Sponsored

GT350 Engine Concerns...

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I have no concerns or worry about my engine. My dealer supports a lifetime powertrain warranty (well technically million mile/hundred year) for this car anyway. Don't mod the power train and your fine. Don't put non-recommended fuel in it. Engine problems can happen to any car, but seems very rare here. Remember, you don't hear much from the vast majority that never have an issue. No reason to post "hey it's all great here!".
Damn thats great. This is the one car that a lifetime power train warranty is a godsend. I'm going to ask about that at my dealership. Id rather have that over the extended warranty.
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
2016 and early 2017 models have a different style of oil filter. Early version was fine if torqued correctly but it seemed that was a source of failure due to no one RTFM. Not sure if the 2017 you are looking at has the canister style or not but might factor into your buying decision
So the 2018+ have the canister style? Does that mean it can be hand twisted in and no need for it to be torqued down?

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
So the 2018+ have the canister style? Does that mean it can be hand twisted in and no need for it to be torqued down?
Filter canisters usually have a lid with a gasket that bolts on and is torqued down; the filter just rests in the canister and is sealed top and bottom as the lid is tightened. Haven't played with a 2018+ GT350 canister, but I can't imagine it's different from all other cars that use canisters.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I went through this same mind game. I finally came to the conclusion that it was worth the risk. This was November of last year and so far my fears were unfounded. Not a drop of oil consumption and not a single problem. I am careful to warm the car up and I check the oil regularly. I also will not modify the engine. I use a local Ford dealer for all my service (they have the same guy who loves these cars and does a great job on them do all my oil changes/service, not the rookie). If the engine goes, it goes and Ford seems to be covering it with no issues.

I love the car so much I plan on buying an extended powertrain warranty so I will not have to worry for a long time if there is any type of engine failure.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I went through this same mind game. I finally came to the conclusion that it was worth the risk. This was November of last year and so far my fears were unfounded. Not a drop of oil consumption and not a single problem. I am careful to warm the car up and I check the oil regularly. I also will not modify the engine. I use a local Ford dealer for all my service (they have the same guy who loves these cars and does a great job on them do all my oil changes/service, not the rookie). If the engine goes, it goes and Ford seems to be covering it with no issues.

I love the car so much I plan on buying an extended powertrain warranty so I will not have to worry for a long time if there is any type of engine failure.
Yep. I think it may be a safer bet to buy from someone who has a demonstrated good motor with no consumption issues and regular used oil analyses. I might know a guy ...

Sponsored

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I can tell you from my experience with having to have a replacement motor that if over the life of my warranty I needed 30 motor replacements, this is the best car I've ever driven and owned. You've driven a few GT350s........go buy one. Make sure you find a Certified Pre-owned with 7/100k and enjoy it!!!

Just
Go
Buy
A
GT350
NOW!!!!!!

OP
OP
Calipony

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I can tell you from my experience with having to have a replacement motor that if over the life of my warranty I needed 30 motor replacements, this is the best car I've ever driven and owned. You've driven a few GT350s........go buy one. Make sure you find a Certified Pre-owned with 7/100k and enjoy it!!!

Just
Go
Buy
A
GT350
NOW!!!!!!
Good idea on the CPO! If I don’t find it with warranty, can it be added somehow?

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Good idea on the CPO! If I don’t find it with warranty, can it be added somehow?
Yes you can get an extended warranty form Ford. If you search the forums you will find some Ford dealers who sell the extended warranties online and offer competitive prices.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Calipony

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes you can get an extended warranty form Ford. If you search the forums you will find some Ford dealers who sell the extended warranties online and offer competitive prices.
Ok cool. How does that work, I’m assuming you have to bring the car in for a once over ...? How much would these cost? 7yr, lifetime, etc.

Unclenard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R #KR666, 2023 Bronco Sasquatch
Tomorrow I'm picking up a 2018 with 6000 miles that had an engine replacement at 5000 miles due to bad oil pressure/leaks. I was in the same boat as you; sort of (but not really) worried that it would happen to me - then I realized it had already happened in the car I put a deposit on. But like others have said, engine failures happen everywhere - I think that when there's a car out there as "special" as the GT350, engine failures are talked about more than Uncle Jim's 2016 BMW 328i. So it gets blown out of proportion more than it needs to - by a LONG shot.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Check yer oil, you’ll be fine/ thread
Sponsored