What kind of supercharger should I get?

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
I have a 19 base gt with manual. I have 7k total I can spend on getting one installed, does anyone have any ideas where I can buy one and have it installed at 7k or less? I’d really like the Whipple but it seems outta my range so I’ve been looking at procharger or Roush. I’d like 700-800 rwhp
Honestly this probably isn't the answer you are looking for but you shouldn't put a blower on your car if finances are an issue.

Race cars come with race car problems, things will wear out faster and you will break parts that n/a cars won't. Are you prepared to have a very fancy paperweight while you save up for a new motor / trans?
Sponsored

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
ok, so the hills and curvy roads aren't in your backyard, but come-on, book some lodging near the mountains and make a weekend of it from time to time.
Yeah I’m just a busy guy. Wish I logged a lot more miles. Work...kids...etc. Since Covid I work remotely until further notice so I’ve been able to find some fun spots outside of town to let her rip.

That's because the new 500 does everything else well (including braking and turning) and not just straight line rips.

If straight line rips is all anyone cared about, we'd all sell our cars and buy Foxbodies and throw a TT coyote in it and run 7's all day long.

The reason a lot of people like PD blowers is because of the direct and linear power delivery.

Centrifugals are more efficient (and cheaper) but the power delivery is more exponential as in, it's pretty tame down low and opens up wildly the higher you climb in RPM. So in a sense, centri's are the better choice if you want something that's really "stock" like in lower rpm cruise driving. Takes a little more getting used to the power curve.
Thanks for the info. And I agree, the 500 is a well rounded car and there is a lot more to it than straight line pulls. However most guys who own one don’t use it for anything more than trips to cars and coffee on Saturday mornings. LOL

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yeah I’m just a busy guy. Wish I logged a lot more miles. Work...kids...etc. Since Covid I work remotely until further notice so I’ve been able to find some fun spots outside of town to let her rip.

Thanks for the info. And I agree, the 500 is a well rounded car and there is a lot more to it than straight line pulls. However most guys who own one don’t use it for anything more than trips to cars and coffee on Saturday mornings. LOL
You don't have to take the car to an SCCA event to enjoy the benefits of braking and turning. This is a one of the typical claims from straight line queens, but unless you've driven or ridden in a car on drag slicks with no sway bar and the ass squats taking off from every stop light and it's scary just changing lanes at 60 mph, then you don't really miss or appreciate a car that can drive fast in a straight line and also do everything else well.

I like to be able to take on ramps and offramps with confidence or turn sharply and suddenly. I like to be able to brake rapidly. It makes cruising in traffic way more confident that I can react suddenly and still be okay.

If all I cared about was straight line pulls, I'd be driving slicks and skinnies and a roll bar trailer queen. What I'm saying is yeah, can you build a car to keep up with the 500 for half the price? Sure. But that car does WAY more than just 1/4 ETs.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Op, remember that Ford did not design the coyote as it comes on a GT to take forced induction with the reliability of a NA car. Because if they did, the GT500 would not have forged pistons and other stronger parts.
You will take risk if you put a blower on it. For sure. If your budget is tight you might have to forgo.
If you still want the blower, then you logically must use the one that has the best reputation for safety over power.
Then you are likely looking at Whipple or Roush. Not sure on the centris.

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
You don't have to take the car to an SCCA event to enjoy the benefits of braking and turning. This is a one of the typical claims from straight line queens, but unless you've driven or ridden in a car on drag slicks with no sway bar and the ass squats taking off from every stop light and it's scary just changing lanes at 60 mph, then you don't really miss or appreciate a car that can drive fast in a straight line and also do everything else well.

I like to be able to take on ramps and offramps with confidence or turn sharply and suddenly. I like to be able to brake rapidly. It makes cruising in traffic way more confident that I can react suddenly and still be okay.

If all I cared about was straight line pulls, I'd be driving slicks and skinnies and a roll bar trailer queen. What I'm saying is yeah, can you build a car to keep up with the 500 for half the price? Sure. But that car does WAY more than just 1/4 ETs.
You're absolutely right. I don't disagree. I debate in my head what to do...my car is quick stock; If I upgrade to a '18 intake manifold and add headers and high flow cats (damn you smog tests!) I would be plenty quick. Then I can add handling and braking components and have the best of both worlds...no supercharger needed.

Sponsored

SplawnDarts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible, 2013 Nissan Frontier
OP should consider the following factors:
  • You budget and your ambitions don't match up.
  • Do you need a powertrain warranty? If you can barely afford a SC, could you afford a new transmission or engine?
  • Will you need to pass emissions somewhere? What state? What's required? When?
  • 700 rwhp is pushing the limit on pump gas and a stock Coyote motor. Something has to give. Either higher octane gas, or increased RPM (does the kit do anything to improve engine balance?), or water injection etc. Most kits target no more than about 700 RWHP for this for a reason. Most target slightly less.
  • Think about what RPM range you actually operate in, especially with the '19 manual with the taller MT82-D4 gearing. If you shift from 2nd to 3rd at 7000 RPM, you're going to end up at 4731 RPM. So it's not just power at the top that matters. Some kits that don't make as much max RPM power like TVS-based kits make more power down low.
  • Think about tires. All the kits make enough power to break street tires loose up to 60mph or so. The 235/50/18 all seasons on a stock GT are going to be way worse than that. Is this a drag car that will get drag radials? Is it a street car that will get Pilot Sport 4Ss? Either way you're probably going to want new wheels.

OP
OP
Marketplaza

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
OP should consider the following factors:
  • You budget and your ambitions don't match up.
  • Do you need a powertrain warranty? If you can barely afford a SC, could you afford a new transmission or engine?
  • Will you need to pass emissions somewhere? What state? What's required? When?
  • 700 rwhp is pushing the limit on pump gas and a stock Coyote motor. Something has to give. Either higher octane gas, or increased RPM (does the kit do anything to improve engine balance?), or water injection etc. Most kits target no more than about 700 RWHP for this for a reason. Most target slightly less.
  • Think about what RPM range you actually operate in, especially with the '19 manual with the taller MT82-D4 gearing. If you shift from 2nd to 3rd at 7000 RPM, you're going to end up at 4731 RPM. So it's not just power at the top that matters. Some kits that don't make as much max RPM power like TVS-based kits make more power down low.
  • Think about tires. All the kits make enough power to break street tires loose up to 60mph or so. The 235/50/18 all seasons on a stock GT are going to be way worse than that. Is this a drag car that will get drag radials? Is it a street car that will get Pilot Sport 4Ss? Either way you're probably going to want new wheels.
I’m in Kansas and no emissions, I already have a e85 tune so technically my warranty is void anyway. But when I get the sc installed I’m going to get a better trans so it can handle that power. But your right 700 rwhp would be plenty. I also plan on getting bigger tires to handle that power.

Dans5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10, PP1, Steeda H Pipe, Whipple Stage2 Supercharger
Honestly this probably isn't the answer you are looking for but you shouldn't put a blower on your car if finances are an issue.

Race cars come with race car problems, things will wear out faster and you will break parts that n/a cars won't. Are you prepared to have a very fancy paperweight while you save up for a new motor / trans?

That....

OP
OP
Marketplaza

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
There are really that many issues installing a sc? I’m also debating putting 4.09 gears as well. But I’d honestly prefer the sc and then do the gears, it just seems like everyone is against me putting on a sc. you’ve seen the steeda that’s got a coyote and a sc. I don’t think the headers are forged on that,

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I have a 19 base gt with manual. I have 7k total I can spend on getting one installed, does anyone have any ideas where I can buy one and have it installed at 7k or less? I’d really like the Whipple but it seems outta my range so I’ve been looking at procharger or Roush. I’d like 700-800 rwhp
Go with the Whipple! We offer them here at @LethalPerformance! Keep an eye out for our 4th of July sale! If you have any questions give us a call! 1.877.253.8425 https://www.lethalperformance.com/s...gt-coyote/superchargers/whipple-superchargers

Sponsored
OP
OP
Marketplaza

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

Fatevilmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT in Grabber Blue
Contact BEEFCAKE , you can get his 900HP Paxton 2200SL beefcake special ! Go take a look. You’ll make 680whp or more !

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
OP, your comments are not adding up. You are wanting to stay at max $7k and get over 700 whp...not happening...now you are saying you will add a better trans...have you priced what it cost for a new trans and install? I have to ask, why did you get the manual if you knew you would be going for max power? Most of us buy manuals, for the enjoyment of rowing the gears.....knowing that all things equal, the A10 (and many other cars) will eat it up off the line. You haven't mentioned better half shafts, which that manual will definitely need at 700 whp.....the list can and will get longer as you add more supporting mods...suspension, brakes, exhaust.

I’m in Kansas and no emissions, I already have a e85 tune so technically my warranty is void anyway. But when I get the sc installed I’m going to get a better trans so it can handle that power. But your right 700 rwhp would be plenty. I also plan on getting bigger tires to handle that power.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase