Sponsored

Let’s talk Throttle Body upgrade on NA 5.0

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
So I’ve had my 21 Mach 1 for 3 years and 22k miles now and I love it but always looking for the next mod for a little more without going too far.
Engine Performance wise I have a flex tune, h-pipe & AirRaid filter.
Feel like the only next thing other than FI is headers and I’m not interested in the volume increase in the cabin or expense for 20hp.
So, 2 days ago I see the vendor, Soler Performance who sells Throttle Bodies for $500 that supposedly have a lot of seat of the pants power bump, drivability, & street liveliness benefits.
No special tuning, 10 min install.
I looked up some threads back in 22 and lots of people from GT’s , Bullits , and gt350’s had good things to say.
Some people were skeptical.
Looking for more input from others who may of tried this mod or heard things 2 years later.
Here’s the link- https://www.solerengineering.com/ford-motor/bullitt-mach1
Sponsored

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Seems too good to be true. A throttle body that doesn't require tuning? What's the point then? It can't quite possibly add any horsepower. Most throttle bodies are more of a head ache than worth the money to get them tuned correctly but if this thing requires zero tuning I couldn't see it being any different than a stock one.

K Myers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
I changed mine from a 80mm to 85mm and it didn’t need a tune, it increased my throttle response. If you had a tune it would maximize your throttle body, seeing that you already have a flex tune it shouldn’t be hard to get a revision, you will be very HAPPY.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have been running my Soler Performance ported factory 2019 Bullitt throttle body for over 2 years now. Initial testing revealed codes indicating that the throttle body was sticking open and shut, which put the car into limp mode. I reached out to Mike @ Soler and he had me ship it back for a quick adjustment and I’ve had no issues ever since.

Mine was ported to 91MM and did not require a retune. I also run a Soler throttle controller with mine which can be adjusted on the fly by pressing a button on the screen or via Bluetooth with a cell phone.

IMG_2810.jpeg

IMG_2816.jpeg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
did he ever figure out how to properly wire up ALL the wires for 18+ cars? The only good results I saw from several threads was <18 and by far just gt350 folks.

the multitude of 'sticking' also didn't inspire me to pursue further.

Personally I'd probably come up with a half-donut that I can glue onto the front flat front face of the intake. Basically make it look like a horn.

Back when carbs were a thing, there were success stories of folks using vanes to 'tier' the intake flow so at small openings the vane would prevent the not-open part of the intake from tumbling. But I'm sure that has zero relevance now especially given the cavernous intake on the backside of the TB and that fuel is now DI/Port and very divorced from TB effects.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
what is the included angle of the first taper?
Am I seeing things or are there 3 'pockets' in the center? I'm guessing that allows an outsize in-rush of air past the blade even when only slightly cracked?

Last edited:

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Did any of the threads from back in 22 have back to back dyno charts, or was it all butt dyno results?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
did he ever figure out how to properly wire up ALL the wires for 18+ cars? The only good results I saw from several threads was <18 and by far just gt350 folks.

the multitude of 'sticking' also didn't inspire me to pursue further.
I’m not sure about that. After conversing with a Mike I decided to have Soler port a factory tb to avoid dealing with any wiring signal issues. If my memory serves me correctly, pre 18 throttle bodies used an analog signal and the 18+ used a digital signal.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did any of the threads from back in 22 have back to back dyno charts, or was it all butt dyno results?
no dyno. the max flow is basically no different than stock. It supposedly flows 'more/better/smoother' at small throttle openings.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
So according to them, you can't use a standard Dyno run to measure the benefits because their benefits are more from 0-60% throttle. They say WOT doesn't gain much.
So fast takeoff, eliminating Lag, more spirited pedal response and more air in lower RPM's.
When I called to discuss, the guy was saying 20-30hp in this lower RPM, partial throttle . If that makes sense.
I can also forward their forum response to my questions

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Soler Performance who sells Throttle Bodies for $500 that supposedly have a lot of seat of the pants power bump, drivability, & street liveliness benefits.
100% false, you are not going to notice 2-3hp gain. If you do, we might have to call Sarah Connor cuz you're some extraterrestial cyborg.

It's a waste of money for the power gain you get.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
ChitownStang said:
Can you please tell me how my 21 Mach 1, 10-speed would feel differently with your controller and throttle body.
FYI , I have Livernois Flex tune
Of course!

You will receive the benefit of more airflow which equates to faster throttle response. You will experience a lower weight-to-power ratio at part throttle, making your driving experience more nimble and sprinted. You will experience crisper shifts and immediate response right off idling while keeping the idle function undisturbed.

Our primary focus was on drivability and improved performance in the partial throttle area (right after idle till about 50% to 80% blade opening). That increased airflow/hp/torque will always be there, regardless of anything else you add or remove. It is hard to quantify precise numbers for those gains at partial throttle (load dyno would be needed plus vehicle-specific scenarios). However, the percentage increase is significant, and you can feel it without a dyno.

The TB adds real air and power at every throttle position from idle to Wide Open Throttle (WOT), which can be most noticeable during daily driving at low or partial throttle levels up to WOT. By changing the geometry of the part, a smoother curve and power delivery that is crisp and predictable can be achieved, which helps eliminate hesitation, lag, and stumbling. The TC doesn't add any power or air, but instead, it changes the electronic component to allow you to fine-tune how fast the throttle will respond (TB blade opening %). Both the TB and TC work great independently, but when paired together, they complement each other for maximum benefit and potential. In short, the OEM throttle body is only one part of the entire problem, and it is recommended that you try both the TB and TC to see the best results.

McAllister Brooks
Sales & Marketing Manager
Soler Performance LLC (solerengineering.com)
Use discount code LL5%OFF at checkout!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
t's a waste of money for the power gain you get
right, as he is want of repeating, there is no more power. It's marketed as a driveability improvment.

My '19 GT with Unleashed tune is always spot on. I don't have drive modes on that car. The M1 is factory and I significantly dislike the 'sport' mode throttle response. but it also is bang on nuts n normal etc that I have zero coplaints.

Ford did a half-assed job on the GT350 it seems so I can understand the chorus of cheerleading out of that camp. The the FP crank may well need help in <35% throttle connection.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@ChitownStang do you actually have a documentable beef with your car? Maybe what you think is a problem is not throttle but A10 shift-strategy + torque management.

If you had 6MT like @Mikepol2 (also has Livernois Flex) you probably wouldn't experience the same.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, I have no beef with my car Matt. It runs great and is really fast. I've put way too much into it to trade for another Mach 1 manual, not worth it IMO and I know what I have with mine, problem free... (knock on wood) The 10-speed has been working fine lately actually.
But.... I am always looking for more, maybe it's boredom... not sure.
Why did I spend $1500 on Girodisc slotted rotors... weight, looks.. or boredom. LOL
The TB just seems like something that may liven up the feel of the car for little $ or risk so I am researching it.
Sponsored