Lethals stock 18 GT 10 speed breaks a halfshaft

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
So a complete base gt is running 12.2 that's damn good. Hugely improved over the 15-17. Honestly if the gt is getting these times I can't wait to see the next GT500 or whatever it will be called.
Sponsored

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
I thought a car guy would be sophisticated enough. To know about things like DA, track prep, and driver mod. Comments like that. Make you sound a little jealous of the 18s.:shrug:

Just a question. Not jealous. I could sell my 67 GT500 and buy both a new 18 GT and a new GT350 if I really wanted to. Actually I could have bought an 18 GT if I wanted to without selling the 67- hate to say it but my 17 GT is my beater car....I drive her 30,000 miles a year- most of in heavy traffic. (sometimes I think I should have bought an Ecoboom - but F it lol)

If this would have been my weekend car- or a car I know I wasnt going to run into the ground- I would have probably bought an 18. Only thing I dont like on the 18 is how they made the hood flat.

I guess I should apologize that between my career, wife, kids, and maintaining my small collection of cars I don't have time to stay up to speed on every detail of what the 18GT is running in what DA.

Also- check the videos...

The Lund PP car on drag radials ran a 12.2- so did the Steeda car on stock tires with 3.15s in a bad DA- If both the Steeda car and the Lund car were in a bad DA I would think that the PP and drag radials would be worth some kind of ET reductions?

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
The Lund PP car on drag radials ran a 12.2- so did the Steeda car on stock tires with 3.15s in a bad DA- If both the Steeda car and the Lund car were in a bad DA I would think that the PP and drag radials would be worth some kind of ET reductions?
Lund did 12.1 with a 6spd manual, after market DR's and e85 tune with a lower DA.

Steeda did 12.2 bone stock with the a10 automatic.

Lunds Auto went 12.0 bone stock. So you could "assume" the DA change was worth about .2, If you assume same weather, track prep, driver weight ect.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Just a question. Not jealous. I could sell my 67 GT500 and buy both a new 18 GT and a new GT350 if I really wanted to. Actually I could have bought an 18 GT if I wanted to without selling the 67- hate to say it but my 17 GT is my beater car....I drive her 30,000 miles a year- most of in heavy traffic. (sometimes I think I should have bought an Ecoboom - but F it lol)

If this would have been my weekend car- or a car I know I wasnt going to run into the ground- I would have probably bought an 18. Only thing I dont like on the 18 is how they made the hood flat.

I guess I should apologize that between my career, wife, kids, and maintaining my small collection of cars I don't have time to stay up to speed on every detail of what the 18GT is running in what DA.

Also- check the videos...

I also could afford a small island. As my Mustang is merely my wife’s inexpensive grocery getter. However instead of purchasing classic cars like you good sir. I chose race cars to expel my considerable wealth on. And I have learned from countless years of racing. That the driver is the biggest variable in any race. And speculating on a video without an accompanying time slip is fruitless. Dilly Dilly.:cheers::D And to the rest of the peasants in this thread. Please allow myself and gnn60gt500 to apologize for sounding braggadocio!;)

Last edited:

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Lund did 12.1 with a 6spd manual, after market DR's and e85 tune with a lower DA.

Steeda did 12.2 bone stock with the a10 automatic.

Lunds Auto went 12.0 bone stock. So you could "assume" the DA change was worth about .2, If you assume same weather, track prep, driver weight ect.
Cool thank you. That makes sense.

Sponsored

entaiiie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' GT
So a complete base gt is running 12.2 that's damn good. Hugely improved over the 15-17. Honestly if the gt is getting these times I can't wait to see the next GT500 or whatever it will be called.
yeah, I can't believe they can pull off a 12.2 on those all season 235s.. pretty damn good.

Digiam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 camaro ss A8
I thought the run down here at sgmp was the most impressive. 12.2 on 235 tires

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
According to the Zl1 owning 2018 Mustang self proclaimed expert on C6G all 2018 Mustang GT's have weak half shafts now. this one incident sets the tone for all other cars to fail.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
According to the Zl1 owning 2018 Mustang self proclaimed expert on C6G all 2018 Mustang GT's have weak half shafts now. this one incident sets the tone for all other cars to fail.
Weren't Hellcats breaking driveshafts for a while?

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I have a thread on here, I broke a stock halfshaft on my 17 when it only had 1400 miles on it. Bone stock PP GT 5.0. I lined it up in the groove and used the launch control. It was my third pass. It hooked awesomely pulled 20 feet and boom. The track officials were shocked when I told them it was dead. Guess they were not used to people killing new cars on the track.

Sponsored

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT
Serious question. I'm coming from a Lightning so I new to the Mustang per se. I'm wondering is it a known problem (weak link) for the half shafts to break on IRS? I understand it maybe be a fluke or one off situation. Just curious if it's a problem like the 10 bolts being the weak link for the Chevy guys; it may hold for a long while but eventually it's going to give with the right tires of enough power. Or in the case of the Gen 2 Lightning everybody basically knew when you made 500 + horsepower your block was on borrowed time. I guess I'm really curious because I plan on adding some DR time my '18 arrives.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Serious question. I'm coming from a Lightning so I new to the Mustang per se. I'm wondering is it a known problem (weak link) for the half shafts to break on IRS? I understand it maybe be a fluke or one off situation. Just curious if it's a problem like the 10 bolts being the weak link for the Chevy guys; it may hold for a long while but eventually it's going to give with the right tires of enough power. Or in the case of the Gen 2 Lightning everybody basically knew when you made 500 + horsepower your block was on borrowed time. I guess I'm really curious because I plan on adding some DR time my '18 arrives.
I don't think anyone knows yet as this just happened. Likely/hopefully a factory defect but time will tell.

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT
I don't think anyone knows yet as this just happened. Likely/hopefully a factory defect but time will tell.
I was assuming they were using the same half shafts from prior year. So, didn't know if this was know from prior S550.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I was assuming they were using the same half shafts from prior year. So, didn't know if this was know from prior S550.
In one of the car show interview video's early in 2017 Carl Widmann, Chief Engineer, mentioned that the axles were "upgraded". (I just reviewed the video to be sure). He did NOT say how much they were upgraded or compare with say the GT 350 half-shafts.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Im going with just a one time defect for the 18 GT. I got a couple hundred passes. On a stalled auto leaving at over 3000rpms. Cutting high 1.5 sixties and never worried about a half shaft. I doubt you really have anything to worry about with a stock auto. Despite what the nitwits over there say. :doh:
Sponsored