Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
Should my coolant level show full when cold or hot? I may have over serviced it slightly.

Cold:

IMG_7682.jpeg

Hot:

IMG_7677.jpeg
Sponsored

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Should my coolant level show full when cold or hot? I may have over serviced it slightly.

Cold:

IMG_7682.jpeg

Hot:

IMG_7677.jpeg
It looks like it’s at the cold line. That’s where it should be when you first start your car. As it warms up the heated coolant will expand and the level will go above the cold line.

OP
OP
TRDFurgesson

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate your responses. Thank you!

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
IMO, pretty much all cars show the coolant level as low when cold. If you top it up to minimum, then it just goes out the overflow and ends up back where it started.

It's best to check it only when fully warmed up. I would put it at the minimum line.
Even then, so long as some coolant is in that expansion tank you're probably okay.

Sponsored

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
This might help: the aftermarket expansion tanks often only use a cold line, so that is what matters. If there is no air in the system and at cold fluid is at the cold line then it is at the right level, but it will move when the car heats up or is just shut off after running to operating temp. Once the car cools down it should go back to cold.

Reactions: GTP

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I noticed that my coolant has been below the min line when cold. Should I add the 50/50 prediluted mix or distilled water? I read somwhere that Ford made a change from orange to yellow for the coolant in recent years so not sure if I have to drain and refill or topping off would be fine ? car is 2018 GT with 47k miles

20240405_170046.jpg

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I think your photo is proving my point in post #5 above. In that you may add some coolant, only to find it back at this level anyway.

Again, any coolant in the expansion tank tells me that the radiator has all it needs. An empty expansion tank would start me to investigate further.

BTW, this is why I will never install an aftermarket thank that is not see-through.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I think your photo is proving my point in post #5 above. In that you may add some coolant, only to find it back at this level anyway.

Again, any coolant in the expansion tank tells me that the radiator has all it needs. An empty expansion tank would start me to investigate further.

BTW, this is why I will never install an aftermarket thank that is not see-through.
Thanks, I never really paid attention to coolant level much as long as there was visible coolant in the expansion tank. I'll keep an eye out to check when engine is fully warmed up. Can i get away with adding distilled water to top up ?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The cold fill line is marked MIN
The hot fill line is marked MAX.

Being slightly above it hot will not hurt anything. Many shops fill it to the top and drive the car. What the car doesn't want goes out the over flow.

We call it "finding it's own level"

Reactions: GTP

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I never really paid attention to coolant level much as long as there was visible coolant in the expansion tank. I'll keep an eye out to check when engine is fully warmed up. Can i get away with adding distilled water to top up ?
Yes, I would use distilled. It is cheap at the grocery store. Just me, but I'd check with other cars to see if there coolant level was about the same as mine. (My car is in storage for another week or I'd post my own photo.)

Another related question is "When should I replace my coolant?" I just ordered an anti-freeze tester from eBay, but have yet to try it out. At the track it is better if the ratio is not 50/50 but biased more towards water than anti-freeze. That's why I ordered the tester.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I noticed that my coolant has been below the min line when cold. Should I add the 50/50 prediluted mix or distilled water? I read somwhere that Ford made a change from orange to yellow for the coolant in recent years so not sure if I have to drain and refill or topping off would be fine ? car is 2018 GT with 47k miles
You can just add distilled water especially if you aren't expecting 20 below 0.

If you want to add the prediluted you can use orange (only aftermarket) or yellow. Yes Ford switched from orange to yellow but the yellow is backwards compatible and you can mix the two so you can use yellow to top it off if you want.
Sponsored