Sponsored

What's a good ceramic coating for a black car?

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Learned so much here so far, used Gyeon Pure on my Red 2021 Convertible and also my sons Blue accord. Have a friend who has a 2020 Black challenger ( 480 HP one ) and I told him I would help him do a minor paint correction ( been garage kept so looks decent ) and a coating but not sure which one would give the best shine on a black car.
I love the candy apple effect Pure did to my Red car but it wasn't the easiest to get off.

Hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks.
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Learned so much here so far, used Gyeon Pure on my Red 2021 Convertible and also my sons Blue accord. Have a friend who has a 2020 Black challenger ( 480 HP one ) and I told him I would help him do a minor paint correction ( been garage kept so looks decent ) and a coating but not sure which one would give the best shine on a black car.
I love the candy apple effect Pure did to my Red car but it wasn't the easiest to get off.

Hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks.
With black, a product that creates slickness would help limit marring in the long term. As much as I like Gyeon Pure EVO, it's not the slickest coating on the market.

Staying with Gyeon, take a look at Mohs EVO, this provides that slickness missing from Pure EVO. It's wipe off window is shorter than Pure EVO, something to be aware of.

GYEON | Q2 MOHS EVO Ceramic Coating – Car Supplies Warehouse

Another brand to look at would be Armour Detail Supply, in particular the Quartz Coating. What gets my attention is the high solids content delivers actual real world durability claims, combined with a user-friendly application. It's also slick. Like their wheel coating, the high solids content does tend to harden the applicator quite quickly, so make sure to swap to a fresh one half way.

Armour Quartz Coating – Armour Detail Supply

OP
OP

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
With black, a product that creates slickness would help limit marring in the long term. As much as I like Gyeon Pure EVO, it's not the slickest coating on the market.

Staying with Gyeon, take a look at Mohs EVO, this provides that slickness missing from Pure EVO. It's wipe off window is shorter than Pure EVO, something to be aware of.

GYEON | Q2 MOHS EVO Ceramic Coating – Car Supplies Warehouse

Another brand to look at would be Armour Detail Supply, in particular the Quartz Coating. What gets my attention is the high solids content delivers actual real world durability claims, combined with a user-friendly application. It's also slick. Like their wheel coating, the high solids content does tend to harden the applicator quite quickly, so make sure to swap to a fresh one half way.

Armour Quartz Coating – Armour Detail Supply

Thanks, I agree about pure not being slick. Like the look but wish it felt slicker.
Will check out the armour one

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Slightly off-topic but are any ceramic coatings better than others for being able to just hose the car off of dust?

Mine stays in the garage but invariably ends up coated with dust from the openings & closings of the garage door.

If there was something that repelled the dust, even better, but can't see that being a lasting feature, even if it did exist.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
Slightly off-topic but are any ceramic coatings better than others for being able to just hose the car off of dust?

Mine stays in the garage but invariably ends up coated with dust from the openings & closings of the garage door.

If there was something that repelled the dust, even better, but can't see that being a lasting feature, even if it did exist.
Mine is ceramic coated, but it depends on the topper/dry aid I use after a wash whether it gets really dusty.

I tried bead maker for a long time with ceramic coated black, but ends up smearing over time and collects a lot of dust due to how sticky it is.

I've been staying with P&S Paint Gloss spray and it helps keep dust down and I get a lot of comments of how my black paint pops. I don't think it protects as well as Beadmaker, but it stays in the garage most times and doesn't see rain so for me it's fine.

Been thinking of going to a wax topper instead lately, but Paint Gloss works so well, I'm just too lazy.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Adams Graphene Advanced is really good also. My dad has a Shadow Black GT and we used that on his as well as my mom’s CT4-V (also black). Very slick as well

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue

Any ceramic coating should have no problem with that but keep in mind you will get water spots over time, which are worse than dust. Yes you can chemically remove them or polish them off if you have to but these options are worse than dust.

That being said, before i got a house with a garage i used to have to park my old car under trees which would just rain down all kinds of hell-sticks, twigs, leaves, bird shit etc and i would hose it off in the morning before driving to work-in this case, a few water spots were preferrable to that shit sitting on my paint waiting for me to wash the car.

blackk3389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
'19 BULLITT#3389, '03 cobra vert#2198,2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is ceramic coated, but it depends on the topper/dry aid I use after a wash whether it gets really dusty.

I tried bead maker for a long time with ceramic coated black, but ends up smearing over time and collects a lot of dust due to how sticky it is.

I've been staying with P&S Paint Gloss spray and it helps keep dust down and I get a lot of comments of how my black paint pops. I don't think it protects as well as Beadmaker, but it stays in the garage most times and doesn't see rain so for me it's fine.

Been thinking of going to a wax topper instead lately, but Paint Gloss works so well, I'm just too lazy.
i have to agree P&S is awesome stuff. it makes black paint look slick and like glass. i just started using it. saw it on clearance for $5 a month ago and decided to try it, i should have bought them out.....lol

OP
OP

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang

Dream maker seems to help mine but doesn’t protect much or last

Sponsored
OP
OP

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Can you apply a coating over another coating. I wish gyeon pure felt slick

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Can you apply a coating over another coating. I wish gyeon pure felt slick
Not typically, the coating that is already on the car will reject the new one. A spray coating, or topper, can be used to add slickness

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
Dream maker seems to help mine but doesn’t protect much or last
I use Dream Maker as well, I tend to switch between that and the Paint Gloss. Dream Maker is a bit harder to apply for not enough benefit over Paint Gloss. I put Paint Gloss on everything, windows, mirrors, windshield wipers, license plate. Typically spray and wipe after blowing off 90% of the water off.

On my silver and white trucks, I use P&S Bead Maker every time. Doesn't show the smears, holds up and looks great. Just isn't great on black due to dust.

OP
OP

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I use Dream Maker as well, I tend to switch between that and the Paint Gloss. Dream Maker is a bit harder to apply for not enough benefit over Paint Gloss. I put Paint Gloss on everything, windows, mirrors, windshield wipers, license plate. Typically spray and wipe after blowing off 90% of the water off.

On my silver and white trucks, I use P&S Bead Maker every time. Doesn't show the smears, holds up and looks great. Just isn't great on black due to dust.
Will try paint gloss also