Sponsored

Sync 3 Delete - Thinking into the Future

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, I'm quite familiar with latency via a conductor, but AA and CarPlay aren't DDR5 DIMM modules running at 8000MT/s needing to be within millimeters of a CPU socket.

Every foot of USB cable introduces a latency of about 1 nanosecond, or a billionth of a second, so a 10-foot cable would be approximately 10 nanoseconds, or a 100,000,000th of a second. That sort of latency would cause bit collisions in computer memory beyond a certain speed, but what Android Auto and CarPlay are doing doesn't have the parallel data bus issues requiring everything being in sync like that. Hell, it's not close to saturing the USB 2.0 spec (which was the only option on an iPhone until last year) let alone coming close to the speed and latency capabilities of USB 3 or USB 4 (which no mobile devices have, yet), but that doesn't matter because the cars only come with USB 2.0 spec ports.

Consider this, though... Both AA and CarPlay can also work wirelessly, which introduces A LOT more latency than that, measuring anywhere from 1.5 to 15 milliseconds!

I'd honestly be more worried about the longevity of a cable because cheap cables are likely to kink and have connectivity issues within their conductors. That's why I went with a six-foot Anker USB A to USB C cable and a quality right-angle connector. I connect mine to the port in the center console, like I said above.

I'd love to know what the supposed latency requirements for AA and CP are that latency times in that range are a concern. A cabled connection would leave the APIM in a wait-state for times imperceptible by human senses. There would have to be a lot of instructions piling up on that wait-state before the human eye can notice any lag (which I'm now using that word since it is different than latency) since the threshold for that is roughly, on average (but not as a rule, see: competitive gamers), 13ms.
+1, USB loses more power per foot than it does add latency. Usually when the cable is the issue, it's just somebody bent the crap out of the end or is using a non-compliant A to C cable.

My Bronco supports wireless AA/carplay w/wireless charging on Sync 4 which clearly has a bit of lag compared to using wired.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dsiggi

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
For those that mentioned it likely an entire swap, thanks, I just looked and see that now. To the rest of you, Im glad I got such useful answers from a bunch of people without a 350R :facepalm:

Im sure I can fab something up myself at some point, have you seen an early 2000 Luxury car screen, they are hideous. Much cleaner look with no Nav. I'll reach out to some other people I know directly.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Anything you replace the 350R screen with today will still look like tech from today. If you're trying to future proof for 2050 then you're SOL as the rest of the car will be outdated by then anyway.

The car is perfectly acceptable for the time it was built and in 20 years I think we'll look back on this time with nostalgia. Spending any money today to try and predict what in car entertainment technology will look like is a waste of money and effort.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Anything you replace the 350R screen with today will still look like tech from today. If you're trying to future proof for 2050 then you're SOL as the rest of the car will be outdated by then anyway.

The car is perfectly acceptable for the time it was built and in 20 years I think we'll look back on this time with nostalgia. Spending any money today to try and predict what in car entertainment technology will look like is a waste of money and effort.
Great post by a GT350 owner. Oh wait, you do not own a GT350R. Get off my lawn!!!!

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Great post by a GT350 owner. Oh wait, you do not own a GT350R. Get off my lawn!!!!
I would drag your GT350R's shit in an actual timed competition you peasant. Get off your high horse. Just because you paid more up front doesn't mean this idea of yours isn't the dumbest thing posted to this subforum in months.

The concept than an LCD screen would look worse than the stupid bade model speak and spell looking calculator stereo is comical.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I would drag your GT350R's shit in an actual timed competition you peasant. Get off your high horse. Just because you paid more up front doesn't mean this idea of yours isn't the dumbest thing posted to this subforum in months.

The concept than an LCD screen would look worse than the stupid bade model speak and spell looking calculator stereo is comical.

maxresdefault.jpg
Kyle, you totally misunderstood my post. I own a measly GT/CS. I was commenting on the line in OP's post #17. It was a joke.

"To the rest of you, Im glad I got such useful answers from a bunch of people without a 350R"

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Kyle, you totally misunderstood my post. I own a measly GT/CS. I was commenting on the line in OP's post #17. It was a joke.

"To the rest of you, Im glad I got such useful answers from a bunch of people without a 350R"
That's what I get for replying from my phone lol.