Sponsored

Replacement amp suggestions for base car?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, my old trusty amp that I've moved across multiple cars has lost a channel and rather than bother repairing it (trust me, it's old...Sony XM-504X), I'm looking at upgrading the amp.

From what I've found, the old one had:
Rated outputs (supply voltage at 14.4 V)Four speakers:
50 watts per channel (20 Hz - 20 kHz,
0.04 % THD, at 4 ohms)
65 watts per channel (20 Hz - 20 kHz,
0.1 % THD, at 2 ohms)
Two speakers:
130 watts (monaural) (20 Hz - 20 kHz,
0.1 % THD, at 4 ohms)
When I had everything installed initially my mom had them throw in some Kicker tweeters/components (CSS65). I know there's better, but I'll get that in my next car. These are rated for 100W of continuous power.

Any recommendations for 4-channel amps in the less than $250 range? Obviously the shop continues to recommend Kicker to go with it, the CX300.4 on the low end or the KXA400.4 for medium.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Equally surprised, I know we have some guys with huge audio builds and lots of car AV experience in here.

I'll see if the shop guys can get it at their reseller price for me. I think I'm between the Kicker one they initially recommended, Rockford Fosgate Punch P400X4, and this Pioneer unit. Kicker and Pioneer they might already have, I don't think I've seen them stock RF before.

Out of those, do you think the Pioneer one is the best? It seems like it lines up the best to the speakers with the 100x4 at 4ohms but I don't know if I'm supposed to be looking at the 2ohm or 4ohm (although either way the Pioneer seems to be more power and I'd rather have more available than not have enough).

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Equally surprised, I know we have some guys with huge audio builds and lots of car AV experience in here.

I'll see if the shop guys can get it at their reseller price for me. I think I'm between the Kicker one they initially recommended, Rockford Fosgate Punch P400X4, and this Pioneer unit. Kicker and Pioneer they might already have, I don't think I've seen them stock RF before.

Out of those, do you think the Pioneer one is the best? It seems like it lines up the best to the speakers with the 100x4 at 4ohms but I don't know if I'm supposed to be looking at the 2ohm or 4ohm (although either way the Pioneer seems to be more power and I'd rather have more available than not have enough).
I can't say its the best, but it lines up pretty well with your requirements and gets good reviews on both Crutchfield and Amazon.

Sponsored

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
I would suggest PowerBass. Just upgraded the Speakers to the Powerbass OEM direct fit replacements.

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
'02 Mustang GT, '16 Mustang Ecoboost
I would suggest PowerBass. Just upgraded the Speakers to the Powerbass OEM direct fit replacements.
This is the first I've heard about this brand. How do you like them?

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
I am very happy with them. The easiest replacement yet. Also the price was way below the other for the same build of materials and sound quality.
Now my next mission is to find a amplified sub to fit under the passenger seat. Or maybe some sound exciters.Just for a little extra kick. Just dont want a big sub taking up space or rolling around in the trunk.

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
'02 Mustang GT, '16 Mustang Ecoboost
I am very happy with them. The easiest replacement yet. Also the price was way below the other for the same build of materials and sound quality.
Now my next mission is to find a amplified sub to fit under the passenger seat. Or maybe some sound exciters.Just for a little extra kick. Just dont want a big sub taking up space or rolling around in the trunk.
That's good to know, it's been kinda hard to find reviews on that brands speakers. I don't mind a small sub in the trunk as long as it's not bulky and taking up a lot of space.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Amazon has Rockford fosgate Punch P600X4 for $297 new and $250 used.

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Kind of surprised no one has responded to this...

This amp gets pretty good reviews, little more power and a little less money;
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GMD8604/Pioneer-GM-D8604.html?tp=35782

They don't make these any longer, but you can still find them available occasionally in the classifieds at DIYMA.com or on ebay;
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_29471_JBL-MS-A1004.html
I had that pioneer on my previous car and it was very good and ran super cool.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I had that pioneer on my previous car and it was very good and ran super cool.
Yeah, I've never used one, but it's mentioned in a positive way over at DIYMA.com frequently...

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I’ve got Rockford amps in both my cars. No complaints. I also live in AZ so we get ridiculously hot in the summer and the amps never overheat or shutdown.

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

Would you mind linking me to the set you purchased? This brand looks interesting - thank you for mentioning
Sponsored