8" Android Head Unit Review

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
So, I just spent the last hour on the phone with the guy, and he is going to open up a Beta Program on this unit. It will be a limited number of people (He said at least 20) who are interested in ordering a pre-production unit (like I did) at a discount and providing direct feedback to him, participating in testing patches/updates and feature upgrades before everyone else. He's working on getting all the information together to post on the site (which he said is having issues with his hosting by the way, so just keep trying.)
Pm sent
Sponsored

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another question. Does it have a button mapper? -To make the Voice button do google assist. -Map the buttons below the screen to do something if Sync is disabled.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a quick clip of the Radio Tuner in action while I was in the Drive-Thru. I'll slap the first person requesting a video of it in AM mode.

(Yes, I like Chick-Fil-A)

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I'm betting it works immediately but this would be a deal breaker.
I'll report back this weekend after I reconnect my backup camera.

I'm not planning on paying more monthly fees to Verizon so I won't be doing the hotspot. Awesome use though. WiFi/Tethering could be an option but I would have to use something automated because don't want to deal with running this on my phone all the time or turning it off and on each time. I use player FM to download the stuff over Wifi at night so it is ready to go.

That sounds too exciting for me.

Doesn't this have an optical drive? Got to be a little used feature but was thinking it had one. I'll review the specs.
No optical drive.

Will be interesting to see when you do this. You may end up with a button panel on the dash that doesn't do anything and nonworking USB ports. I'm really curious how they seem to be getting the USB ports to work on two hosts.
It would only take (2) USB-A Male to Mini-USB Female Cables to make it work.
Can you see a UFD mounted in android?
I haven't plugged any USB drives in. I don't need them. When I do some copying this weekend, I'll check.

Lol. Some LCD screens are unusable with sunglasses.
If the glasses are polarized, it's a possibility.

Lol. Ok to be more specific: hh:mm not HH:mm :)
You can do either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I'm confused is it just a blatant lie? the website also says the unit comes with 7.1.2 is it only the beta units that come with Marshmallow and production will be Nougat? I assume there will be no hardware differences from beta to production model, just software upgrades?
You know how Chinese manufacturers are, they did the same with the Tesla unit when they made it. Advertised as Android 6, but it was 4.4.4. They will likely all be Marshmallow, and there should be some minor hardware updates with production models, I would think.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Another question. Does it have a button mapper? -To make the Voice button do google assist. -Map the buttons below the screen to do something if Sync is disabled.

It does have a button mapper, but I haven't tested it, since I still have SYNC installed. I'll know more this weekend.

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
im sold on this unit. dont think im a contender to be a beta tester, but will be purchasing one once the final version is released, and a detailed install video exists :)

KonaBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
For music, I mostly use downloaded MP3's on a USB memory stick, choosing different artists, albums or tracks with the voice control, when you have the time could you tell me if that still works, this is something that I do not want to lose.
(By the way for that function to work the mp3's need to be tagged.)

Thanks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
For music, I mostly use downloaded MP3's on a USB memory stick, choosing different artists, albums or tracks with the voice control, when you have the time could you tell me if that still works, this is something that I do not want to lose.
(By the way for that function to work the mp3's need to be tagged.)

Thanks.
If I had MP3's I would check it for you.

Edit: As mine currently sits (with the SYNC module still installed) it will still work that way. Once the SYNC module is removed, the answer would be obtained by trying it with OK Google on any Android device.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I might be able to add some thoughts in the near future :ninja:
IMG_20180202_075249.jpg
IMG_20180202_080302.jpg

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Can't wait to hear how the install is with amps that you said you have...nice, you did get it before the weekend :)