaty cruiser and drag/hwy racing car than one designed to corner... But then again Magneride does wonders for being able to ride and perform well.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
They would do quite nice in the GT500. We can see clearly from the GT350 Ford understands how to make a car handle! That should care over nicely to whatever they bring out next!! Really looking forward to seeing what they do!

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
No doubt completely different types of models. Really depends on what you want to do with it! I know many folks think they want something like the 1le for a daily driver till the rubber it's the road and it knocks your teeth out over bumps! Very few people ever really track their "track" car! Those who do know exactly what they want and are getting! The other get really disappointed quick once the realize what a "track" car is really like on the road! Track car are just that made for a track! I hope the GT500 doesn't try to be a 1LE because I want it to be fun on the road not just a track!
That's exactly why porsche sells the GT3 in rather limited numbers, specially the RS models, it's a small market, many prefer the turbo all around ability. Also isn't the track focused car exactly what the GT350/R is? Its an NA beast. I don't see why the GT500 would be aimed at the same group.

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Agreed...
However, I wonder if Ford believes there is enough enthusiast demand plus a strong business/financial case to justify simultaneous production of two special edition models to satisfy the demands of buyers in a potentially split segment (GT350/R vs GT500) of the high-performance Mustang market.

Also, considering the future development plans for the Mustang, I seriously question if either a "traditional" type GT350/500 will have a place in the S650 generation lineup?
There may be killer hybrid that does it all!

IMHO...Jim Hackett does not seem like the type of guy who would have approved the current GT350 in the first place.

Selo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Shelby GT500
The old GT500 was very much a floaty cruiser and drag/hwy racing car than one designed to corner... But then again Magneride does wonders for being able to ride and perform well.
All it took was a Watts link rear end, eibach Springs, and lca's to make it handle and rotate really nicely.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Agreed...
However, I wonder if Ford believes there is enough enthusiast demand plus a strong business/financial case to justify simultaneous production of two special edition models to satisfy the demands of buyers in a potentially split segment (GT350/R vs GT500) of the high-performance Mustang market.

Also, considering the future development plans for the Mustang, I seriously question if either a "traditional" type GT350/500 will have a place in the S650 generation lineup?
There may be killer hybrid that does it all!

IMHO...Jim Hackett does not seem like the type of guy who would have approved the current GT350 in the first place.
Ford has been doing exactly that with the '03-'04 Mach1/Cobra as well as the Boss 302/Gt500.

We're 3 years in with no king of the hill. It's time.

And I'm the bling the 500 will be a handler as well as a rocket.

The S197 started with the top dog - power and then building handling later. Then we got the boss years later. Now it's flipped. So we get the ultimate track platform with the superpower later. This adds up to the best of both worlds.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The GT500 will compete with what chevy brought with the ZL1. There will either be a KR model or a track pack option that is similar to the L1E ZL1, reduced weight, more track focused tires, CF, more downforce (splitter and wing). All will have magnaride, which is comfortable when in street mode and stiff as ever when in track mode.
Hoping it looks better than the pic, the headlights arent appealing to me. A step back IMO. Maybe a different hood would help offset that look.

Sponsored

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
That would be fine as long as they don't take it to far. KR(king of the road) not track! Look at any review of the 1LE it is horrible on anything but smooth surfaces due to its hard mounted "race" shocks which are not adjustable. I would rather the KR take the road performance up a notch not take away all the comfort stuff away. I think history has proven that is a hard sell! You can order a Dodge Demon with every thing gone but one seat but so far 90% are being ordered loaded! Very few people need /want a stripper street car!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
That would be fine as long as they don't take it to far. KR(king of the road) not track! Look at any review of the 1LE it is horrible on anything but smooth surfaces due to its hard mounted "race" shocks which are not adjustable. I would rather the KR take the road performance up a notch not take away all the comfort stuff away. I think history has proven that is a hard sell! You can order a Dodge Demon with every thing gone but one seat but so far 90% are being ordered loaded! Very few people need /want a stripper street car!
If ford offers it, ill get a AC delete, no radio, base model, just like my 350R. I dont daily drive these cars, im not looking for creature comforts, im looking for the ultimate performer of the model, I want the feel of the car to be pinnacle for that model.
I doubt ford offers a base model without the gadgets, as they didnt sell many base R models. I have a good feeling there will be a track focused OPTION, and who knows, possibly a drag pack option.

The reason a lot of the demons were ordered with the seats is that they cost 1 dollar. To pull them out only takes time. To put them in after the fact takes a lot more $ and time. Why not have the seats? Its the way i ordered mine, I was going to pull them out later.
In reality, out of the 3000 that will be made 1500 of them will probably not even be driven.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Hopefully Ford will take the ala cart route so we can build it like we want it! That would be nice. Dodge did a good job with the Demon in that regard!

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The GT500 will compete with what chevy brought with the ZL1.
I agree.
And that is why I STRONGLY believe that Ford will offer a manual as well as an automatic transmission for the new GT500.
I've watched a couple of Youtube videos on how fast the A10 ZL1 shifts and it is a pretty fast car.
Sponsored