Ford Performance Track Handling Pack

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel
I have the track package that I purchased used from a friend - have not installed it yet.
A few pieces are missing (fastener kit and toe bearings) so I am going to purchase those before I start the install.

Questions:
I am considering adding the Steeda spherical lower bearings at the same time. Worth it?
Also looking at the front G-Trac brace, and the IRS subframe braces. Also worth it?

If it is going to be a big help, I want to do all of this at once and be done. But if I'm not really going to see much of an improvement, I'd rather save the money for something else. Suggestions? Anything else I should be looking at for a primarily street car?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I would definitely do the subframe braces or the BMR cradle lockout. The rear subframe movement is the weakest link in the suspension when it comes to making the handling predictable.

IMO the Steeda LCA bearings will make a big difference also, especially in terms of putting the power down. But it will make the rear feel much more reactive to changes in inputs and encountering bumps on the road. You may or may not want this. It's a big change to feel of the rear of the car. There's additional harshness that goes a long with this IMO. Although it does seem like most folks have not complained about the NVH unless they have also installed differential bushings as well. I can't speak to this personally because I did LCA bearings + differential lockout at the same time.

In terms of the subframe, my understanding is that the BMR cradle lockout has cups that solidly connect the subframe to the chassis. The Steeda subframe braces might allow a little bit more movement which might minimize NVH. Others can chime in if this is wrong.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I've pretty much decided to buy a 2018 with the PP. Thanks to everyone for chiming in. If I change my mind I will do the track kit.

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
Green550,
I had this Kit installed last year have over 10,000 miles on it. Really enjoy the setup Ford had done all the testing for us. And pricing was great for the package. Feel free to P.M. me if you have an questions. Will try to answer them the best of my ability.
Did you install this kit on a V6?

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
When I first installed this kit, I loved it. Then at time went on and I felt less enthusiastic about it, particularly the progressive springs. I considered switching to linear springs or a different setup altogether. But now I think I really like it and am going to keep it as is. It's a much stiffer setup than I had previously and I definitely think it's meant for the track. But it contains some compliance that is welcome on normal roads. On bumpy torn up roads it isn't the best and is a little unpredictable.

Few things I've learned about this kit- it's very sensitive to throttle. The more you hammer the throttle the more the rear clamps down and the rebound is in control. When you let off it doesn't feel as nice. The kit is meant for you to go fast. It seems the faster you go and the more you hit the throttle the smoother it is. And it does corner extremely well. I've learned to stay off the throttle in corner entry and then hammer the throttle at the apex of the corner and the rear end bites down and the car stays planted.

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
Yes, this was installed on the V6. I called Ford Performance before installing and they said it was never meant for the V6 and not tested. It worked fine. No installation issues. For my preference I did swap out the Springs Front and Rear for the Roush/Yates Vogtland Ecoboost springs. Just wanted to get a little more drop in the Front. And added the Front swaybar locks.

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
I talked to them today also. Got the same story. I actually compared part numbers between the base GT, base EB and the V6 and they were all the same except the EB got a different front strut for some reason. Now to decide between street and track. I'll probably never get on a track realistically. Thanks for the reply.

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind the Street handling has the performance pack shock and struts. And the Track handling has more track specific shocks and struts. That's what helped in my purchase.

KenM302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT 6MT 401A
Just a quick side bar..
Those of you that have the track pack already installed what is your wheel and tire size?
If you are on 19"s do you wish you had 20"s and vice versa?
Asking strictly from a performance mindset over appearance.

Sponsored

aclosedmind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I don't feel any great need to go up a wheel size from the PP 19s. I would rather have Michelins though, and potentially much lighter wheels. Been thinking about the Enkei Raijin 19s for that reason as they look similar to the PP wheels but are quite a bit lighter for reduced unsprung weight/rotational mass.

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I have stayed with the 18" x 9" wide for a square setup. size is now 255/45-18.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I think going with taller tires will reduce handling and acceleration, although lighter rims may deminish some of those effects. When I get new rims I plan on going with APEX 18X10s, or if I want to sacrifice handling for better looks 19x10s but that's it. No reason to go to 20s unless you only want it for looks as it will reduce your handling.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think going with taller tires will reduce handling and acceleration, although lighter rims may deminish some of those effects. When I get new rims I plan on going with APEX 18X10s, or if I want to sacrifice handling for better looks 19x10s but that's it. No reason to go to 20s unless you only want it for looks as it will reduce your handling.
Shorter sidewalls almost always improve handling. Shorter sidewalls are stiffer and improve response and feedback.

Acceleration is usually worse with larger wheels as the mass is further away from the wheel center (higher inertia). That said, a 55 lb wheel and tire package will be roughly equivalent here no matter if its 18" or 19". You might be able to tell between an 18" and 20". Most aftermarket offerings are as light or lighter than OE, so you could go up in wheel diameter and width and be weight neutral (slightly lighter is possible depending on the wheel). I'd go 19x10. Great handling, great looks and way more tires available near OE diameter.

KenM302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT 6MT 401A
Thanks for the replies.
Do any of you with the track pack have stock PP wheels WITHOUT spacers and care to post up some side shots?
Sponsored